Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyenut88 View Post
    Senate just overturned Obama's veto. House expected to do the same.
    Beat me to it. LOL.

As a former Democrat (Now Independent/Unaffiliated), I support the move even though it opens the door to the reverse. The U.S. Government being complicent with countries we know and they know have terror cells in their boarder aside, the good thing that will ultimately come from this is transparency. Of course the U.S. Government resisted this up to now: There are several pages from the 9/11 report that are STILL Classified because of politics 15 years later. The only possible explaination for that is because other governments are implicated.

Let's just hurry up and start World War 3 already. LOL.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    He's on his way out. He doesn't have to worry about "sounding like he wants to punish the families of terrorism victims" in the minds of people who don't realize this is an idiotic, pointless idea.

I've yet to see a single person rationalize how this is intended to accomplish anything.
    Who cares about rationalizing anything - I was responding to your assertion that the legislation was brought on by a "redneck Republican congress". Obviously, that was completely incorrect. Just wanted to set the record straight.

He's on his way out. He doesn't have to worry about "accidentally sounding like he wants to punish the families of terrorism victims" in the minds of people who don't realize this is an idiotic, pointless idea.

I've yet to see a single person rationalize how this is intended to accomplish anything.
    How does suing a company that behaves badly accomplish anything? A loss of wealth is used as a deterrent to certain behaviors. All they have is oil, something tells me they're not going to stop selling to their biggest client for any extended period of time, it just loses them more wealth. This is basically the threat of a sanction (assuming we can actually apply the law) against the country for particular acts.

It should be noted, the bill, from the title, seems to imply this only applies to terrorism. I'm sure it has language to limit the scope around which they can be sued to the acts of 9/11 in particular. So in that way, it's not really some big huge door opening, but instead a specific bill around extraordinary circumstances.
    Last edited by Narwal; 2016-09-28 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    How does suing a company that behaves badly accomplish anything? A loss of wealth is used as a deterrent to certain behaviors. All they have is oil, something tells me they're not going to stop selling to their biggest client for any extended period of time, it just loses them more wealth. This is basically the threat of a sanction (assuming we can actually apply the law) against the country for particular acts.

It should be noted, the bill, from the title, seems to imply this only applies to terrorism. I'm sure it has language to limit the scope around which they can be sued to the acts of 9/11 in particular. So in that way, it's not really some big huge door opening, but instead a specific bill around extraordinary circumstances.
    This bill is just to get votes, US courts have no power against international countries so these families can sue all they want but there is no way to force anyone to pay anything. Also this is a sad sad joke seeing how these same people stalled the zadroga bill and people who rushed into the buildings to save people died while waiting for help.

Saudi Arabia isn't going to pay a dime. Ironically this will just mean that people will waste resources for absolutely nothing during these "lawsuits".

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the President, but a veto override shows substantial will of the people, so I guess that's what the country wants. I just hope this doesn't bite us later, because the US kills, erm, "a fair number" of civilians accidentally.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a "show of power" legislation by the Republican congress trying to prove that they're "tough on *insert buzzword here*" without actually ever requiring them to do anything about it.
    So the Democrats the voted to overide it are Republicans in disguise?
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Saudi Arabia isn't going to pay a dime. Ironically this will just mean that people will waste resources for absolutely nothing during these "lawsuits".
    But we can hope that foreign civilians start suing the shit out of the US for all the overseas civilian death incidents its been a part of.

"Suing Saudi Arabia" sounds like something some wasted redneck would spout off.

No wonder it's coming from a republican congress.

It's just like building a wall to keep immigrants out. It wont do what it's supposed to do and will eventually just wind up causing everyone a headache.
    It's always funny when people use the term redneck without realizing it's historical meaning and roots.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    I feel like this bill has to serve an alternative motive. Like does this law open up the case for plaintiffs to request data against SA that was gathered by the US intelligence agencies? I don't understand in what world one could sue another country in the American court system. I feel like the law is there to gain access to something on the American side of this, to allow the exposure of SA as an enemy and not an ally on the fight against Islamic Extremists. Maybe it's just a symbolic move for the victims of 9/11, where legislators know there's no success of getting anything out of SA.
    Its def symbolic since many in the Senate (many of whom are GOP) have struck down bills that would have given 9/11 responders money for their medical expenses. .

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Its def symbolic since many in the Senate (many of whom are GOP) have struck down bills that would have given 9/11 responders money for their medical expenses. .
    That would be helpful.

They don't do helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    It's always funny when people use the term redneck without realizing it's historical meaning and roots.
    "Farm labourer" essentially wasn't it? From the sunburn on their necks turning them red, from working the fields.

Don'tget me wrong I'm Brit I don't have a clue, that's what I thought it was from though, can't remember where I read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    "Farm labourer" essentially wasn't it? From the sunburn on their necks turning them red, from working the fields.

Don'tget me wrong I'm Brit I don't have a clue, that's what I thought it was from though, can't remember where I read it.
    That’s one way it was used but that’s more slang than actual history regarding it. The term actually refers to bands of striking coal miners who took up arms against their employers and their hired strike busting agents like the Pinkertons. This was during the days after the Civil War when entire towns were being owned by the company that operated in the area, so all the stores, housing, doctors and everything/everyone else were employees of the company and they were often guilty of horrible abuses of their workers the likes of which are more commonly known to have occurred during the Industrial Revolution and the era of the Robber Barons in the early 1900s. They wore red bandanas around their faces and heads to disguise themselves thus earning the name redneck, and engaged in both straight up combat and guerilla tactics against the thugs of the companies.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    That’s one way it was used but that’s more slang than actual history regarding it. The term actually refers to bands of striking coal miners who took up arms against their employers and their hired strike busting agents like the Pinkertons. This was during the days after the Civil War when entire towns were being owned by the company that operated in the area, so all the stores, housing, doctors and everything/everyone else were employees of the company and they were often guilty of horrible abuses of their workers the likes of which are more commonly known to have occurred during the Industrial Revolution and the era of the Robber Barons in the early 1900s. They wore red bandanas around their faces and heads to disguise themselves thus earning the name redneck, and engaged in both straight up combat and guerilla tactics against the thugs of the companies.
    Your coal strikes were srs bzns too. Fair cop, thanks for the read
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    This vote comes right before the election , can't be seen as voting against 9/11. Gotta love politics .
    "The Russians can't beat us at anything--they can't even feed themselves." Woody Hayes

what is this suing the Saudis? Declare war on those Bedouin goat shaggers and wife beaters and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Frankly, As a Saudi Arabian, I am very disappointed by how this turned out.

The very same Osama Bin Laden was supported by both Saudi Arabia & USA against the Russians was condemned by both countries back in the 1980s and Saudi Arabia warned the US that he might be a problem since he himself declared war against Saudi Arabia & the USA and moved to Sudan then to Afghanistan. Yet we are held accountable for shit extremists do because "they happen to be Saudis" apparently, the government is held accountable for every citizen wrongdoing according to those dumb senates.

And they say "Saudi Arabia have nothing to worry about" bullshit! It is near impossible for Saudi Arabia to win in a court of law in the USA with double digit IQ jury. Saudi Arabia would be condemned guilty before the hearing even starts. Because apparently, in US courts, facts don't matter anymore. Those 29 pages that clears Saudi Arabia will mean absolutely nothing because no American jury will have the wit to give an honest response to 9/11 family victims.

The whole situation is fucked up & make no sense.
    Basically Saudi Arabia has no responsibility for sponsoring Wahhabism?

Can't say I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Basically Saudi Arabia has no responsibility for sponsoring Wahhabism?

Can't say I agree.
    They do, they share the blame with the US senate itself. So i guess sue both.

Congress Votes to Override Obama Veto on 9/11 Victims Bill.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/29/us...tims-bill.html

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Congress Votes to Override Obama Veto on 9/11 Victims Bill.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/29/us...tims-bill.html
    Good to see him taken down a notch. He is slipping in approval rating also according to a recent poll posted on real clear politics down to 47%

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...oval-1044.html
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2016-09-29 at 02:59 AM.