Poll: How do you feel about Rune of Power?

Thread: Rune of Power

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I've gotten used to RoP by now and it really is a great damage boost, but I still hate it and wish it didn't exist.
    First, it's a mandatory talent for optimal damage output, which I believe goes against Blizzard's philosophy where the current talent trees should be about choice.
    Second, while it's not as clunky to use as before, it still supports an annoying play style that should be history by now, which is standing still while casting.

And I have to give up MI for it, which is another minus.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Compared to what it used to be the new RoP is the greatest thing ever.

It's garbage.

What's worse is Mirror image which is a threat dumping/survival utility now competes with DPS talents. Very poorly designed talent row.

Before your fat fingers begin to flurry here is an alternative:Mirror Image returns as a baseline ability but has it's damage nerfed. Incanter's flow becomes a talent you build up charges to and activate to get a 20% damage bonus with a short cooldown, like a weaker version of voidform. Rune of Power instead becomes a random proc that activates an aura that also boosts nearby allies magic/ranged damage although the amount wouldn't be as high as it is for you. Replace the MI slot with literally anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Le rarest Pepe View Post
    The current iteration of rop certainly is the best so far of this stupid talent. It's not even the movement that irritates me - it's the whole design around huge burst Windows for both fire and arcane.

Outside of rop+combustion, damage just feels so awkwardly low. The burst phase makes up so much of dps, I've had situations were I died after bursting and still was first on the meters after the boss went down. The difference between burst and sustained damage is MASSIVE. And while that's good, great even, for many raid situations, it's irritating in small group content or solo. This is one of those situations where something is objectively really good, but feels weird. Ymmv.
    I'm with you on this, having dps revolve around "burst windows" is inherently clunky to me. We've always had things like heroism and later icy veins and trinkets that aligned well with all the rest, but to build into the core rotation burst phases is beyond annoying to me. I'd rather have more consistent damage instead of the feast or famine modes EVERY damn boss encounter becomes. I want constant feasts, you know, like melee have now.

The main issue with rune is it has no competition. IF is never going compete because it's passive, so any time you can manage to use rune effectively it will be much better. Mirror is never going to compete because rune being shorter but a higher damage boost concentrates its effectiveness during your cooldowns and burst phases.

IF is at least sustained damage. Mirror is "burst", but doesnt even do that very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    If I can use ROP on a fight like Ursoc, you guys can figure out how to use it on the same fights and others with less movement requirements. It takes skill to use properly, I'm still making mistakes here and there, but don't sit and complain about the one spell that we have that requires any sort of brain cells. If you want to be a subpar player, use other talents. If you want to be close to the top of the meters and actually benefit your raid, then learn to play the class

This needs to be addressed because it often gets thrown out that because X ability requires skill to use effectively that makes it inherently worthy of inclusion...

It takes skill to learn and use machine code that does NOT make learning every coding language an enjoyable experience and satisfying. It takes skill to juggle knives in the air while walking but I'd prefer to NOT have to engage in that activity while walking.

Guys, stop being masochists, I don't actually HATE myself so I want my dps experience to be pleasant. One of my favorite dps moments was arcane during black temple days. High damage, and a very satisfying and more consistent firing of arcane missiles where I could hear them fire from my hands ba-ba-ba-ba ----- traveling ----- TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT

now imagine that sound going so fast it was like a machine gun because procs of arcane missiles actually reduced the cast time for the same volley by something like half. THAT was satisfying.

I HATE the way arcane feels now. HATE !!!!!!!!!!

Same goes for rune of power usage.

I feel there needs to be some distinction between RoP on its own, and RoP as a talent in competition with two other talents. Or rather, in non-competition with two other talents because it wins by a mile in every raid/dungeon scenario (discounting weird things like soloing specific mobs like Ley Stalker Dro or whatever).

RoP as an ability is great. It's a medium to short length cooldown, it has stacks, it requires planning and strategy in its execution. The burst synergizes well with other parts of the class, and it performs great on the meters. All in all, very nicely designed.

RoP in its talent row is one of (sadly) many examples where talent competition is dead on arrival. This is by no means exclusive to me. Many other classes have similar no-brainer talent rows, or worse (just look at Shadow Priest 100). It seems that balance across rows follows different criteria than before. Rather than "pick X for situation Y, pick A for situation B" (as it was, for the most part, in MoP/WoD) the paradigm now seems to very often be "pick X if you want to do competitive damage at the cost of more effort, pick Y if you want to just have an easier time at the cost of lower dps". I suppose there is some merit to that model, considering ambitious players will try and find that one mathematically superior option anyway, while casuals often feel left in the dust and unable to use cool abilities. Now those people can just spawn their Mirror Images all day long, and have fun with it despite the lower damage. It seems to me that solution is meant as a fix for the inherent nightmare that is balancing in a world of staggeringly complex interactions. Making several talents in a row balanced in a way that is truly close enough in performance to placate the theorists is a nightmarishly difficult feat, and has only rarely been achieved consistently in the past. I think Blizzard just gave up and focused on other things instead, which to be fair is quite understandable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    It doesn't even need skill to be used properly. Just knowledge of the fight beforehand so you know when and when not to use it. It's understandable right now that it feels shit because people aren't used to the raids yet but in a few weeks it'll just be muscle memory and you won't even have to think.
    Here is the issue, in wrath i had some enjoyment out of maximising my dps with evocation. But back than you spend much more time wiping on a boss which allowed you to refine it each time.
    Now a days it's learn how to counter each mechanic, than optimize Ro......oh it's down. Than you also add other content where you kill any mob iwthin 3 attempts and your not getting the time to optimise the timing.

Each spec can have it's obstacles but you can make a good argument if one much further.
    What i think the difficulty of RoP obstacle is, it's not reactionary but preamptive gameplay to improve it.

Personally I now have a certain love and hatred for it. But that's mainly because it's so OP and combined well with fire CD's. If they'd nerf it below 40% i'd hate the talent. A big issue right now regardless if you like it or now is that the 3 is unbalanced. They need to buff the other 2, maybe make mirror images more utility than dps, why are those images so fragile?

Quote Originally Posted by taelon View Post
    Here is the issue, in wrath i had some enjoyment out of maximising my dps with evocation. But back than you spend much more time wiping on a boss which allowed you to refine it each time.
    Now a days it's learn how to counter each mechanic, than optimize Ro......oh it's down. Than you also add other content where you kill any mob iwthin 3 attempts and your not getting the time to optimise the timing.

Each spec can have it's obstacles but you can make a good argument if one much further.
    What i think the difficulty of RoP obstacle is, it's not reactionary but preamptive gameplay to improve it.

Personally I now have a certain love and hatred for it. But that's mainly because it's so OP and combined well with fire CD's. If they'd nerf it below 40% i'd hate the talent. A big issue right now regardless if you like it or now is that the 3 is unbalanced. They need to buff the other 2, maybe make mirror images more utility than dps, why are those images so fragile?

It's not even OP though, if it was, we would not be so far behind so many melee. So still beneath the gutter muggle classes, and clunky feel?

No thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hated it back when it was first introduced and then avoided it like the plague. I tried it for the first time in forever tonight and...I like it! The area you can move in is generous and it doesn't have a targetting area thing like Meteor. I think it used to have one anyways...but I like RoP now, though, I agree with others that it needs more competition in that tier. Don't take it away or change it just bring the other two talents up to speed a bit.

Pretty much what has been said already. I like RoP as an ability, but dislike the row of talents in which it is packaged in.

Quote Originally Posted by taelon View Post
    why are those images so fragile?
    Because they are just that, images.

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
    I hated it back when it was first introduced and then avoided it like the plague. I tried it for the first time in forever tonight and...I like it! The area you can move in is generous and it doesn't have a targetting area thing like Meteor. I think it used to have one anyways...but I like RoP now, though, I agree with others that it needs more competition in that tier. Don't take it away or change it just bring the other two talents up to speed a bit.
    Indeed it's quite big they need to update the visual. Their are a lot of ground fire that cover your RoP and all you have to do is move just beside it and still have it's effect. The downside is, holding back on my blink meaning less healing and slight dps loss if i cant do it move while casting :"P

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry but, the answer to this as usual is git gud in short

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the fact that RoP has a cast time, is on the GCD, and can't be cast while moving by default. It roots you to the spot for way too long and requires a shit-ton of "setup" to make the most of it. No other class has an ability with such silly mechanics.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

It's just really boring to me. Mirror Image is way cooler but its the worst pick.

The original RoP drove me from this class to lock (which I still main).

If they would've started with this version I'd probably still be a mage. Still has it's downsides, but they're just that. Downsides. It's a very powerful cd now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I hate the fact that RoP has a cast time, is on the GCD, and can't be cast while moving by default. It roots you to the spot for way too long and requires a shit-ton of "setup" to make the most of it. No other class has an ability with such silly mechanics.
    Yeah, this pretty much. If it just acted like other cooldowns (MoP/WoD Dark Soul for example), then I might like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanariya View Post
    Yeah, this pretty much. If it just acted like other cooldowns (MoP/WoD Dark Soul for example), then I might like it.
    That just sounds like you'd prefer MI to be more viable tbh. Which is fair.

Deleted
    Current version of RoP is perfect, but i can see why some people don't like it, because you has to plan it and that needs some knowledge of class and encounters. Just use IF if you can't handle RoP and stop crying about it.