Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Depend on the buyer. If the buyer is a developer, which is very likely from your description, he is buying the property for the large lot. He is probably planning to demo everything, and put a high density residential complex or apartments. Short of having the site declared a hazardous material contaminated site, nothing will dissuade a buyer like that. Even then it still may not faze the buyer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    I have a friend of a friend who needs some suggestions. His landlord wants to sell the house that he currently rents in. The problem is my friend has bought some very nice equipment for his business and if he has to move his equipment it would cost around $70,000. My friend doesn't want to move, but he doesn't know what to do in order to delay the sale of the house. The interested buyers might be coming by in a few days to have a look at the place, and my friend was wondering if anyone has any advice on what has turned you off from buying a house?

Just for some background info he lives in BC, Canada

So does anyone have any thoughts on what stopped them from buying a house? or any things that might have happened that would cause them to change their mind?
    Your friend is fucked. I also live in BC and the housing market here is insanely bloated and you'd have to be looney to actually buy a house as a normal person here. It's what prevents me from buying anything, I don't have a million to drop on an even basic property here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    Your friend is fucked. I also live in BC and the housing market here is insanely bloated and you'd have to be looney to actually buy a house as a normal person here. It's what prevents me from buying anything, I don't have a million to drop on an even basic property here.
    Nobody is going to spend 1.2 M to live in a crappy rental house. If the house is historical it will get remodeled completely. Otherwise, like I said before, the buyer wants the parcel for something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    So he's running a grow house, but he's 'medically licensed'. That means it's not legal, so the cops don't know, the landlord doesn't know, and that's why he doesn't move. Basically he's a trafficker, it sounds like.

Honestly, he shouldn't need to worry about the costs, or the rental, since he'll probably be in jail soon anyway. SOmeone will find out.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

it's a house not an apartment. the house has a massive building behind that holds all the greenery equipment and there are air conditioners outside the building plus theres a ton of lights and plants and storage supplies food and the wiring alone is like 20k for like 6 rooms and security cameras.
    How does his landlord not know about this? If it's an indoor grow operation, he can recoup most of that cost, sans maybe 20k in wiring maybe. Security cameras and external wiring can be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    So he's running a grow house, but he's 'medically licensed'. That means it's not legal, so the cops don't know, the landlord doesn't know, and that's why he doesn't move. Basically he's a trafficker, it sounds like.

Honestly, he shouldn't need to worry about the costs, or the rental, since he'll probably be in jail soon anyway. SOmeone will find out.
    "A friend of a friend" you know what that means...OP.

Big issue is that they cost a great deal of money.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    How does his landlord not know about this? If it's an indoor grow operation, he can recoup most of that cost, sans maybe 20k in wiring maybe. Security cameras and external wiring can be removed.
    Considering grow ops must disclosed when you sell a house, and he's looking for ways to impede the sale (which implies it's not a teardown), I'm going with no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Considering grow ops must disclosed when you sell a house, and he's looking for ways to impede the sale (which implies it's not a teardown), I'm going with no.
    Well generally speaking things like grow lights, air conditioning, security cameras can be easily removed. The rest...idk. I can't believe someone would try to run an illegal growing operation on rental property, that seems exceptionally ballsy to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    The rest...idk. I can't believe someone would try to run an illegal growing operation on rental property, that seems exceptionally ballsy to me.
    Ballsy and/or stupid, considering that landlords usually have the right to inspect their property if they want - on short notice.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, your friend has a grow-op on RENTED property?

People like him give responsible cannabis users a bad name. I hope he gets fucking caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    So, your friend has a grow-op on RENTED property?

People like him give responsible cannabis users a bad name. I hope he gets fucking caught.
    About 0 chance he won't, if potential buyers are coming to inspect the whole place shortly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

i'm asking if theres anything that might dissuade a buyer from purchasing a home. i'm not asking for ways to sabatoge the sale just things that might dissuade you.
    Explain the difference to me, apparently I'm really stupid. For what reason aside from sabotaging the sale would your friend want to know what makes a home undesirable to sell?

EDIT: Your friend is growing weed without the consent of his landlord lol. Your friend is an idiot.
    Last edited by Biged781; 2016-09-26 at 01:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that I don't need one.

And it's not really much of an investment anymore. i'm happier renting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this operation is as big as you make it out to be, why doesn't he just buy the house himself. If it would cost $70,000 just to move the equipment, better to put it towards the house than to completely lose it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this isn't really relevant to where your acquaintance lives, but the sole thing that's put me off buying a house is basically because I'm on a single income in Australia. We never had our bubble burst. Sydney and Melbourne still have homes selling on-average for 15 times the average annual wage, up from about 5 times the annual wage a decade ago.

I guess that yes, I might be able to afford some weatherboard craphole in Nowherestown Shitsville and deal with white trash and long commutes, but I much prefer living and working in the CBD of a capital city
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    If this operation is as big as you make it out to be, why doesn't he just buy the house himself. If it would cost $70,000 just to move the equipment, better to put it towards the house than to completely lose it.
    stoners aren't exactly known for their intelligence.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    Explain the difference to me, apparently I'm really stupid. For what reason aside from sabotaging the sale would your friend want to know what makes a home undesirable to sell?

EDIT: Your friend is growing weed without the consent of his landlord lol. Your friend is an idiot.
    the landlord isnt even around aside from once a year or so, hes pretty much mia.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Ballsy and/or stupid, considering that landlords usually have the right to inspect their property if they want - on short notice.
    no they do not, at least not in BC. his landlord doesn't even have a key to the place considering he might come by once a year at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

hes been approved by the government. as in he has a medical license to grow weed for cancer patients in BC. its called being a supplier or something.
    the landlord doesnt know because the landlord doesnt have keys, the landlord doesnt come by the property except maybe once every year at the most and my friend just lets him inside. basically the main house is plant free, the building behind is a grow house. it has security cams a pass code door and everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    he doesnt have 1.2m lying around to buy the house, or 120k for a down deposit.

if i had money i would buy a house

i need to complete a education and then a good paying job first

the landlord isnt even around aside from once a year or so, hes pretty much mia.
    So? What does that have to do with anything? How does that address my question? What conversation are you having?

Did the landlord meet his legal requirements? If not, sue him, otherwise, grow up.