Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So what exactly is Monk "chi"?

So we know what powers pretty much every class in the game.

Mage get's power from Twisting Nether, Shamans from the Elementals, Druids from nature, DKs from TLK, DH and Locks from Fel energy, Priests from Light/Void, Pallies from Light, etc.

But what powers the Monk's chi ability? Their mist weaving, their ability to teleport (Transcendence) or use it to travel longer distance, do damage (Jade Lighting, Chi Explosion, etc) and heal?

Is it a power found only on Pandaria?

I'm guessing it has to do with the 4 Pandaren aspects (the green dragon lady, the Ox, the Crane, and the Tiger). But where do those aspects get their power from?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Chi in the traditional sense, is energy of the body, which is opposed to Ki, which is energy of the spirit. Monks harness this energy to strengthen their bodies while performing their martial arts.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think it would be analogous to spirit energy or the energy of the Wild - the same force that Shaman and Druids utilize (albeit differently) to heal wounds or even offensively. The Monk discipline utilizes this power a bit more holistically or internally to bolster or influence the mind and body as opposed to directing it outward as an energetic force in its own right. I would differentiate Chi from "Mist," which seems to be its own kind of separate but related energy source - a kind of attenuated or altered spirit energy that takes on a definite form or energetic wavelength like Fire, Frost, Shadow, or Fel.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "Chi" is the Pandaren word for "Spirit," same energy that helps shaman heal, etc. (DaveKosak)

"Chi" is just the Pandaren term for the life force that Shaman manipulate. Same stuff. (DaveKosak)

Deleted
    Probably the cheapest power of them all.
    I consider Monks the weakest magical Class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    Probably the cheapest power of them all.
    I consider Monks the weakest magical Class.
    Keep talking and you'll soon find a keg (of the finest Pandaren brew) smashed in your face.

In terms of physical power, they are the strongest though. They don't need armor, shields or weapons like the other guys. They'll take you out with the palm of their hands.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

the celestials are wild gods, roughly on equivalent footing with the various druid-related sub-dieties (malorne/cenarious/ursoc/etc), the pre-empowerment dragon aspects and such as odyn/helya. When the sundering happen they decided to stay on pandaria for whatever reason. Monks don't draw power from them directly a la shamans with the elementals, but they seem to be involved in training/guiding monks in some way.

in practice asking 'what's chi' is kinda like asking 'what's mana'; the answer is that it's a fictitious concept that represents the characters' ability to perform superhuman feats, through extensive training and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "Chi" is the Pandaren word for "Spirit," same energy that helps shaman heal, etc. (DaveKosak)

"Chi" is just the Pandaren term for the life force that Shaman manipulate. Same stuff. (DaveKosak)
    I thought Shamans used healing waters (as per their cast animation and spell names) to heal. I guess they are spirit-infused healing waters..?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Keep talking and you'll soon find a keg (of the finest Pandaren brew) smashed in your face.

In terms of physical power, they are the strongest though. They don't need armor, shields or weapons like the other guys. They'll take you out with the palm of their hands.
    The Light gives you practically unlimited Stamina and made 20 year old shy boy Turalyon physically stronger than the beast of an Orc Doomhammer while he used the Light the first time in his entire life? Death Knights use unholy Strength? Demon Hunters have Strength equal to demons?

And don't using Armor, Shields or Weapons is just stupid. You now what happens if a Monk tried to punch my Paladins? My Paladin is cutting his Hand off without problems...or I'm simply parrying with the Edge of my Blade, letting him slice his hand in half himself. Then he can't even blame me, he did it to himself.
    Last edited by mmocfbbaf337eb; 2016-09-16 at 07:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    The Light gives you practically unlimited Stamina and made 20 year old shy boy Turalyon physically stronger than the beast of an Orc Doomhammer while he used the Light the first time in his entire life? Death Knights use unholy Strength? Demon Hunters have Strength equal to demons?

And don't using Armor, Shields or Weapons is just stupid. You now what happens if a Monk tried to punch my Paladins? My Paladin is cutting his Hand off without problems...or I'm simply parrying with the Edge of my Blade, letting him slice his hand in half himself. Then he can't even blame me, he did it to himself.
    ...Ummm, you're completely ignoring lore by assuming that. Power in lore is varied by character, not only by what class they are.

For instance, Chen can punch a hole through your paladin's armor and then Rising Sun Kick him up to Elune.

In terms of player class themselves, a BrM tanks anything a Prot Pally can tank except with no heavy armor, no shield, and no blade. A Paladin depends on his armor, a shield and the Light for power where as the BrM only needs a staff and a keg of beer to chug and chuck. He uses his own inner strength, to heal himself and stagger off the attacks. He is not reliant on any foreign entity to empower him where as BELF Pallies need a Naaru battery to feed them the Light and Human/Draenei Pallies feed of the Light directly. Cut them off from that, and they're just a weakened/gimped Warrior class.

Deleted
    Chi is part of the Cosmic Forces in the Warcraft Universe. It is called "Spirit". Shamans call it "The fifth element" and Monks call it "Chi" This force connects every living thing in the universe with one another. It has nothing to do with the four august celestials. Monks find this power by being at peace with themselves and gaining balance. The concept of a shaman using the fifth element to heal is completely different (philosophically speaking) from the Chi-usage of the Monks.

How strong Chi is? Depends on the user. I won't discuss anything of this sort with M-Ra, its always the same paladin circlejerk. Btw that Turalyon shit is just plain wrong. :>

Deleted
    I wonder, from the books / in game, what are the feats of Monk Punches / Kicks? Do they ever shatter stone in one strike?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kredox View Post
    I wonder, from the books / in game, what are the feats of Monk Punches / Kicks? Do they ever shatter stone in one strike?
    I know there is a quest in MoP that has you training with a hermit. You start off punching through sticks and then work your way up to stone or maybe steel. But that quest is open to all classes. Did it on my DK.

But Monks are the undisputed champs of inner strength and body=weapon martial arts. So basically they can kung-fu punch for about as much as a soldier can swing a club. Or they can hand parry a sword, etc.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2016-09-16 at 07:49 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    I know there is a quest in MoP that has you training with a hermit. You start off punching through sticks and then work your way up to stone or maybe steel. But that quest is open to all classes. Did it on my DK.
    It's a good start but you still have to strike 1 block of stone 5 times. I was wondering if it got any greater than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    In "Shadow of the Horde" Taran Zhu punches through a Mogu general's plate breastplate, the entirety of his torso, and deeply dents the back part of the armor.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    Chi is part of the Cosmic Forces in the Warcraft Universe. It is called "Spirit". Shamans call it "The fifth element" and Monks call it "Chi" This force connects every living thing in the universe with one another. It has nothing to do with the four august celestials. Monks find this power by being at peace with themselves and gaining balance. The concept of a shaman using the fifth element to heal is completely different (philosophically speaking) from the Chi-usage of the Monks.

How strong Chi is? Depends on the user. I won't discuss anything of this sort with M-Ra, its always the same paladin circlejerk. Btw that Turalyon shit is just plain wrong. :>
    Paladins aren't even that strong lorewise. Priests could whoop them. Paladins are basically middle of the road soldiers that rely on the Light as a buff to their defenses or to heal. A Priest has a much greater array of power from the Light plus they can also use Void.

same place Goku gets his powers from

Deleted
    They can use Chi to empower themselves. With this, they can perform feats that equal every other armed soldier, warrior or paladin. Not only do they break bones and stones with ease, Taran Zhu performed a strike with his hand, that pierced several inches thick Mogu plate armor like paper. He broke the Mogus legs with a single kick. Yes, he wore plated legplates as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    In "Shadow of the Horde" Taran Zhu punches through a Mogu general's plate breastplate, the entirety of his torso, and deeply dents the back part of the armor.
    Do you know if the Mogu was stone?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good start but you still have to strike 1 block of stone 5 times. I was wondering if it got any greater than that.
    The only real time we get to see a Monk in action is the opening cinematic for MoP where Chen (I think it's Chen, or maybe it's a Shadopan) schools a Horde and Alliance Warrior.