Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you feel bad for Arthas and how he never found peace

I don't know what is going on with Arthas in the afterlife now, but whatever it is, it's not pleasant.

From what was shown in the short story for Sylvanas, he's apparently forced to suffer in infinite darkness for all eternity being tortured by shades as a helpless boy. This fate scares Sylvanas enough to do what she does now. Apparently some form of his consciousness is also tied to Frostmourne's remains and when you seemingly destroy it, he lashes out in total fear. Arthas Menethil is also remembered in history by everyone, even Garrosh, as one of the worst monsters in Azeroth's history. No one remembers him for his goodness.

When you remember that he was originally a great man driven to protect his people and didn't even find even the slightest redemption for all his efforts, it's horribly sad. Moreso when Sylvanas is still roaming about.

Everything that happened to Arthas is his fault.

Sylvanas wouldn't be doing what she is if it wasn't for Arthas.

He may of had a noble cause at first, but he didn't take any good steps to work towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsake View Post
    That's not true and you know it. His mind was corrupted and twisted by evil forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    That's not true and you know it. His mind was corrupted and twisted by evil forces.
    He ignored the warning signs and took the risks. I do agree that Sylvanas is basically Arthas though. The difference is she's not dying any time soon.

Had he listened to his mentor Obi-wan Uther, then Anakin Arthas would not have fallen to darkness.

Instead he was an arrogant fool who disregarded all those around him.

It's like if you get so drunkenly wasted and kill someone in a car accident. Yes your mind was twisted by the alcohol but you're still morally responsible for putting yourself in that situation to begin with. He was already losing it before he acquired Frostmourne anyways so to blame it all on that is a stretch.

I distinctly remember thinking during the WC3 human campaign "wow this guy is going bonkers and really losing it" and whenever I went back and replayed it he seemed like more of a spoiled bratty Anakin each time.

Arthas is directly responsible for his own downfall. That's why he's such a tragic character. He did it to himself and became the evil he sought to destroy.
    Last edited by Strategos; 2016-09-12 at 03:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one remembers him for his goodness.
    I certainly don't. Arthas did good stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsake View Post
    except there was an entire wc3 mission just kelthuzad telling you (arthas) that everything that has happend was one big scheme to summon archimonde.

Quote Originally Posted by brob View Post
    except there was an entire wc3 mission just kelthuzad telling you (arthas) that everything that has happend was one big scheme to summon archimonde.
    The fact that he got played by forces far more cunning than he at the time doesn't make him any less responsible for his actions, which were entirely his own, prior to wielding Frostmourne.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I certainly don't. Arthas did good stuff?
    fought the undead sacrificed his own soul to protect his people.
    all while he was in his early 20s. having the entire regions of the biggest human nation and its populations fate in his hands.

people forget that he was a 22 year old fighting legions of his own people and having his own comrades not only die but be forced to join the slaughter

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos View Post
    The fact that he got played by forces far more cunning than he at the time doesn't make him any less responsible for his actions, which were entirely his own, prior to wielding Frostmourne.
    he didnt have the luxury of being a rts player. he was barely an adult push into one of the most horrific wars in there worlds history

he was stupid yes but in his shoes makes total sense

No. Arthas' story is perfect because of the tragic ending - not every character should find peace or make amends.

Quote Originally Posted by KayOfGames View Post
    No. Arthas' story is perfect because of the tragic ending - not every character should find peace or make amends.
    I dont consider something extremely cliché and done better before to be "perfect".
    I hated all of Arthas' story from beginning to end. Its not very Warcraft at all.

Quote Originally Posted by brob View Post
    the big scheme dont contradict the arthas' fault, they find a weak

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHeimdall View Post
    I dont consider something extremely cliché and done better before to be "perfect".
    I hated all of Arthas' story from beginning to end. Its not very Warcraft at all.
    "Cliche?" "Done better before?" What are you even talking about? You DO know the story of Arthas, right???

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strategos View Post
    Betraying the Mercenaries was pretty shit, but that were only Trolls, so yeah. At least he did something instead of waiting what will happen like the Rest of the Alliance or fleeing like the Horde and in Stratholme, he was right. Most of the People in Stratholme were already doomed, everything Arthas could do was saving them from becoming Members of the Scourge and letting them die as Human, What would you prefer, becoming an eternally damned Undead and be mindcontrolled to attack and kill everything you love and hold dear or find piece after one, single Blow of the Warhammer of your Prince?

And Frostmourne was back luck. He was ready to sacrifce his own Soul for his people, he couldn't know that this was a trap by the Scourge itself. It's like saying "Oh, it's Darions own fault that he became an undead Death Knight after killing himself in the middle of Scourgeland".

10+ Year Old Account
    I do feel bad for him, his worst acts where when his mind was controlled by Ner'Zhul/The Lich King or whatever. As a Paladin his worst act was the Culling of Stratholme, but that was pragmatic. Civilians are easier to kill than Scourge, don't fight back and don't spread the plague. Uther had his blinders on and I think what Arthas did was totally acceptable (not great or happy, but acceptable).

The fact that he is now cursed forever is really sad. He did his best to help his people, was mind-controlled and now is punished for eternity? Seems unfair to me.

I would even go so far as to say that if Arthas Menethil can be blamed personally for all the acts in his life then it is still unfair for curse him in agony for all eternity. I think people underestimate eternity... it's a long, long, long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Chris Metzen
    I would presume that many of you know the story of Arthas, the paladin, the Prince of Lordaeron who, as the Scourge started to show itself in his homeland, he fought the good fight. And the harder he sought to stem the tide of death as a result of the Scourge, the more it wore him down. And the more worn down he got, he started to betray his morals, started to betray the tenants that defined him as a paladin. Ultimately, he succumbed to the darkness he was trying to defeat. (BlizzCon2007)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KayOfGames View Post
    I agree. We don't want redemption for everyone. I like those stories where someone takes a wrong path, and pay for it at some point. We don't need all those "ok I see now that it was wrong of me doing so. Can you please forgive me and we can all live in happy unicorn land?"

He brought everything upon himself

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    Betraying the Mercenaries was pretty shit, but that were only Trolls, so yeah. At least he did something instead of waiting what will happen like the Rest of the Alliance or fleeing like the Horde and in Stratholme, he was right. Most of the People in Stratholme were already doomed, everything Arthas could do was saving them from becoming Members of the Scourge and letting them die as Human, What would you prefer, becoming an eternally damned Undead and be mindcontrolled to attack and kill everything you love and hold dear or find piece after one, single Blow of the Warhammer of your Prince?

And Frostmourne was back luck. He was ready to sacrifce his own Soul for his people, he couldn't know that this was a trap by the Scourge itself. It's like saying "Oh, it's Darions own fault that he became an undead Death Knight after killing himself in the middle of Scourgeland".
    and yet he ultimately failed

- - - Updated - - -

Arthas Deserve the deepest hole in Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.