Thread: Metzen retiring

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    what the ever loving shit..... no way.

Lol why the fuck is he retiring. He's like 42 years old. What is he gonna do for income then? Or is Blizzard salary so good that he's basically a millionaire now?

I wish I could retire at 42. What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Lol why the fuck is he retiring. He's like 42 years old. What is he gonna do for income then? Or is Blizzard salary so good that he's basically a millionaire now?

You wish you could retire at 42, then say it's a joke that he can.

So... You wish your life were a joke? Wish granted!

Deleted
    ...As a few people have said, if you think you can do better than Metzen/Ghostcrawler/Kosak/Afrasiabi/etc., do it. It's that simple.

It never ceases to amaze me how many of you folks easily betray how emotionally invested in WoW you are. Not were but ARE. Those who truly turned their backs on WoW aren't here or on the official forums trashing the game at every opportunity. You're free to dislike changes to the game but if you're not willing to adapt to changes in someone else's world, then leave.
    I'd love too but I don't have the millions $ and the studio required to make a decent game.

10+ Year Old Account

Metzen's net worth estimated at around ten million dollars. I would retire in a heartbeat at 42 if I were sitting on something like that. That's live-well-off-the-interest-and-never-touch-the-principal territory. It's a lot more than salary. It's also investments, some income from things he holds rights to, stock options and who knows else.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-09-13 at 09:17 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I wonder if MMO-C will now start posting his tweets on the frontpage like they did with Ghostcrawler, who is old news by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I wonder if MMO-C will now start posting his tweets on the frontpage like they did with Ghostcrawler, who is old news by now.
    He never uses his account like...ever. Only when big stuff was going down like the movie announcement or recently when he retired. Basicly no, dont think so.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you perpetually buttshurt? Jesus your life must be horrible man.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post

Are you perpetually buttshurt? Jesus your life must be horrible man.
    Yeah people that work 50 hours a week at 60, what noobs!

OT: Sad to see him go but lol@"retiring" at 42 idd.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I'm guessing he will go on a long holiday and then show up somewhere else, like that bonfire studios. You don't just retire at 43.
    you do when you're a millionaire.. i am pretty sure everyone has forgotten that
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Quote Originally Posted by xpose View Post
    I don't think you understand what "retire" actually means. Most professionals don't "retire" and sit on the couch eating twinkies all day. They take some time off and then go do some consulting work on the side because they don't need the cash and can quit at any time. I guarantee you he will be doing some work with Bonfire and I'm willing to bet some of it was office politics at play forcing him out.
    I dont know where youre even getting this from. Nowhere in my post does it say hes going to sit on the couch all day and do nothing. I dont think you realize the amount of things you can do (and even have to do} when you have kids. He has two already plus the one that was just born, so he has enough to do there already.

Of course he could do a little side work or spend time on something hes passionate about, but he isnt leaving blizzard because of a conspiracy or because things are going down at blizzard which is what I responded to. Hes spending time with his family like he said, and will probably end up doing something he finds fun in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Expect Thrall to die in the next patch...
    Last edited by Exodius; 2016-09-13 at 09:52 PM.

Deleted
    Now we also know why Vol'Jin got replaced all the sudden after doing nothing as warchief.
    The last blizzard dev that understands the Horde told them he would leave and the others turned the faction right away into a Forsaken faction.

Sad day for those that beleave in the wc3 Horde, (without Blood Elfs and Forsaken)

Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    you do when you're a millionaire.. i am pretty sure everyone has forgotten that
    No you don't, if you've spent your life working then you will be bored as fuck. Bernie Ecclestone is like 86 and a billionaire and refuses to retire, loads of successful people are the same. Those who do retire young end up working again because they just get bored of sitting on their asses.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodius View Post
    Expect Thrall to die in the next patch...
    Thats what i thought. There is no way someone else would do voice for Thrall.
    But if thats not the case i guess they can pull him off from retirement for a while to do more voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabever View Post
    From WC2 to WC3 those who started blizzard and the WC IP did so much for the game. Then they created the greatest mmorpg ever. Then they sold to vivendi. That was really the beginning of the end. WoW became designed for instant gratification. With it GC and Metzen seemed to try to justify everything even though they had given license to ruin their IP. They ushered in the destruction of their game. He left at a good time. He can say subs were up. IMHO I think that the sub numbers did not meet the expectations for legion. Of all of the guild mates I played with in Vanilla through Wotlk, 4 still play.

They killed the game. Metzen helped.
    Jesus Christ, sometimes I can't believe the absurd nonsense in the heads of these kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    No you don't, if you've spent your life working then you will be bored as fuck. Bernie Ecclestone is like 86 and a billionaire and refuses to retire, loads of successful people are the same. Those who do retire young end up working again because they just get bored of sitting on their asses.
    a new expansion for wow was released..pretty sure he is going to play it..
    overwatch and the new wow expansion have been successfull
    he mentioned those when he was saying why he was retiring
    maybe he feels like they don't need his help anymore and he wants to play them
    you don't spend your life making games with no desire to play them
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

It's a shame he couldn't have waited that little bit longer and made the next blizzcon his last, then announcing his retirement not long after.

It would have been a good way for him to bow out. Going to miss him this year, I always enjoyed his enthusiasm and charisma.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's an artist; he's written several books. He has a new baby. He has plenty he can do including un-retire if he sees fit. I know at times he's expressed a desire to write for comics and graphic novels. Which is not to say that's what he's going to do. But he's got lots of money and all the time in the world.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    He's an artist; he's written several books. He has a new baby. He has plenty he can do including un-retire if he sees fit. I know at times he's expressed a desire to write for comics and graphic novels. Which is not to say that's what he's going to do. But he's got lots of money and all the time in the world.
    well that buys you is comfort, but it doesn't buy you a means of expressing yourself, and the thrill of showing that creativity to others.
    Perhaps he'll be writing novels now, spending time focused on that without being told what to do. Its funny because I always saw it that he was the one giving hints to people like Christie golden on what to write about in her novels for warcraft, but now he's no longer in character, will anyone from blizzard tell Him what to write about, if he were to write warcraft books?
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    well that buys you is comfort, but it doesn't buy you a means of expressing yourself, and the thrill of showing that creativity to others.
    Perhaps he'll be writing novels now, spending time focused on that without being told what to do. Its funny because I always saw it that he was the one giving hints to people like Christie golden on what to write about in her novels for warcraft, but now he's no longer in character, will anyone from blizzard tell Him what to write about, if he were to write warcraft books?
    I highly doubt he's going to write Warcraft books. I'm sure he wants to get into new worlds and characters, unassociated with Warcraft. He's already co-written two books in the Transformer's franchise.

Also, Golden was told specifially what to write - she had to hit specific plot points, directed by Metzen and his crew. The authors who write the WoW books probably don't have a lot of freedom as to character, lore, and such, and they're probably given access to internal "bible" material.

I think he probably wrote down the end game for WoW, and possibly Diablo and Starcraft. I suspect the Chronicles was a foreshadowing of him leaving - he established a TON of lore for them, that until now, they could just go down the hall and ask him about - now it's written down. It will be interesting to see how deep and far 2 goes, in that respect.

I'm sure Metzen will do some freelance for them from time to time - he said on Twitter he'll continue to play Thrall for them, but i don't think he'll return to any of their franchises in a big way, at least not for a couple years at least. Maybe Overwatch, because it's so new and fresh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

He's living the dream. He's got no boss now, he's finacially set, and he can do whatever he wants. Wake up, make some coffee, feed the kid, and go play video games for a couple hours.

All of us could only be so lucky.

He earned where he is right now, and it cracks me up to see all these kids getting angry at him, when the games they play literally would not exist in the form they are if it weren't for Chris Metzen.