Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Is rerolling actually viable?

Hi there!
    I started playing legion on launch day and got equipped, got nightfallen rep, artifact power, AK and such.

At the same time, i leveled my monk and got order hall quest line done and Artifact Knowledge nearly up to date (slightly behind the main).

The diference between both characters remains then on the artifact power and ilvl, I havent spent much time playing the secondary character.

I realised I completely enjoy playing my monk as I find it challenging, whereas I find my main (DH) is kinnda boring. And so, the obvious question comes:

Is it possible to reroll under such circumstances? How will it affect my raiding performance? Do you recommend it?

Thanks!
    Psyholic.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking the same thing myself Psyholic. I too have a DH main (846 ilvl, almost Exalted with Nightfallen, Vegeance artifact close to 3rd major trait) and have been hesitant to make a switch (probably to another tank that isn't **** upon) because of the progress I've made.

On the con side, re-rolling would mean having to do a lot of stuff other again. On the pro side, you may be happier with the re-rolled class. Ultimately it would be up to you mate.

Deleted
    not even in the slightest

If you reroll now, you have WEEKS of AP research ahead of you and you will always a few researches behind. You also have to grind the suramar rep among other things.

As of right now, Legion is the most alt/reroll unfriendly expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Katjezz View Post
    not even in the slightest

If you reroll now, you have WEEKS of AP research ahead of you and you will always a few researches behind. You also have to grind the suramar rep among other things.

As of right now, Legion is the most alt/reroll unfriendly expansion
    And spec changing because of AP you are really stuck with a main and one spec.

Besides that from what I have read here and elsewhere it seems that no one is happy with any class or any spec except maybe the Demon Hunter so the grass is not necessarily greener.

Deleted
    It doesn't matter. People really need to chill a little bit.
    We are a month in the new expansion, so many people did just start a week or so ago, or are rerolling too.
    There won't be much of an issue regarding keeping up with others. There is still enough time to get into the whole raiding.
    And beeing one or two artifact traits behind your co-players doesn't really matter that much.

i switched mains. it puts you a little behind, but there is a catchup mechanic for artifact research. you have to play what you enjoy, so id suggest doing the change. better now than later.

Deleted
    If the character you are rerolling to is already 110, and you are up to date with knowledge research, its completely viable, as the amount of AP you get from the suramar quest line multiplied by 4 is insane(currently knowledge 6, so +275% gains, so 375% in total. Suramar questline you get around 30k ap, so in total that would be around 120k with current knowledge, gaining that much just from suramar quest line is almost enough to not even be far behind) and you wouldnt be THAT far behind on artifact traits, the only thing is rep with nightfallen, which wouldn't take too long now that you know exactly what to do, the rest would just be gearing.

Its completely viable if your alt is already 110 and youve been doing knowledge research, if not, then much much less viable even with blizzards 'catch up' mechanic

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyholic View Post
    Hi there!
    I started playing legion on launch day and got equipped, got nightfallen rep, artifact power, AK and such.

At the same time, i leveled my monk and got order hall quest line done and Artifact Knowledge nearly up to date (slightly behind the main).

The diference between both characters remains then on the artifact power and ilvl, I havent spent much time playing the secondary character.

I realised I completely enjoy playing my monk as I find it challenging, whereas I find my main (DH) is kinnda boring. And so, the obvious question comes:

Is it possible to reroll under such circumstances? How will it affect my raiding performance? Do you recommend it?

Thanks!
    Psyholic.
    It is possible to reroll, just did from rogue to Guardian druid. I played on my rogue during the first 3 weeks of the expansion, got nearly maxed out, so i went to lvl up my druid. Sure, he is atm 3 points of artifact lvl behind my rogue, but his item lvl is nearly on the same lvl I am also catching up on AK, since you get a lower timer if you are behind the current max AK Unless you are worrieng about 2-4% dps from your general artifact lvl, then i would not worry

In the end, it is all about player enjoyment. Do you enjoy playing Monk? Well, then play monk. By doing World bosses and Mythic dungeons early on in your gearing experience, you will be able to get a very good item lvl before long
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think they should make Artifact Knowledge account wide. You cannot expect people to do all that stuff all over again every time they level another character.

Gathering all the treasures and killing all the rare-elites is also going to be a hugh pain in the ass.
    Statix will suffice.

10+ Year Old Account
    the nightfallen stuff is probably the shittest aspect of it. Unlocking those mythic dungeons and stuff on alts is single handedly the worst aspect of playing alts.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    I think they should make Artifact Knowledge account wide. You cannot expect people to do all that stuff all over again every time they level another character.

Gathering all the treasures and killing all the rare-elites is also going to be a hugh pain in the ass.
    I have never seen a WoW expansion that didn't have some form of catch up mechanic in later patches. People need to remember that this is 7.0, emphasis on the "0".

BC: Badge gear
    Wrath: Badge gear/ICC dungeons
    Cataclysm: Hour of Twilight Dungeons
    MoP: Timeless Isle
    WoD: Tanaan and Apexis Gear

Legion will have an artifact power catchup, I can almost guarantee it. Whether that means it becomes account wide in patch 7.2-7.4, or just have more ways to frequently get several thousand artifact power easily, it will happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

I've been pondering this as well, but the prospect of doing Suramar full clear again plus research is daunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I have never seen a WoW expansion that didn't have some form of catch up mechanic in later patches. People need to remember that this is 7.0, emphasis on the "0".

All those in the last patch I think. Maybe people don't want to wait a year to switch spec.

Deleted
    Since it's pretty obvious that the OP is playing rather casually (i.e. no split raid alts etc) - switching mains is not a big deal.
    It won't have any visible effect on raid performance or guild progress.

You'll have to rep grind nightfallen/Suramar again, that sucks balls, but if you're fine with it, go for it.

So go ahead and switch. Play the stuff you enjoy most.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    the nightfallen stuff is probably the shittest aspect of it. Unlocking those mythic dungeons and stuff on alts is single handedly the worst aspect of playing alts.
    Then just don't do it, it's not necessary.

Why are people pondering another Suramar clear? You need Revered once for Pathfinder, it's account-wide. Maybe Exalted in case of upcoming Pathfinder achievements requiring it. Past that, all you need is 8k into Honored for the dungeons. Yeah, that'll take a little while, 2 weeks maybe, but if you're switching to a new main, what do you care anyway? I mean, you're going to be on that main anyway.

It's the first month of the expansion, you have years to wory about it. The only reason it might be any sort of a put off, is if you are in a guild pushing server firsts.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

15+ Year Old Account

Legion will have an artifact power catchup, I can almost guarantee it. Whether that means it becomes account wide in patch 7.2-7.4, or just have more ways to frequently get several thousand artifact power easily, it will happen.
    Well, sure, but what if you want to reroll now? Or level an alt? I'm nearing the point where I want to start leveling an alt, but I dread all the shit that I have to do.
    Statix will suffice.

There is an artifact power catchup mechanism already. It's called artifact knowledge.

Well AK research is faster now than back when Legion released. If you create a character right now, the first AK research only takes a day or so. Sure you might be behind the next few weeks, but in a month there's hardly gonna be a difference between your alt and someone else's main.

My main needs like 70k for the next trait in the weapon, and even with AK5 this will still take a long ass time. 70k is around the same you'd need to get to the same stage from scratch.

Suramar rep doesn't take long, esp since you have experience with withered army now.