Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Healing is haaaaaard.

Long story short, I'm a paladin who tried healing a heroic for the first time today, I got Violet Hold and it didn't go well in the slightest.

All my gear was mythic quality, I had int trinkets equipped, I had healbot installed, I knew how to play the spec, I levelled my artifact to 13, I had decent relics in each slot and still I had to spam Flash of Light and blow all my cooldowns before the first boss just to keep the tank alive.

As a tank, I have no trouble carrying a bad healer, I assumed that the reverse would be true as well. Is it possible for a bad and/or undergeared tank to invalidate the efforts of a well geared and prepared healer or do I just suck?

Kthanks, plz be nice.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Could it be the tank just sucked balls? I've never had a problem on VH Mythic, let alone Heroic as a tank and I suck. If it was a DH I wouldn't be surprised.
    Last edited by willtron; 2016-09-20 at 12:55 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Trust me, when the group starts taking abnormal amounts of damage it's the tank and the dps not doing what they should.

Hey,

i tried healing few days ago, did a dungeon seemed ok, its actually pretty fun in Legion, i enjoy it much more than WOD.
    i agree with the post above saying maybe the tank was awful?

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Trust me, when the group starts taking abnormal amounts of damage it's the tank and the dps not doing what they should.
    I second this.

10+ Year Old Account
    everyone always blames the healer instead of blaming themselves.

chances are it's not your fault.
    Hi

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Mythic healing (except in rare instances of unavoidable AOE dmg) should feel almost exactly the same as heroic ASSUMING everyone knows mechanics and doesnt stand in stupid stuff. Mythic is just much more unforgiving when it comes to making a mistake (instead of losing 30% hp you lose 80%). Otherwise the only thing that may hinder you as a healer is a mechanic that you could ignore initially that you must now pay attention to.

There are two packs in Violet Hold that are decently hard to heal through if interrupts/cc are lacking.
    The ones with the spider, and another pack. They stack a dot that is hard to dispel because of your 8 second CD.
    Even on heroic, if the tank is not very good geared, they are hard to heal through.

As far as heroics go, I find that VH was one of those with highest damage. Especially if the group didn't bother with mechanics. If you try a few more you'll likely fin that your experience in VH wasn't representable.

healed mythics on offspec with my paladin, almost none traits. all went smooth. i think i was in strenght trinkets or something like. lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some tanks are bad as hell.
    VH is one of the hardest to heal if people are stupid. For example many trashpacks put down voidzones and some people like to stand in it.
    Also, Festerface can be pretty much impossible to heal if tactic isn't followed. Kill adds, make boss eat the goo, whatever.

Gotta get used to using CDs often in dungeons. 99 percent of healers who struggle do so for this reason. Wings is easily the best throughput cd for 5 targets so you should never struggle even undergeared.

Next step is getting used to doing good damage as Holy. Its very important for dungeons.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    Well, Violet Hold has some horrible Trashpacks and Bosses. Even with my 848 Holypally I have to let people die sometimes, especially if People ignore Bossstrats. And you should always use Beacon of Virtue in Dungeons, it helps with Groupheal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Healing is super weird now.

I feel like bosses are mostly yawn fest if everybody knows what to do and avoid stuff, if not, they punish mistakes way too hard and I honestly can't do much. On the other hand Trash packs are super annoying doing that much damage.

Adding to that a state of Healing in PvP, I honestly feel Healing is not rewarding this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Healing is super weird now.

I feel like bosses are mostly yawn fest if everybody knows what to do and avoid stuff, if not, they punish mistakes way too hard and I honestly can't do much. On the other hand Trash packs are super annoying doing that much damage.
    I think a lot of that is simply that we've been trained the last ten years to not care about trash. Now most people learn boss abilities (..eventually), but few bother to look up trash thinking it will be a walkover anyway.

I've gotten the feeling from this launch as a healer that either you have a good group and everything goes great, or you have to work your ass off to keep idiotic DPS alive because they just refuse to not stand in shit or follow basic mechanics. It feels worse than ever... people are so worried about what's going on with the meters that they'll just stand in shit so they don't have downtime. It doesn't help that it seems like most mechanics in mythics are just a big FUCK YOU to healers. There's so much shit that's reliant on DPS not being idiots that can either one shot them, damage the entire group or just cause difficulties in general for the healers.
    Last edited by Ifeanychukwu; 2016-09-20 at 01:14 PM.

Well pally are back to BC mod were heavy AoE dmg screw you. If the shift hit the fan (usualy DPS-tank error) its hard to recover as a Hpally if the whole group take unespected amounth of damage.

But if only the tank take heavy dmg your pretty much the best class to save his life.

Various 5man will punish the whole group if 1 dude sit in the wrong spot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vlobben View Post
    I think a lot of that is simply that we've been trained the last ten years to not care about trash. Now most people learn boss abilities (..eventually), but few bother to look up trash thinking it will be a walkover anyway.
    Violet Hold is one of the hardest hitting trash mob dungeon in the game if your group does not interrupt and stun properly or if the tank does not use mitigation and cooldowns properly.

Personally I have zero problem carrying a group on as a Healer on my Monk or even Priest.

I think the main problem is that people are unwilling to use 2 or 3 minute cooldowns on trash packs thinking they are reserved for boss fights only. Else I can't explain how low random dps players are on the damage meter while I do 300k dps on average in a heroic run on my WW monk.
    The best example are Shamans and Mages. By my experience 90% of shamans and mages do not use Bloodlust on cooldown instead they keep it for the dungeon end boss..
    Last edited by mmocefe5057e27; 2016-09-20 at 01:18 PM.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    No, a good healer cannot carry a bad group. If the group isn't interrupting, staying our of stuff, and properly DPSing, then it will simply fail, eventually.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

For me so far, half the DH tanks I heal get destroyed, even with decent gear. Not sure if it's the class or just people new to tanking and not using defensive abilities.

Also, people don't like to interrupt/stun/CC. As a healer, I always have the most interrupts with aoe stun always on cooldown.