Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    I don't think anyones arguing that, just like nobody is arguing minors shouldn't receive transplants because they aren't registered donors. The argument here is that anyone who is eligible to be a donor but isn't, could/should be excluded.

I don't actually think this is a good idea, and the opt out system is a nice compromise.
    But that's not what the person I quoted stated, now given I didn't read the whole thread so I may have missed some of Mihaliks points stating the contrary but that's still a pretty selfish outlook. "Can't or won't donate? Well screw you," is basically what I've got from the posts I have seen from him.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice. I wish Britain would adopt an opt out system. Especially since, when the NHS sent my renewed donor card the other day, they said that 81% (or something) of people are interested in becoming donors, but a much lower percentage of people actually are.

People are lazy, but, for the most part, good. So, just make them work for something they don't want to do, rather than something they would like to do.

Plus, if they don't want to do that, I think registered donors should move to the top of transplant priority lists. That would soon scare more non-donors into signing up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Great system, I love it. The majority of the people that isn't a donor just is too lazy to register, like me, and does not have moral obligations. If you want to be a @$%@$#@ and not want to be a donor then you'll have to put some effort in backing your morals. Best system there is.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    But that's not what the person I quoted stated, now given I didn't read the whole thread so I may have missed some of Mihaliks points stating the contrary but that's still a pretty selfish outlook. "Can't or won't donate? Well screw you," is basically what I've got from the posts I have seen from him.
    Tho that is exactly what I said. It is implicit that those who can't donate for whatever physical and health reasons aren't needed to do so. Expecting them to donate is an exercise in futility. I have no idea how you got to that conclusion.

On the other hand any person who can donate and chooses not to, should also not be eligible to receive one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unless person was sick or something that made the organs "unfit", u should be forced to become an donor, there are otherwise Z E R O reasons not to be an donor.

You DEAD, ur opinions means fuck all as that point, but ur organs means a lot to many.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

As long as an opt-out system is included, easy to do, I'm fine with this. I'd simply opt out.

And if I didn't have a choice in the matter, well, if I knew my end was coming, I'd wait as long as I could and end it in a fiery blaze. No one gets shit from my body unless I say so, so long as I have the power to do anything about it.

This system sounds a lot better.
    People that don't care much about it, or haven't thought about it, probably doesn't mind saving lives which costs them nothing at all. And now they don't have to go through the hassle of signing up for it.
    While those people that care more about it for religious reasons or other, would probably bother to opt out if they don't want to be a donor.

Quote Originally Posted by Actarius View Post
    But there will definitely be a social stigma to saying no now that you have to go out of your way to do so.
    Good. There damn well should be.

Deleted
    Nobooody gets to use my organs, noooobody. Hell it'd just lead to more cases where some corrupt doctor or official will make sure one more poor regular guy doesn't get all the treatment they need, to save some rich person.

Quote Originally Posted by Melra View Post
    Nobooody gets to use my organs, noooobody. Hell it'd just lead to more cases where some corrupt doctor or official will make sure one more poor regular guy doesn't get all the treatment they need, to save some rich person.
    With far more donors they wouldn't even have to. Should be plenty of supply for everyone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Unless person was sick or something that made the organs "unfit", u should be forced to become an donor, there are otherwise Z E R O reasons not to be an donor. You DEAD, ur opinions means fuck all as that point, but ur organs means a lot to many.
    Have you considered moving into one of the more authoritian countries, in which it's the norm that the government forces their will onto people in all aspects of life? You might be happier there if such things are what you are after.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Unless person was sick or something that made the organs "unfit", u should be forced to become an donor, there are otherwise Z E R O reasons not to be an donor.
    Your own organ is your own, but if you choose to fill out the form "I am not a organ donator" you should get a lower priority if you need a organ transplant later in life.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Your own organ is your own, but if you choose to fill out the form "I am not a organ donator" you should get a lower priority if you need a organ transplant later in life.
    Haven't thought about it before, but shouldn't it be like that now? Organ donors getting higher priority?

Stood in the Fire LegendaryDude's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What i'm still missing is an "Prioritize Family and Friends" option. Like, you'd make a list of people, and when you die, and you are an organ donor, and one of the people on that list is in need of an organ, they have absolute priority over everyone else, no matter how dire their circumstances may be.
    Last edited by LegendaryDude; 2016-09-16 at 08:48 AM.

I'm okay with it as long as I can keep my eyes. No way am I going to be a blind ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    How does that line of thinking work?
    Just because I feel uncomfortable donating my organs to others, doesn't mean that others would object to donating organs to me.
    Why not? I'm a registered donor. If I had the option to exclude (eligible) non-donors from my list of potential receivers, I would. I'm genuinely not sure why the option isn't available. I don't give a shit about them, they're not the ones I'm out to help.

You'll still be able to receive organs from friends and family. Nothing to stop that. The system would simply help make the impact of leeches minimal in this regard.

I genuinely think we should push for such a system.

Deleted
    What I dont like about being an organ donor is that certain organs have to be "harvested" right after the patient's death.

At first I dismissed this as crazy talk, but ive seen on tv (legitimate news program) last night that appearently it's true that they sometimes let family/loved ones say goodbye when someone is still alive because they have to be operated on as soon as they die. So basically this means that it's possible you cant sit by someones side in his/her final hours because that would render the organs unusable.

Yikes...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    And I also heard from a friend in the Netherlands who checked. It's a bit badly translated in the system. It's "No objections".
    So if you don't give a yes or a no. It's up to the family to give it. I (and the friend) assume that it'd default to a yes if there is no next of kin around to object.
    10th post in this thread, heavily ignored. Stay classy MMO-Champ.

So the article in the OP is wrong and that caused a lot of discussion, shocker.

http://nos.nl/artikel/2132443-elf-vr...-donorwet.html

Ben je automatisch donor als je niets doet? - Are you automatically a donor if you do nothing?
    "You aren't automatically a donor. You get a letter with information about this system.
    And then you get asked to register yourself. If you don't respond you receive another letter after 6 weeks.
    If you don't respond then you will be noted as "no objection". So that isn't automatic, you clearly get asked to make a decision yourself.
    And if it states "no objection" they will ask your relatives."

This is a rough translation. Can we now stop talking about this farce of an OP and a discussion fueled by people who have no clue what they are talking about?
    Take the effort to register yourself as a donor: it's clear what might happen when you die.
    Take the effort to say no: it's clear what happens when you die.
    Don't respond to the letters: your relatives have to make the call.

Quote Originally Posted by Pragnoran View Post
    This is a rough translation. Can we now stop talking about this farce of an OP and a discussion fueled by people who have no clue what they are talking about?
    Take the effort to register yourself as a donor: it's clear what might happen when you die.
    Take the effort to say no: it's clear what happens when you die.
    Don't respond to the letters: your relatives have to make the call.
    Thanks for the information.
    But even if the discussion started with the wrong information, doesn't mean we should stop discussing it.
    Even if this wasn't a "donor by default" case, there are still a lot of people here that would support that system and want to discuss that.

The actual case of asking relatives is still better than being marked as not being a donor after you die though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knslyr View Post
    Thanks for the information.
    But even if the discussion started with the wrong information, doesn't mean we should stop discussing it.
    Even if this wasn't a "donor by default" case, there are still a lot of people here that would support that system and want to discuss that.

The actual case of asking relatives is still better than being marked as not being a donor after you die though.
    Might have gotten too irritated after reading most of the thread.

I'm a big supporter of the donor by default system, because it wouldn't change much except for not putting the burden on relatives.

Been registered as a donor from the age of 12 (parents do have the final call until you are 16 here in the Netherlands). It takes no effort to register.

Another problem: the law got accepted by the "Tweede Kamer" and still needs to pass through the "Eerste Kamer" where it has a high posibility of getting shot down. So the "new and improved" system won't go into effect for the forseeable future. The original plans were donor by default but that would never get through the "Tweede Kamer" so it had to be changed to no objection. Which only passes with 75 for 74 against and 1 against politician stuck in traffic.
    Last edited by mmoc261824d975; 2016-09-16 at 10:01 AM.