Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lightbulb Fire Mage : I am doing something terribly wrong(I guess)

Hi fellas,

I started to play again in Legion.
    First time playing mage.
    Dinged 110. ilvl 842

Take ursoc fight. almost patchwerk.
    never finished above 200k

What am I doing currently?
    Precast fireball/pyro
    get half streak - do hot streak with fireblast
    open rune field
    go combustion
    pyro
    blast
    pyro
    reset blasts
    blast
    pyro
    blast
    pyro
    phoenix
    pyro
    phoenix
    pyro

what I do out of combustion?
    Chain fireballs, pyro and fireball hits boss at the same time.
    sometimes if combustion is far, I use phoenix for half streak.

There is not much for me to do else. Why am I still terrible.
    there's been encounters I even ended up with 140k.

mage masters, guide me pls.

Crit % ? talents ?
    Also for your opening i would say , cast fireball untill you get heating up , cast fireball again and when the cast almost finishes activate combustion / rune of powet then do the normal burn rotation. ( it might not be the best , though ).

Deleted
    altered-time com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2553

Quote Originally Posted by Eluinth View Post
    Precast fireball/pyro
    get half streak - do hot streak with fireblast**
    open rune field
    go combustion
    pyro
    blast
    pyro
    reset blasts
    blast
    pyro
    blast
    pyro
    phoenix
    pyro
    phoenix
    pyro
    In regards to your opener replace your very first fireblast with with a phoenix flame. Typically i pre cast a pyro and queue a fireball if the pyro crits I cancel fireball with phoenix then with hot streak up cast RoP cast combustion at the end of the RoP cast then go into your burst . Next like others we need to know your crit % and talent choices

Deleted
    This smells like the case where someone put on ANY item they can to get high ilvl - 0 stat prio....

News flash = for certain classes and specs, ilvl means next to NOTHING. Gear properly and Artifact into right Major Skills. You want to have PI and PR when you hit artifact lvl19. That helps smoothen the gameplay A TON.

Deleted
    The opening rotation is wrong. At these point most raiders do have 19 Points in the Artifact and the phoenix cd reduction. With these the opening change a littlebit.

Precast fireball/pyro
    get half streak - do hot streak with phoenix
    open rune field
    go combustion
    pyro
    blast
    pyro
    blast
    pyro
    reset blasts
    blast
    pyro
    blast
    pyro
    phoenix
    pyro
    Depending the last pyro did crit: Recast rune, you are still on 5 stacks and 25% dmg boost
    phoenix
    pyro
    phoenix - with artifact trait phoenix ist ready again
    pyro
    blast - is of cd again.
    pyro

After combustion you just pray to the crit gods and hope your pyro keep critting. This isn't really hard to achieve, since you get high crit values with specalized gear, without needing high iLvl. Currently I am running around with 59% (with bufffood) crit in 840 GS.

What to do after burst:
    Don't use phoenix for a half streak.
    How I use phoenix: Finish hotstreak during movement, when your are over 2 or close to 3 stacks, depending on combustion cd.
    Use phoenix to keep the buff up.

A lot of my playstyle relies on the 25% buff. Once I reached 4 stacks, I focus on keeping it up. At this point I don't use fireball anymore. As long as pyro keeps critting, I finsh the hotstreak with a spell that will crit for sure. Casting fireball reduce your chance of keeping the buff by (50 * 0.(100 - your cirt vlaue))%, and you will instanly loose 25% dmg. Use a rune here to ad 50% to the 25%.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaboozyy View Post
    In regards to your opener replace your very first fireblast with with a phoenix flame. Typically i pre cast a pyro and queue a fireball if the pyro crits I cancel fireball with phoenix then with hot streak up cast RoP cast combustion at the end of the RoP cast then go into your burst . Next like others we need to know your crit % and talent choices
    Well I'm not the OP but I'm having the same issue.

Crit chance is 60% at ilvl 847 talents are 1122121 in the opener can burst up to around 500k but after that i have trouble staying above 180k O.o

Firsr xpac playing a mage in 10 years so willing to except that im really bad at it ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Archmike View Post
    Well I'm not the OP but I'm having the same issue.

Crit chance is 60% at ilvl 847 talents are 1122121 in the opener can burst up to around 500k but after that i have trouble staying above 180k O.o

Firsr xpac playing a mage in 10 years so willing to except that im really bad at it ^_^
    Enchants, trinkets, logs?

Why is nobody suggesting to use cinderstorm in your rotation? I use it in my opener with combustion to instantly get 5 stacks, after that I'm pretty much using it off CD.

OP: what dps are you managing to sustain on a dummy?

Deleted
    There are 2 possible openers:

1. Fishing for HU then -> RoP -> Comb -> FB -> Pyro -> FB -> Pyro -> FLAME ON -> FB -> Pyro -> FB -> Pyro -> PF -> Pyro -> PF -> Pyro
    2. PF -> RoP -> Comb -> FB -> Pyro -> FB -> Pyro -> FLAME ON -> FB -> Pyro -> FB -> Pyro -> PF -> Pyro -> PF -> Pyro

Difference between the two are marginal.

As for your "conserve" phase, aye, there's not much you can do except suck; which is the only thing I dislike about mages in general. All our dps is reliant on extremely short but powerful abilities with long cooldowns.

One might think, "hey, that's one spec only right"? But no, arcane is the same thing.

Ah well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post

1. Fishing for HU then -> RoP -> Comb -> FB -> Pyro -> FB -> Pyro -> FLAME ON -> FB -> Pyro -> FB -> Pyro -> PF -> Pyro -> PF -> Pyro
    2. PF -> RoP -> Comb -> FB -> Pyro -> FB -> Pyro -> FLAME ON -> FB -> Pyro -> FB -> Pyro -> PF -> Pyro -> PF -> Pyro
    You finish your HU with a PF, before going RoP and Comb.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fragga View Post
    Why is nobody suggesting to use cinderstorm in your rotation? I use it in my opener with combustion to instantly get 5 stacks
    If I may suggest another opener for fire that require to have Cinder storm and shaman casting hero on pull(when that is the strategy) and be around 20y away from boss:

1. 2 second on prepull timer - prepot+start casting RoP;
    2. Cast Cinder Storm;
    3. Midcast press Combustion and Fireblast;
    4. Phoenix->Pyro->Phoenix->Pyro->Fireblast->Pyro
    5. Here is the clunky part - You should have 2nd FB recharged, if not - 3rd charge Phoenix->Fireblast->Pyro
    6. Flame On->Fireblast->Pyro->Fireblast->Pyro

The chain is long, after combustion end you can cast the second charge of RoP. I usually do it before i press Flame On, sometimes I do not (cuz "I'M IN HOT STREAK YO!) x)
    The whole idea is that if you manage to press Combust before cinders hit you will have instantly 5 stacks of Pyretic Incantations for the beginning of the burn and u will have them for roughly 20 seconds

Would be nice also if you my dear fire colleagues give their opinion on my opener rotation.
    Last edited by mmoc0c907153ea; 2016-09-27 at 08:38 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeBit View Post
    You finish your HU with a PF, before going RoP and Comb.
    If you're fishing for the heating up, yes. Otherwise you PF and FB

Thank you all for opinions.

As for stats
    My prio was int/crit > mastery > other shiet
    %50 crit and %20 mastery right now

Talents : confg - shimmer - RoP - flameon - icefloes - livin bomb - kindling (cinder in dungeons)

Why would you lose dps downtime on a pull fishing for a HU proc with fireball or wasting a PF stack to get HU proc?

theres so many better options, you can pre cast pyro and before cast finishes hit combustion (as it doesn't share gcd) to ensure it crits and then go RoP and then start into your burst.

However if you want absolute max dps you need to be using cinderstorm.

Deleted
    Why would you lose dps downtime on a pull fishing for a HU proc with fireball or wasting a PF stack to get HU proc?

theres so many better options, you can pre cast pyro and before cast finishes hit combustion (as it doesn't share gcd) to ensure it crits and then go RoP and then start into your burst.

However if you want absolute max dps you need to be using cinderstorm.
    A. because you won't cast that last PF during comb anyway.
    B. kindling still sims higher than cinder
    C. you DO NOT want to waste time casting RoP during your combustion.

Deleted
    But this way you lose 1.5 sec (or a pyro) casting a rune during your 10sec combustion time, as well starting combustion with 0 buff stacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didnt read anyone elses stuff, but heres this

H Xavius Logs (Im Rozenzo) there are several attempts on H Xavius, all with me on top if i remember correctly
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TcVta3HYKqFwCNf1

second, this is how my burst goes, you can also watch the log replay for it @ https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...f1#view=replay
    NOTE: be sure to target my character (Rozenzo) in the raid frames and click Damage Done in the bottom left to see my casts and DPS/dmg)
    I usually sustain 280-310k on xavius

Heres a normal mode run we did for alts with a few 95+ and a 99th percentile parse
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...kjQ7M#fight=11

BURST: exact cast order I was able to reach a max of 918k burst with this, that was the highest i ever got (legion flask + wod pot)
    Precast Trinket and Pyro-Combust at the end of the cast (Wriggling Sinew trinket)
    Rune of Power
    fireball-fire blast mid cast
    Pyro - Second Pyro procs right after from the fireball
    Mage Neck Piece (Off GCD)
    FB
    Pyro
    Flame On
    FB
    Pyro
    FB
    Pyro
    Phoenix Flames
    Pyro
    Rune
    Phoenix Flames
    Phoenix Flames
    Pyro

Leme know if you have more questions

I cast ROP during Combust because casting it before makes it end in the middle of my pyro spam, and is actually more of a dmg loss than casting during Combust

BUILD:
    Conflag/Rune/Flame On/Unstable Magic/Kindling
    Last edited by Xkiller9000; 2016-09-30 at 07:15 AM.

Deleted
    Xavius is tricky to compare. The last phase with Conflag and ignite is just an ridiculous DPS boost, while bursting a single target.