Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Let me put is this way, OP. Without Blood Elves the Horde would be in a much worse spot game wise. Horde being the underdogs wasn't a joke statement back in vanilla. Blood Elves boosted the Horde population more than you would ever think.
    thats cause everyone on the loliance was playing nelf and human females
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Why do Horde has to be dark and bestial? Tauren are quite light in their theme.

Besides that, as a major fan of the Blood Elves as a race, here are my reasons why I like them:

- Mana thurst and magic addiction are things not taken lightly and have quite a potential for drama and darkness (and also always remind me of Dark Willow from Buffy)
    - Tragic story of suffering and loss in the 3rd war, treachery of their allies, but then finding new allies and new hope (in form of a new sunwell), so they don't become the "prettier forsaken".
    - I think, since the Horde already has a "civilised" race in form of the Forsaken (who have been Lordaeron humans), the BE are not that much of an exception.

Also, Blood Elves should be the race with the most powerful arcane skills in the Horde, which is a strategical point, just like the fact that their Kingdom shares some borders with Lordaeron / Forsaken territory and they can unite their forces to keep Alliance at bay.
    I wasn't meaning that they needed to be all dark and nasty. But generally the other races are more along the lines of looking really nasty and awesome. I love my Tauren <3.

But thanks for the answers everyone else seems to be arguing about population of servers more than lore of Blood Elfs haha

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Not really OP. They were added on the Horde because back in Vanilla, Blizzard was dealing with a problem of faction imbalance. Here's a history lesson for you.

Blizzard saw the massive faction imbalance in vanilla (it was like a 3:1 ratio in favor of Alliance as a whole) and decided something needed to be done. No matter how cool they made the Horde, how epic the story or how badass Blizzard discovered the ugly truth behind the MMORPG market - sex sells. The "basement-dwelling neckbeard" as they're referred to, want to play a lithe, sexy, nubile elf chick with skimpy clothes (which is why fantasy Asian MMOs go for skimpy as freakin' possible to boost sales). So Blizzard's gears started churning. "How do we get people to play the Horde more? We give them the skimpy, sexy elf race!" And to further cement their popularity, gave them an Alliance class (paladin) as a welcome mat for the influx of Alliance players attempting to contain their boners rushing the create new character button.
    Just to add to this, if I remember correctly the 3:1 Alliance:Horde ratio was mainly on the US and EU servers while Asian servers saw the opposite because asian people preferred to play more monstrous races. Adding Blood Elves ("pretty race") to Horde and Draenei (an "ugly/demonic" race) to the Alliance solved both these problems.

Perhaps thinking of Blood Elves as mana sucking vampires makes them more appealing to the OP. They may look pretty/sophisticated on the outside but that's just a facade. They are really not that different from the Forsaken.

Blood Elfs got great lore, but have bad models in game

Quote Originally Posted by faithbane View Post
    ok I understand now..

The official reason given for blood elves fel taint in game both pc/npc is that they were heavily "exposed" to the fel magic "at some point" so they are in that state now.. The players/npc blood elves in game right now were not part of the outland expedition (except for roommath and like 2 other guys), they never experimented with fel in outland (and events of in game sunwell hadn't even happened yet so no exposure there), they were actually in a pretty bad state suffering major withdrawals from arcane and had no other magical energy source to follow, some found the light and became paladins, some learned advanced arcane manipulations from other mages, other with less arcane affinity became warriors etc, which is the story of PC Blood elves.. only reason "blood elves" look the way they look is a design choice by blizzard to make them look different from high elves. All the fel corrupted elves either are still working for burning crusade as felblood elves still or died as withered.

If anything, if the BS story of just being exposed by fel can permacorrupt you physically is true, all the highborn of the war of the ancients and majority of the night elves should have been waaaaay more corrupted now.

No, it was clearly stated in lore it was due to the fel from the Warlocks. The Blood elves during TBC openly practiced fel magic around Silvermoon in covens and such, and it's why Blood elves got green eyes. The High elves did not get corrupted in two ways.

1. They got exiled by the Blood elves for refusing to suck magic out of living beings, before their eyes turned green
    2. They lived in Alliance lands/Dalaran or were part of the Outland expedition.

They confirmed it in Ask a cdev:

How did the blood elven fel eye glint become so widespread? The Warcraft Encyclopedia suggests that Rommath only taught the blood elves of Azeroth about how to siphon arcane magic, as most of the populace would likely be "horrified" if they knew the true extent of Kael's dealings with Illidan.

The situation regarding blood elf eyes is, in fact, extremely similar to that of the green skin of orcs: just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green. You could be the most pious of priests or most outdoorsy of Farstriders, chances are, if you were a high elf in Quel'Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green. Like the orcs' skin color, such an effect would take a very long time to wear off. Fel magic works a bit like radiation in this sense; it permeates the area and seeps into anything in the vicinity. Anything near a source of fel magic shows signs of slight corruption, it just so happens that high elves and orcs manifest it in a very visual way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I don't think I'll be able to change your view, but I personally play a Blood Elf because I like their storied history and their aesthetics - first as a Death Knight, and then as a Demon Hunter now in Legion. I tend to favor the grim classes as mains (e.g. Death Knight, Warlock, Demon Hunter, etc.) and find the contrast between these classes and your stereotypical Blood Elven foppishness to be interesting. I see my Demon Hunter as a stoic and intensely focused person who is most at home bathing in demonic blood and hewing through opponents, but will still occasionally stop to complain that his demonic horns make fixing his hair an unending trial.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only dudes I like are Lorthemar and Kael'thas. First one because he is badass aristocratic-like mofo (Id like if he get Legion's Greymane treatment), second one is noble-crazy bastard.

They built their home ontop of the million dead trolls!!!

I didn't like Blood Elves at first, 10 years ago. But then all their features and moments in the game made me like them.

You have these badass dudes in outland who took over Tempest Keep, they built a bunch of machines to funnel magic from the nether. KaelThas... kinda was cool... not really. Illidan's top Demon Hunter was a Blood Elf who was said to be just as powerful as he was before consuming the skull of Gul'dan.
    WotLK, it's revealed that Arthas raised a bunch of them to be the Scourge's version of Dreadlords and the Queen was awesome.
    It wasn't until Lor'themar's short story, that I started to like them more though. I liked how he never wanted to be the leader of the Elves, but he has to do right by them.
    Then MoP happened and I fell in love with the Blood Elves. The stuff they did, the finding the Divine Bell and retaking it back from the Night Elves(yeah, those dicks stole it) and then the Purge of Dalaran happened and going there and saving as many people as I could, while Jaina was murdering them. They were pretty cool in Isle of Thunder aswell.

And now in Legion... I main a Blood Elf Demon Hunter and Kayn is my homie.

Deleted
    This is the most lame post i ever see.I hate you - Change my View?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    No, it was clearly stated in lore it was due to the fel from the Warlocks. The Blood elves during TBC openly practiced fel magic around Silvermoon in covens and such, and it's why Blood elves got green eyes. The High elves did not get corrupted in two ways.

1. They got exiled by the Blood elves for refusing to suck magic out of living beings, before their eyes turned green
    2. They lived in Alliance lands/Dalaran or were part of the Outland expedition.

They confirmed it in Ask a cdev:

How did the blood elven fel eye glint become so widespread? The Warcraft Encyclopedia suggests that Rommath only taught the blood elves of Azeroth about how to siphon arcane magic, as most of the populace would likely be "horrified" if they knew the true extent of Kael's dealings with Illidan.

The situation regarding blood elf eyes is, in fact, extremely similar to that of the green skin of orcs: just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green. You could be the most pious of priests or most outdoorsy of Farstriders, chances are, if you were a high elf in Quel'Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green. Like the orcs' skin color, such an effect would take a very long time to wear off. Fel magic works a bit like radiation in this sense; it permeates the area and seeps into anything in the vicinity. Anything near a source of fel magic shows signs of slight corruption, it just so happens that high elves and orcs manifest it in a very visual way.
    First of all, there are no "high elves exiled by blood elves" in original lore, even if you didnt play play the WC3 game, there should be a lore brief somewhere online. there are no high elves gone to outland because they were already renamed themselves blood elves as a race by their freaking royal prince leader kaelthas. Blood elves name comes from the story of scourge and arthas attacking, and the renaming happened in the honor of all the fallen. That quote is very inconsistent and doesn't even name/explain the "source" of fel energies that supposably tainted the race or explain the question why when they were only experimented with arcane they were suddenly exposed to fel out of nowhere or how they even managed to conjure a fel in silver moon when no source existed. Like I already said, its one of the earlier examples of terrible writing by blizzard. And its entirely revolved around the fact that they wanted BEs to look different from the "high elves" splinter faction which they retconned into wow. Even if the BEs that joined the side of A'dal, formed a large portion of the BE race as we know it now, and after the events of outland returned to silver moon (after they stopped practicing fel magic) there is no reason why it should have affected BEs eyes back in silvermoon after they returned or does it explain why they already have the green eyes beginning of BC before those events happened! It would be like saying because green orcs ventured into nagrand, garrosh and the rest of the orcs skin there turned green because they were close together..

<recap>
    High elves renamed themselves as blood elves all the way back in WC3 before the issue we are discussing and they were lead by Kaelthas aka the prince of Quelthalas, who confirmed that they were called blood elves. So its funny that after WoW some of those blood elves went back to call themselves high elves?! although their rules and the whole race paid for a name change. "blood elf" name is not related to fel, its related to honoring the fallen against the scourge.

Finally, now take a deep breath, open your mind, and the read quote you posted. It proves my point and the issue you conveniently ignored. If by just being near fel energy the body gets corrupted, based on all the events of the war of the ancients, almost ALL elves should have had similar features. Including the highborn, the high elves that moved to silvermoon, and the night elves that moved to kalimdor because they were EXTREMELY exposed to the fel energies with a freaking burning crusade invasion, their lands crawling with demons and a massive legion portal opening in their backyard.

First of all, there are no "high elves exiled by blood elves" in original lore, even if you didnt play play the WC3 game, there should be a lore brief somewhere online..
    The former High Elves of Quel'Lithien Lodge don't agree with you.
    It's also referenced in Lor'Themar Theron's Short Story In the Shadow of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Garfurion View Post
    The former High Elves of Quel'Lithien Lodge don't agree with you.
    It's also referenced in Lor'Themar Theron's Short Story In the Shadow of the Sun
    lol did you even read the rest my post or did you edit out the rest on purpose in case people read it and realize I already had an answer to your response ? I'm saying THE WHOLE RACE was called blood elves much before any of the events in WoW including those rangers. Those exiled rangers were not "high elves" they were blood elves. the name blood elf has no relation with horde or corruption or fel magic. High elf dynasty/race/people whatever you wanna call them of Silvermoon, renamed themselves blood elves to honor those that had fallen to the scourge. they were exiled blood elves. nothing else

Well OP, if you needed a reason to not hate Blood Elves, you won't find it on this forum. Unfortunately the arguing happening above is typical in BE threads. You need only look back to the 100 something Purge of Dalaran threads to see it.

First of all, there are no "high elves exiled by blood elves" in original lore, even if you didnt play play the WC3 game, there should be a lore brief somewhere online. there are no high elves gone to outland because they were already renamed themselves blood elves as a race by their freaking royal prince leader kaelthas. Blood elves name comes from the story of scourge and arthas attacking, and the renaming happened in the honor of all the fallen. That quote is very inconsistent and doesn't even name/explain the "source" of fel energies that supposably tainted the race or explain the question why when they were only experimented with arcane they were suddenly exposed to fel out of nowhere or how they even managed to conjure a fel in silver moon when no source existed. Like I already said, its one of the earlier examples of terrible writing by blizzard. And its entirely revolved around the fact that they wanted BEs to look different from the "high elves" splinter faction which they retconned into wow. Even if the BEs that joined the side of A'dal, formed a large portion of the BE race as we know it now, and after the events of outland returned to silver moon (after they stopped practicing fel magic) there is no reason why it should have affected BEs eyes back in silvermoon after they returned or does it explain why they already have the green eyes beginning of BC before those events happened! It would be like saying because green orcs ventured into nagrand, garrosh and the rest of the orcs skin there turned green because they were close together..

<recap>
    High elves renamed themselves as blood elves all the way back in WC3 before the issue we are discussing and they were lead by Kaelthas aka the prince of Quelthalas, who confirmed that they were called blood elves. So its funny that after WoW some of those blood elves went back to call themselves high elves?! although their rules and the whole race paid for a name change. "blood elf" name is not related to fel, its related to honoring the fallen against the scourge.

Finally, now take a deep breath, open your mind, and the read quote you posted. It proves my point and the issue you conveniently ignored. If by just being near fel energy the body gets corrupted, based on all the events of the war of the ancients, almost ALL elves should have had similar features. Including the highborn, the high elves that moved to silvermoon, and the night elves that moved to kalimdor because they were EXTREMELY exposed to the fel energies with a freaking burning crusade invasion, their lands crawling with demons and a massive legion portal opening in their backyard.
    You clearly aren't familiar with High elf lore. The Allerian High elves in Outland continued to consider themselves High elves, and were at war with Kael's Blood elves whom they considered abominations. (Although they had better relations with the Scryers and Azeroth Belves, as Auric Sunchaser was allowed to be by the Sunwell)

And the Blood elves originally had blue eyes, their eyes turned green due to the warlock magics practiced by the Warlocks in Silvermoon. The exiled Blood elves didn't change their eye colors because they were exiled shortly after Rommath returned, which is when the Warlocks started practicing fel magic. This wasn't done openly so most Blood elves were unaware.

The exiles changed their name back to High elves and rejoined the other High elves such as Vereesa, who was never a Blood elf.

This isn't something they made up in TBC. Even back in Vanilla you had High elves with blue eyes and Blood elves with green/red eyes.

Hell the idea of the two having different eye colors stems back from Warcraft 3, with the High elf priest having a blue glow, and the Blood elf one having a green one.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    You have one of the most badass mages , rommath on the blood elves side if you like mages. As for blood elves almost leaving the horde, voljin almost left the horde too.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Deleted
    Honestly if you wanted them beastly the "Mana-sucking vampires" part should have done it for you.

It's true that in terms of gameplay, they were added because of a big imbalance between the Alliance and the Horde. In fact, from what I've read the original plan in BC was for the Alliance to get Blood Elves and the Horde to get Pandaran, which probably would have made more sense in terms of lore originally, and would have possibly fit your "Beastly" image more.

But if you want Lore as to why the Blood Elves belong in the horde, it's pretty simple. It started with TFT, when one alliance general nearly had the lot of them arrested and executed for, effectively, his own bigotry. So they threw their lot in with Illidan, a group of them went off with Kael'thas to outland, the rest stayed behind. They were looking for a way to join their bretheren. Meanwhile, they needed allies, and their former ranger-general, Sylvanas, pretty much gave them an in with the horde. Sure, it was an alliance of convenience at the time, but it was still something. Then they get to outland, lo and behold, Kael'thas has gone insane, they're left in the lurch again. The horde was all they had. True, when Garrosh was going crazy and ruining shit for everyone as a race they nearly left to go back to the Alliance, but once again one insane alliance leader nearly executed them [...admittedly Garrosh and one Blood Elf's fault] and they only had the horde to rely on.

The Blood Elves belong with the horde, lore wise, because the Horde are the ones who have been near consistantly there for them. Other than Garrosh's rain, and Sylvanas' vitriolic best buds relationship with Lor'themar, they've been accepted and respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    You clearly aren't familiar with High elf lore. The Allerian High elves in Outland continued to consider themselves High elves, and were at war with Kael's Blood elves whom they considered abominations. (Although they had better relations with the Scryers and Azeroth Belves, as Auric Sunchaser was allowed to be by the Sunwell)

And the Blood elves originally had blue eyes, their eyes turned green due to the warlock magics practiced by the Warlocks in Silvermoon. The exiled Blood elves didn't change their eye colors because they were exiled shortly after Rommath returned, which is when the Warlocks started practicing fel magic. This wasn't done openly so most Blood elves were unaware.

The exiles changed their name back to High elves and rejoined the other High elves such as Vereesa, who was never a Blood elf.

This isn't something they made up in TBC. Even back in Vanilla you had High elves with blue eyes and Blood elves with green/red eyes.

Hell the idea of the two having different eye colors stems back from Warcraft 3, with the High elf priest having a blue glow, and the Blood elf one having a green one.
    Oh I am quite familiar with the lore. What WC3 blood elf with green eyes you talking about lol? is that your fan fiction? You got me there for a second I actually went back to look, I still have the game and only thing different from the blood elf priest is the red robe they are wearing.. clearly visible blue eyes. also "The Allerian High elves in Outland" were Alleria and a handful of her soldiers that stayed behind on outland to close to portal to sacrifice themselves(lol and I dunno lore k?).. until in BC blizzard decided they somehow survived and multiple through mitosis? or something to have enough crew to maintain a stronghold? like seriously.

You are just agreeing with terrible writing that sweeps away established facts because it agrees with your fan fiction? Also at what point there were "Warlocks" in silvermoon and why were they practicing fel magic and how? Its stated rommath returned and showed people how to better use arcane, hell even out in nether storm they were working on manaforges and harvesting arcane energy from the nether storm. there were very few BE warlocks at the time and it wasn't a big trend among BEs. rommath went back to share new knowledge of harvesting arcane and somehow on his journey back home picked up fel magic? K sure.. This is definitely something they made up after the fact in TBC for the reasons I already stated above. If you can't make an argument, stop spewing word salad at me. I entertained myself enough in the office, time to go home and play. if you make a logical argument next time ill respond.. Feel free to address the other points I made that you quoted but didnt feel like responding to

The Blood Elves were created to get more Alliance players on the Horde. So of course it feels like they don't fit. Blizzard flat-out stated this.

My hatred of them as grown to a mere dislike over the years, as more and more bad stuff happened to the Horde (namely Garrosh).

They're "evil" enough for the current Horde though, if that's your concern...

Well, they were Night Elves that couldn't stand Druid Bullshit, so they gone east and abandoned most of the nightelf traditions(Overtime they grow weaker due to lack of Well of Eternity and on Old books it's hinted that they have brighter skin because they started sleeping at night and doin stuff on the light of the sun. While nightelves mostly sleeps at day.)

They were the best Arcane users on azeroth, but during a war with the Trolls they were losing. so they did asked help from Humans of arathor. Humans agreed and in return the Elves would teach humans all about magic and the Arcane. So Blood/High-Elves are responsible for pretty much every non-elven magic user on azeroth.

However, if you are specific about after they renamed themselves as Blood Elves, i recommend reading about the Blood Knights:
    http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Knight

Other than that, recent Blood Elves are pretty "meh" on my opnion. they have gone from experts of all kinds of magic to Mana-addicted ppl that doesn't actually do much stuff.

However, i like the Elvish visual in general. And you can always make a Demon Hunter, Illidari Bloodelves were pretty much traitors to their own kind.
    Signature was infraaaaaaaaaacted. Need a new one!

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Well OP, if you needed a reason to not hate Blood Elves, you won't find it on this forum. Unfortunately the arguing happening above is typical in BE threads. You need only look back to the 100 something Purge of Dalaran threads to see it.
    I noticed, I never knew about the imbalance or the debate surrounding it. I feel like I've opened a can of worms haha

Quote Originally Posted by Slyph View Post
    Honestly if you wanted them beastly the "Mana-sucking vampires" part should have done it for you.

It's true that in terms of gameplay, they were added because of a big imbalance between the Alliance and the Horde. In fact, from what I've read the original plan in BC was for the Alliance to get Blood Elves and the Horde to get Pandaran, which probably would have made more sense in terms of lore originally, and would have possibly fit your "Beastly" image more.

But if you want Lore as to why the Blood Elves belong in the horde, it's pretty simple. It started with TFT, when one alliance general nearly had the lot of them arrested and executed for, effectively, his own bigotry. So they threw their lot in with Illidan, a group of them went off with Kael'thas to outland, the rest stayed behind. They were looking for a way to join their bretheren. Meanwhile, they needed allies, and their former ranger-general, Sylvanas, pretty much gave them an in with the horde. Sure, it was an alliance of convenience at the time, but it was still something. Then they get to outland, lo and behold, Kael'thas has gone insane, they're left in the lurch again. The horde was all they had. True, when Garrosh was going crazy and ruining shit for everyone as a race they nearly left to go back to the Alliance, but once again one insane alliance leader nearly executed them [...admittedly Garrosh and one Blood Elf's fault] and they only had the horde to rely on.

The Blood Elves belong with the horde, lore wise, because the Horde are the ones who have been near consistantly there for them. Other than Garrosh's rain, and Sylvanas' vitriolic best buds relationship with Lor'themar, they've been accepted and respected.
    Oh I didn't think they were a totally bad fit. I knew they had some history that makes them not as nice as what they look like. I guess I was just looking for specific situations or characters that I may not know about that show how awesome they are. I literally no nothing about their current leader except that he has an eye-patch?

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyJester View Post
    The Blood Elves were created to get more Alliance players on the Horde. So of course it feels like they don't fit. Blizzard flat-out stated this.

My hatred of them as grown to a mere dislike over the years, as more and more bad stuff happened to the Horde (namely Garrosh).

They're "evil" enough for the current Horde though, if that's your concern...
    I knew they were sort of not good, but I don't know enough about them that shows them as awesome rather than the in the background race, much like the Tauren are now.
    Last edited by Factoral; 2016-09-13 at 02:39 PM. Reason: reasons