Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I have inadvertently acquired a cat.

Any advice/tips? Never owned a cat before.

Homeless guy living in a broken down car outside of the grocery store asked if I could take care of him for a little bit, car is along a busy street and he was worried that the cat would be hit by a car. This was a reasonable concern, considering the cat almost got hit by a car while I was standing there talking to him...one year old male, very sweet.

Did some reading up on other parts of the internet/talked to friends, bought some basics (litter box, litter, food, toy), he's been out exploring a bit today but has mostly been curled up on the bathroom counter with his blanket.

Things seem pretty smooth so far, used the litter box without prompting and already getting along with the dog, nose bumps within five minutes of meeting.

How long is "for a little bit"?

Sometimes it is good to keep them locked in the house when they are new for a while so they do not run away. We lost our cat for nearly a month when we moved. He found us again, no idea where he went.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Meh, as long as he has his own water dish, (and food dish that's not reachable by the dog), the cat should be fine. They take care of themselves mostly. You're just a mobile heater and food-giver.

Oh, you have screens right? Don't want him getting out and getting lost and "going home"

We require loads of petting :3

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Make sure you have something for the cat the scratch if he hasn't been declawed. They like corrugated cardboard (sprinkle some catnip to attract them to it), but you might want to have a scratching post too (usually has some type of rope wrapped around wood). It is typical for a cat to not explore much for the first few days of a new place...but once he gets used to it, he'll be everywhere. Make sure you don't have anything too valuable sitting high somewhere that they might bump down (it isn't always intentional).

You'll probably have to get a few different types of toys (just get cheap ones) to see what the cat likes. One of my cats like the basic mouse type toys...but the other prefers a curved piece of plastic he bounces all over the house. You can "marinate" the soft cat toys in a bag of catnip to help attract them too.

Otherwise, enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Meh, as long as he has his own water dish, (and food dish that's not reachable by the dog), the cat should be fine. They take care of themselves mostly. You're just a mobile heater and food-giver.
    Was going to say, so far it seems pretty easy. Concerned about my expensive leather couches, however....woke up this morning to scratch marks...was displeased...he has a sweet personality though, found a good spot to perch on next to the window.

Food and water dish are for now next to his sleeping spot (dog can't reach either, although he seems to prefer the dog's water bowl), litter box in the same room.

Deleted
    we obv require pictures for closer inspection of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    How long is "for a little bit"?

Sometimes it is good to keep them locked in the house when they are new for a while so they do not run away. We lost our cat for nearly a month when we moved. He found us again, no idea where he went.
    Not sure. Might be permanent, might be until his owner finds a permanent place that is not his broken down car. I told him I'd be happy to give him his cat back if when he finds a place, if he wanted him back. Both he and his dog (who found the cat as a kitten) are very bonded with him, and I'm not going to be a dick and take some homeless guy's cat from him.

In any case, I'm happy to cat-sit for the time being. He seems to like my dog quite a bit. And yes, definitely staying in the house for now.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Make sure you have something for the cat the scratch if he hasn't been declawed. They like corrugated cardboard (sprinkle some catnip to attract them to it), but you might want to have a scratching post too (usually has some type of rope wrapped around wood). It is typical for a cat to not explore much for the first few days of a new place...but once he gets used to it, he'll be everywhere. Make sure you don't have anything too valuable sitting high somewhere that they might bump down (it isn't always intentional).

You'll probably have to get a few different types of toys (just get cheap ones) to see what the cat likes. One of my cats like the basic mouse type toys...but the other prefers a curved piece of plastic he bounces all over the house. You can "marinate" the soft cat toys in a bag of catnip to help attract them too.

Otherwise, enjoy.
    Yup, the need for a scratching post became apparent quite quickly. >.> He did find a cardboard box that he likes, will try making a trip to the pet store later tonight for a few more necessities.

He's also not fixed, but his owner said he was ok with me taking him in for a neuter (he actually said he would prefer that I did).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gbtg View Post
    we obv require pictures for closer inspection of the situation.
    I'll upload some for sure! :3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mellomania View Post
    We require loads of petting :3
    *happily offers loads of pets* <3

Both my cats are from the streets, i would check for worms etc, one of mine had tons, when he threw up you could see tons of worms crawling around it's all good now though and they love it here chilling.

but has mostly been curled up on the bathroom counter with his blanket.

That's what cat is.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Cats are mostly self sufficient as long as they're fed, have water, and have somewhere clean to poop and piss. Only real advice is to not keep the water and the food in the same place, cats tend to like that better.

Just keep him indoors and don't push him into interacting if he feels unsecure, he'll be curious about you soon enough on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Was going to say, so far it seems pretty easy. Concerned about my expensive leather couches, however....woke up this morning to scratch marks...was displeased...he has a sweet personality though, found a good spot to perch on next to the window.

Food and water dish are for now next to his sleeping spot (dog can't reach either, although he seems to prefer the dog's water bowl), litter box in the same room.
    *hugs* say goodbye to those. They'll be dropping in value the longer you have a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    *hugs* say goodbye to those. They'll be dropping in value the longer you have a cat.

Maybe covering them in comforters/heavy throws? Going to put the scratching posts next to them with some catnip as suggested.

Maybe covering them in comforters/heavy throws? Going to put the scratching posts next to them with some catnip as suggested.
    Oh, the cat will love to try them out occationally, even when it knows it's not allowed to. I learned that from my cat. Always sprinted away when she noticed I saw her clawing the sofa. Pesky cats like doing it, allowed or not

Some heavy blankets might work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Look up training it to use the scratching post and be sure to keep its nails trimmed. Depending on how you feel about it, you could go the declaw route. But I would personally look into all other options first.

Deleted
    Never give your cat milk.

Don't declaw the cat, it cannot help it, don't go around hurting it just for something that is in its nature. If you think about declawing your cat, you shouldn't be holding any animals...

Just use something to protect the couch, or get something he can sharpen on that he likes more. Some catnip and you can make any cat "like something more"

Apart from that just never forget... cat owns the place & you are merely his/her servant - and you'll do just fine
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

10+ Year Old Account
    i pm'd you some real solid cat advice celista.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Whether the cat is neutered or not will be very important in this situation.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Cats are pretty chill. Just give him food and water whenever he wants, and a litter box to use the facilities. If he was raised around other cats he'll have better social skills. The biggest decision you'll have to make is if you are going to let him outside or not. My cat is an all indoor cat but he has plenty of windows to look through; he came from the humane society where they live a bunch of cats in one room so he's very social.

Also just correct the behavior if the cat does something you don't like; I don't know why people joke about cats doing whatever they want, you can train them what's good and bad. Training them to do tricks, now that might be difficult =P