Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Again, whats your birthplace?
    Italy.
    There's no country on earth that has affected the world in such a scale, in recent times as the US. There's a reason why people criticise your foreign policies. Its because theyre shit and have been shit for the last 75 years roughly.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    ughghgh sounds like too much effort, screw justice, takes too long!
    Glad there are some people in this thread that are smart. Who in their right mind would allow the gates to open to allow the US to be sued?

It is a stupid law. If anything they should sue the us government for being allies with such barbaric people as the house of saud. Or just tell the truth about 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Obama sides with Islam against America.

If I could post memes here I'd be showing up the surprised kitten right now.
    No, Obama is thinking of the people of the US. He is trying to keep us from being sued by the families of the drone strikes and bombings. If you don't see that, then you are even more of a partisan shill than everyone already thinks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    But I ask you this: If someone in some nowhere sh-thole gets a judgement against the US, who is going to try to collect? Seriously, someone says " you owe us 50 million bucks now." US says " get rekt. Come and get it if you want to try."

Seize US assets in some other country? GL to them when the retaliatory seizures of theirs start. Or if it's some place we don't care what they think, then have fun dealing with the drones.
    Probably the same way that we shake a finger vigorously at some country being naughty.

International assets frozen, sanctions, etc. Refusing to play by the rules we've been forcing on other countries would destroy international standing, shit all over treaties, and generally fuck things up on a world scale. Regardless of propaganda, the world would survive without the US playing world police.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Let me know if I have this right: An official investigation said that SA was not involved, however because the actual wording only said that the SA government and higher up officials were not involved, some ambulance chaser types are seeking to misinterpret that as a de-facto statement that lower down officials were? If so /facepalm lol.

Maybe they should sue the CIA instead, I mean if they hadn't given Osama and friends weapons/funding/training back when they were fighting the USSR there wouldn't have been a 9/11...

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    No, Obama is thinking of the people of the US. He is trying to keep us from being sued by the families of the drone strikes and bombings. If you don't see that, then you are even more of a partisan shill than everyone already thinks.
    He's also the only one not running for reelection. This whole thing is election year tough-on-terrorism politics at it's best.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like it when my sushi oppresses women and funds terrorism so I generally avoid wahhabi sauce.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

yeah, if they overturn the veto, this opens up the US getting sued from other countries too. Diplomatic immunity is a 2 way street
    American exceptionalism makes everything a one way street if one side is the US and they stand to gain anything from it.

15+ Year Old Account
    So the US are about to create their own international court of justice?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Hope that clears it up.
    We knew right from the start what you wanted to express, but it is always funny to see you try and make it appear like some resonable, logical thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I think Obama IS siding with America. He doesnt want Americans sued for our variation actions overseas, which is a precedent this would set since diplomatic immunity is a 2 way street. It just so happens this was aimed at Saudi Arabia.
    The US would just ignore the precedent, so getting sued is not the concern.
    Still you are right, he is looking out for the US' interests unlike other politicans who still try to climb the politial food chain and thus resort to populistic nonsense when it seems opportune to do so to further their own careers. (The reason why Obama isn't trying to further his own political career is obvious of course: He has no chance of reelection whatever he does.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    The bigger question is... Why do Americans always feel the need to sue people? The idea to sue Saudi Arabia is flat out ridiculous.
    Because they are under the impression it is a way to get rich fast and it wouldn't happen to them, right? (Getting sued that is.)

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Ok, let the Congress do shit and overrule. How will they react when the first lawsuits against US are filed ?
    Iran already technically won one. So it would not be a first or preventing.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Iran already technically won one. So it would not be a first or preventing.
    IIRC that was a financial suit (Iran paid the US a load of money for military equipment then the US refused to supply it or return the money). If Iran had been suing over the US organising a coup to overthrow their country then bullying them for over half a century the figure would have been much higher lol.

That's the type of lawsuit the US will be opening itself up too if it opens this floodgate, hell over a million Iraqi's died because of Bush's botched decision to invade Iraq, I'm sure many of their families would jump at the chance to sue the US (well the ones that didn't join ISIS as a result anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    American exceptionalism makes everything a one way street if one side is the US and they stand to gain anything from it.
    This is laughably naive. We aren't that powerful. We have a lot of influence in the world, but if we start doing shit like this that power will evaporate very, very quickly.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

My thoughts are, It's political suicide to vote against.

Considering how companies can already sue governments through investor-state dispute settlement, I don't see why citizens should not be able to do so as well, if they can prove themselves in court.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Surprised cat! Where have you been hiding?!
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Why political suicide? Obama is already at the end of his term & nothing he does would affect anything since he will be politically exiled anyways.
    Except his actions will greatly influence the outcome of the next election.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is one of the few times I can honestly say I support Obama fully. Passing this into law will backfire HUGELY against the US.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    This is one of the few times I can honestly say I support Obama fully. Passing this into law will backfire HUGELY against the US.
    Says something about US foreign relations.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Says something about US foreign relations.
    Says something about any country that has fought a war.