Poll: Would a app help in voting times?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you think a voting app would be useful?

So, ever voting period ppl take, or gloss about one issue in voting, not a lot of ppl can vote because work/school and as well the time limit to vote when in a large line so some just avoid voting in general. But what if there was a easier way to vote? And so what if voting was as easy as pulling out your phone out at certain points and picking those u want to elect, then u go about ur day.

I think this would work, and before speaking about voter fraud, there has constantly be beliefs that's is always a thing, there's already talks of that for this current campaign. I believe however that these methods would kind of help.

First get the app, duh.
    Second, once u put in ur info that shows u are a legal citizen , the whole mambo jumbo.
    You then go to your third and final step, go to your county,province,whatever where u register and have an official physically validate u are a human being and who u say u are, they'll then fully activate ur account and u can vote for everything from the smallest level of city council to president of the United States, of course at the designated times that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be nice! We live in the age of the Internet, so it doesn't make sense to still use a stone age voting system with throwing paper into an urn.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of problems. In order to ensure you are a legal citizen, you would have to give strong identification because you're not there in person. The left doesn't like voter ID laws. Also, it would make it easier for young people to vote. The right doesn't like too many young people voting.

10+ Year Old Account
    The average human isn't intelligent enough to make something as important as this viable. Especially since bad people coukd spoof a fake app and people would believe it

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it would be useful. Only if they could guarantee it couldn't be hacked.

Otherwise we'd actually have all that voter fraud we keep hearing about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Would be nice! We live in the age of the Internet, so it doesn't make sense to still use a stone age voting system with throwing paper into an urn.
    Except the whole thing where you can actually count the papers and observe them being counted, something that is not possible for electronic voting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Otherwise we'd actually have all that voter fraud we keep hearing about.
    You wouldn't have voter fraud, you'd get electoral fraud.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

It's a fantastically, fantastically stupid idea. If by all means you want results as reliable as a poll on salon, have at it.

Maybe if they give everyone a physical thing that held their identity, you'd plug this "usb stick thing" in, log onto the voting web site and log in with a username and password. Maybe it would scan your thumbprint too. Basically it would be three factor authentication.

That and there would be some kind of transparency so that everyone could look over the voting roles and the way people voted while still keeping voter privacy.

I think it could be done.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

They can already rig elections in person in the US so I don't even want to think about what they could do with an app.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too bad everyone's overlooking the fact that on the presidential level the people's choice doesn't matter, and yeah, I'm being "that guy".
    Even still, the "paper" ballot has been rigged before, didn't that happen with Obama vs. Romney in Florida and few other states? Where they had to redo all the voting because the system was tampered with?

In closing, who we (the lesser working class) want isn't really our choice and whomever becomes PotUS will get flak either way.
    I. LIKE. TO. KILL. THINGS.-Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Mayor of a Little Village up the Coast, Mistress of Magma and Lord of the Dance.

In Oregon you get your ballot auto-mailed to you, you can mail it back or drop it off in dozens of locations....public libraries, ballot offices, etc. Best system I've seen, states that make you stand in line on election day need a better option for voters.

10+ Year Old Account
    So , once again I think you ppl didn't read everything I said.

I said to fully have it up and running for u, u have to physically show that you who you say you are. Something that can't be faked unless u are a twin.

As for hacking, there is always a threat of hacking votes in elections .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspire View Post
    So , once again I think you ppl didn't read everything I said.

I said to fully have it up and running for u, u have to physically show that you who you say you are. Something that can't be faked unless u are a twin.

the only way that would work would be a dna test every time, and that isnt exactly possible right now or even in the near future. So...again no

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    It's a fantastically, fantastically stupid idea. If by all means you want results as reliable as a poll on salon, have at it.
    It amuses me that people all think voting systems are as frail and easy to cheat like voting in American Idol or some other shit voting.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd prefer if voting for federal offices was taken over by a new federal agency and standardized. Same with IDs and the establishment of a standardized national ID.

You turn 18, you go to get your ID, prove your identity, etc... You are automatically registered to vote during that process. During presidential and mid term elections you are mailed a federal ballot. The end.

Of course such a system isn't possible until the Republican Party ceases to exist, fortunately it seems as though that won't be much longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    It amuses me that people all think voting systems are as frail and easy to cheat like voting in American Idol or some other shit voting.
    relying on humans not to be stupid is a very very bad idea, which is what you do when you go to apps. You're relying on people not getting scammed, downloading malicious apps, not clicking on bad links, ect...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspire View Post
    Please explain how you're going to hack paper ballots that everyone can watch being put in the box and then counted.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I'd prefer if voting for federal offices was taken over by a new federal agency and standardized. Same with IDs and the establishment of a standardized national ID.

You turn 18, you go to get your ID, prove your identity, etc... You are automatically registered to vote during that process. During presidential and mid term elections you are mailed a federal ballot. The end.

Of course such a system isn't possible until the Republican Party ceases to exist, fortunately it seems as though that won't be much longer.
    We can only hope...

I can't emphasize enough how nice it is to be mailed a ballot for every election. It is 10000000000000x better than having to stand in line somewhere. I might have left off a couple of 0s but you get my point...also much more inclusive, think about the amount of people who have a hard time showing up on a particular day to vote for whatever reason.

Oregon also mails out a detailed list of issues on the ballot before the election, along with snapshots of candidates' stances on various issues (in their own words I believe).

10+ Year Old Account
    seems like a bad idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    In Oregon you get your ballot auto-mailed to you, you can mail it back or drop it off in dozens of locations....public libraries, ballot offices, etc. Best system I've seen, states that make you stand in line on election day need a better option for voters.
    you saying our lines suck?! cause our counties voting lines are the best in the nation!
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I like to throw paper into an urn.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.