Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Post Healing has not felt this unrewarding in a while for me.

Hey,

As a foreword: This is not a complaint on difficulty of content. Clearing mythics is not an issue. I dislike the way healing feels right now.

I wonder if anyone else here finds healing quite unrewarding currently.

To elaborate:

The main fault I find is the designed inability to save people from large damage spikes outside of Major use of CDs.
    Health pools greatly out scale heal amounts and tanks are now mostly responsible for their own safety.

Since the healer is in great difficulty to compensate for other player's mistakes at large health loss spikes, the only job left is to slowly pad health bars, small bit by small bit.

This does not leave me feeling like I am saving people as such but rather stiching them up a bit.

Boss fights are often very two- dimensional :

Either people do mechanics well and it is quite boring to heal, since there will be little damage at all.

or

Mechanics are not followed and party-members take such large amounts that the menial heals often wont be able to compensate in time and they die regardless.

This is all from Mythic dungeons in 840 gear Resto shaman.

I am still hoping that this paradigm might shift with scaling. So far it has not been a satisfying experience I find.

At least they made questing and solo farming significantly harder for healers too. Only in Blizzards mind do you fix a shortage of healers by making it harder for them to do anything or force them to dps. For the same reason we don't have fighys that force dps to heal we should avoid forcing healers to dps.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    I find this really disheartening. The healer is always what I reach for and enjoy and so far, it just hasn't felt the same way this expansion.

The impact you have as a healer just seems so minimal, more relegated to playing the after- battle nurse than a powerful force of Life.

yeah i have a shaman alt , gone 110 last friday, did all mythics and now at ilvl 838, u cannot really heal stupid anymore. either its a breeze and i find myself dpsing or its a shitfest and i find myself in desparation mode, which greatly depends on the tanks use of his tank abilities and dps use of interrupt.

I dunno. I find healing on my Holy Paladin rather interesting, mainly because I can BoP a dps if he's taking damage from flurry or other physical damage. That and Holy Light/Flash of Light + Holy Shock heals for quite a lot, even on the tank.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    either its a breeze and i find myself dpsing or its a shitfest and i find myself in desparation mode, which greatly depends on the tanks use of his tank abilities and dps use of interrupt.
    Exactly!

There is no middle ground anymore. Either you scramble all your means to somehow bring people up again with your weak tools or you are likely bored to hell and spam your little damage ability.

It is a completely failed design for people who enjoy playing healers.

Deleted
    i agree with this, it seems healers are only one who really play in dungeons, others just are walking there and look bored, chainpulling and not feeling any danger or necessity to interrupt/stun. and if there is a good group, feels like healer is not needed at all, tank can take care itself and dps only take damage when they stand in shit and forget to interrupt. it's like between carrying the rest of the group or feeling useless. i really enjoyed to heal dungeons in wod and before but now i feel like "why i do this".

I agree completely, I have played all the healing classes except one and it's just not FUN to heal anymore. I used to enjoy it.

People are completely in rush mode and it's pack after pack after pack of trash and sometimes the trash kills them more than the boss.

I constantly feel myself deciding between letting the tank or the DPS survive, and we all know how that goes.

So, I heal up the tank 2 DPS die, we die eventually because tank DPS has now been nerfed even more. Sigh

Great way to limit the healers even more, well done Blizzard.

I have stopped leveling any healing artifact weapon except my disc priest who can do both which is nice.

My group finding times are now awful, makes me not even want to run any dungeons.

I've been raid/progression healing since BC. Took a break during WaD and came back for Legion. I would have to totally agree with the OPs post 100% given the content that is currently available to us. Hopefully raids will make us feel a little more important/needed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    At least they made questing and solo farming significantly harder for healers too. Only in Blizzards mind do you fix a shortage of healers by making it harder for them to do anything or force them to dps. For the same reason we don't have fighys that force dps to heal we should avoid forcing healers to dps.
    I think this is a very important point. Endgame versatility is really low for healers. I think that tank vs healer supply has shifted in the past 2 expansions, with healers being even rarer. It seems that raid guilds have plenty of tank options but healers are in short supply.

I was in a dungeon on my holy pal the other day where people failed at mechanics so hard that I spent every boss fight furiously spamming flash of light, artifact, light of dawn as fast as I could.

It wasn't fun. It was stupid because no matter how fast I spammed heals on the tank his hp was slowly going down.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post

It wasn't fun. It was stupid because no matter how fast I spammed heals on the tank his hp was slowly going down.
    Reminds me of My Halls of Valor run yesterday. 90% of the time I was spamming surge on the DK Tank, half the time his HP would go down faster anyways since I hardly budge his HP without crits/ undulation.

Meanwhile the DPS die.

Not being able to compensate much isn't fun.

Sure you could have a great group run, in which case you won't be healing much. Ironically you'll DPS instead.

It's upside- down. I want to be more than an added health pack for the tank you know
    Last edited by mmoc3776e14ebc; 2016-09-20 at 04:24 PM.

Current dungeon design combined with speed oriented play style has shifted virtually all of the stress of a dungeon run onto the healer.

In the early days of WoW the emphasis was on control. I remember talking before each and every pull. Waiting for the healer to drink, marking the mobs for crowd control, discussing the plan. But now it's all about maximizing pulls and kill speed and zooming as fast as conceivably possible from boss to boss.

This can be great mindless fun for tank and dps. Zoom, zoom, kill, kill while dodging a few mechanics. But the only limiter on how much they can zoom and kill is the ability of the healer to keep up and heal through it. This isn't much fun for the healer, always feeling stressed and rushed.

The way things are going I expect the healer shortage to get much worse before it gets better. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if, in the next expac, Blizzard starts to move away from the classic trinity and enables some form of healer-less dungeon runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Binko View Post
    Current dungeon design combined with speed oriented play style has shifted virtually all of the stress of a dungeon run onto the healer.

In the early days of WoW the emphasis was on control. I remember talking before each and every pull. Waiting for the healer to drink, marking the mobs for crowd control, discussing the plan. But now it's all about maximizing pulls and kill speed and zooming as fast as conceivably possible from boss to boss.

This can be great mindless fun for tank and dps. Zoom, zoom, kill, kill while dodging a few mechanics. But the only limiter on how much they can zoom and kill is the ability of the healer to keep up and heal through it. This isn't much fun for the healer, always feeling stressed and rushed.

The way things are going I expect the healer shortage to get much worse before it gets better. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if, in the next expac, Blizzard starts to move away from the classic trinity and enables some form of healer-less dungeon runs.
    I really hope they don't do that. The GW2 system is the most boring ****ed-up piece of crap PvE I've played...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with what you say, however I find this mostly relevant as Resto Shaman... As Druid or Paladin I dont feel so stressed if tanks&dps are poor at their movement & cooldown usage.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I was in a dungeon on my holy pal the other day where people failed at mechanics so hard that I spent every boss fight furiously spamming flash of light, artifact, light of dawn as fast as I could.

Yeah this happens often with pugging. I was in a mythic group in Eye of Aszshara and holy shit we had 2 dps that kept failing at mechanics. It was awful. They didn't move away from tornadoes, they didn't move away from waves, they didn't move from lightning and every now and then they'd fall into the boss. It was probably my least enjoyable run yet.

But that changes when I run with my guild so it's all good. It's definitely annoying when I'm pugging and people don't follow mechanics though.

Good thing is I've been in more groups that follow mechanics and pull good numbers, so I'm not too mad, but I have had a few groups that made me question everything.

As a holy paladin though I find things more relaxing. It's been my main forever so maybe it's just that I'm really used to it but in situations where everyone is taking loads of damage and even more avoidable damage I can still keep the group going.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deveilblad View Post
    I really hope they don't do that. The GW2 system is the most boring ****ed-up piece of crap PvE I've played...
    Agreed. I like most things about GW2 but I'm mainly a PvE'r and the system GW2 has is just bad. I much prefer the classic trinity of dps-heals-tanks we have now.

i find healing really fun,

Quote Originally Posted by Meanshield View Post
    I agree with what you say, however I find this mostly relevant as Resto Shaman... As Druid or Paladin I dont feel so stressed if tanks&dps are poor at their movement & cooldown usage.
    I hope not... or maybe I hope so, so that I can give druid or pally healing a try. I've heard complaints from all of them so far though, with the exception of monk maybe.

Deleted
    I much preferred healing in vanilla... it was much more about efficiency and reacting to damage than pumping hps...

Deleted
    Healing has been mismanaged since the beginning of Cata. Used to love it. Since then it doesn't satisfy at all.