Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    It was sad the moment you just made it some partisan nonsense.
    Once again, never said nor meant that in relation to the topic but I guess you have to shit-post using whatever you can get or fabricate .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

What a great thread as always.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Immigrants may not fully adapt to new culture in their lifetime, news at eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    How come Syrian refugees in the US integrate so much easier?
    because we dont give a shit if they cant speak english apparently. leading to heaps of language barriers across the country.

How about giving Canadians the option for education and jobs instead of just shipping in more immigrants that don't want to assimilate?

Deleted
    "The first generation is always going to have challenges in integrating,'' Trudeau said
    No shit. Some more, some less.

While most immigrants adapt to the society pretty well, in Europe we have 2nd, 3rd and even 4th generation Muslim immigrants who are still having trouble with it, for which they can specifically thank their Islamic upbringing and the inevitable conflict it creates with the more civilized Western ideals of freedom, secularism and enlightenment. While some have managed to avoid this pitfall, too many have fallen into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoreyai View Post
    How about giving Canadians the option for education and jobs instead of just shipping in more immigrants that don't want to assimilate?
    In the "progressive" thinking you won't get tolerance points for embracing reasonable behavior. And apparently that's all that matters. Strangers über alles to prove how f*cking tolerant we are, damn racists!

They mayor of London banned advertisement of women in bikinis in London, but has been supporting Muslim women being covered.

Guess why?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    A lot of it has to do with 1. inclusiveness of the surrounding community relative to the amount of people from your community of origin around you, and 2. how prepared one is to move to a new culture and start doing things differently. It's much easier to start learning how to do things differently when everyone around you is already a member of culture 'x', and is more than willing to kind of include you when you're not up to speed. You're also much more likely to say 'fuck it' and do things the old way when they're hostile, and there's a lot of people from your home country all around you to hang around with. It's also a lot different moving to a new country because dad got a great new tenured position at university x from moving to a new country because somebody nerve gassed your old neighborhood.
    I can't say that there is a lot of hostility to minorities here. The segregation here is mainly specific groups that seemingly do not want to assimilate in any manner. They have been converging in those areas for decades by now and many of them have turned into crime ridden areas where gangs are more in control than the police. They have actively avoided moving into areas where the majority population in the country is present in any larger amounts when they've arrived.

They're screaming about how the politicians have to fix it. How can the politicians fix it if they don't want to change? They were the ones resisting the politicians attempts to fix it years ago and now they're telling them to fix it after rejecting their help in the past. Now it's going to be a lot harder to reverse the effects of it as it has been allowed to fester for a long time.

When about more than half of the kids doesn't even finish elementary school in some areas then there's something really rotten in what they see as important. If they want to get better lives then education is the way forward, education and not resisting the politicians measures to fix the problems by rioting and destroying their own communities property.
    Last edited by mmoc0e255f7194; 2016-09-17 at 09:49 AM.

"Being fearful of immigrants is "nothing new'' in Canada and around the world, he said, explaining that Italians and Greeks settling in Montreal in the 1950s faced similar kinds of discrimination as do Muslims and other immigrants today."

I love how world leaders can't understand that it's not the PEOPLE we fear, it's the RELIGION we fear.

Greeks and Italians did't follow a religion that inspired violence against women, martyrdom to prove a point, or the idea to resist any kind of man-made progress or secularism in this world.

Islam is just that.

If we want to really STOMP this problem we need to use the religion against people. So deep rooted are their beliefs, that even something as simple as "JOKING" about being atheist, is enough to get you killed in the religion. This leaves little room for disguise.

Therefore, if a member of this religion were forced to proclaim, verbally, that they are forsaking the religion, followed by some signed documentation of their words as proof, i would feel much safer about letting them into the country.

Religion has no place in this 21st century world of secularism and ideas. My tolerance for it is gone. Call me a bigot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    No shit. Some more, some less.

While most immigrants adapt to the society pretty well, in Europe we have 2nd, 3rd and even 4th generation Muslim immigrants who are still having trouble with it, for which they can specifically thank their Islamic upbringing and the inevitable conflict it creates with the more civilized Western ideals of freedom, secularism and enlightenment. While some have managed to avoid this pitfall, too many have fallen into it.
    I am not entirely convinced it is entirely about Islam, we had Turks and Turkish-Cypriots coming to the UK in the 1970s and they integrated just fine, yet they were Muslims.

I think a lot is down to pussyfooting around due to fears of being called racist and thus according them special status, which is a more recent phenomenon that didn't happen 40 years ago, that ends up with a section of people realising they are almost above the law and thus ignoring the law completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I am not entirely convinced it is entirely about Islam, we had Turks and Turkish-Cypriots coming to the UK in the 1970s and they integrated just fine, yet they were Muslims.

I think a lot is down to pussyfooting around due to fears of being called racist and thus according them special status, which is a more recent phenomenon that didn't happen 40 years ago, that ends up with a section of people realising they are almost above the law and thus ignoring the law completely.
    It's not a matter of political correctness, just one of credibility. For hundreds of years, Europeans went around telling everyone else what they had to be modern, civilized people, when of course all that was just a bullshit was just a flimsy excuse to snatch up land and steal resources. Even if it's true that this time around you have some actual good intentions, good luck getting anyone else to believe you.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    It's not a matter of political correctness, just one of credibility. For hundreds of years, Europeans went around telling everyone else what they had to be modern, civilized people, when of course all that was just a bullshit was just a flimsy excuse to snatch up land and steal resources. Even if it's true that this time around you have some actual good intentions, good luck getting anyone else to believe you.
    Any thoughts on whether Europeans going around telling everyone else that that they had to be modern, civilized people actually resulted in any of those places becoming more modern and civilized?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

2. The Prime Minister is so right. In the long term Canada benefits so much from immigrants. The more the merrier! Just ensure that they are spread out throughout the country.
    For once. you and I agree.

My issue with Immigration is just that. turning places into 'little-X' where X is where they came from. I come from a little town in Hampshire, home of the army. it was in the news as some celebrity was fighting for Gurkhas (Nepalese, a people who have earnt their crust in this country!!) and I have 0 let me say 0 issues with the Nepalese coming to the UK. what I DO however have an issue with is them zerging the town. 17% nepalese. the older ones do not speak ANY English. the kids often form groups and cause trouble. in my local council offices they have just given up asking them to speak English and now print signs in English and Nepalese.

I have 0 issues with the people. my issue is the assimilation and lack of it by having all in one area.
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Any thoughts on whether Europeans going around telling everyone else that that they had to be modern, civilized people actually resulted in any of those places becoming more modern and civilized?
    Well, what former colonies have the kind of people you would welcome into European society with open arms? If as I suspect the answer is no one, then you guys clearly fucked up in your little civilizing mission didn't you? Sure made a lot of money out of it though, so good on that I suppose.

Well, what former colonies have the kind of people you would welcome into European society with open arms? If as I suspect the answer is no one, then you guys clearly fucked up in your little civilizing mission didn't you? Sure made a lot of money out of it though, so good on that I suppose.
    There are quite a few former colonies that I'm happy to welcome the citizens of into my own nation (although I'm not European). Nigerian-Americans, for example, are a very successful group. Surely I have nothing against Filipinos. Really, the list of nation's people that I don't accept with open arms is pretty short.

In any case, this isn't exactly an answer to the yes or no question I asked. Would you say that colonialism led to the modernization and civilizing of any of the places that were colonized?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There are quite a few former colonies that I'm happy to welcome the citizens of into my own nation (although I'm not European). Nigerian-Americans, for example, are a very successful group. Surely I have nothing against Filipinos. Really, the list of nation's people that I don't accept with open arms is pretty short.

In any case, this isn't exactly an answer to the yes or no question I asked. Would you say that colonialism led to the modernization and civilizing of any of the places that were colonized?
    Well, obviously no. Sure they built some infrastructure in the colonies, but these were operated purely for the benefit of the colonists and few locals benefited much from it. And while there were plenty of schools set up, these mostly operated in a religious context that was more focused on teaching people dubious Christian morals and indoctrinating them to accept their subject status than providing useful knowledge. Whatever positives came out of centuries of colonialism could easily have been achieved in a few decades of productive contact, and without all the blowback and resentment we see today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, unlike Europeans those Muslim nations weren't going around snatching up land and resources.

...apart from the entire Middle East and North Africa, and from the Iberian Peninsular in the West to places as far East as modern India and beyond, going into sub-Saharan Africa in the South. And instituting moral codes there, you know, telling people to follow their way of life.

I live on an island taken by Muslims, to the point that the local language is actually based on Arabic. The land to the North and South of here was also under Muslim rule at some point, the entirity of the South still is. The previous Mediterranean island I lived on had also been under Muslim rule, all the countries surrounding that one were either under Islam at one point (Israel, Lebanon to a degree) or still are (all the others).

Muslims are in no position to criticise Europeans for land grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Immigrants may not fully adapt to new culture in their lifetime, news at eleven.
    It's a matter of actually trying or indeed desiring to do so in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoreyai View Post
    All Canadians benefit from immigration. Only racists are against it. There are so many studies to prove this. Educate yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    All Canadians benefit from immigration. Only racists are against it. There are so many studies to prove this. Educate yourself.
    Im assuming you are a kid that has no job because anybody that has to work and pay taxes would not say this
    There is the sad paradox of a world which is more and more sensitive about being politically correct, almost to the point of ridicule, yet does not wish to acknowledge or to respect believers’ faith in God