Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I'm going to wrap up a few series (91 Days, Orange, Alderamin, Mob Psycho)
    Any chance on a review? I finished it today, and I'm curious how you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Here's my review.

If you didn't at least like Reigen, you have bad taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Sounds fun. I'm going to wrap up a few series (91 Days, Orange, Alderamin, Mob Psycho) and that's probably next on the list as I only have a few episodes of each.
    I'd offer to join in too but I'm waiting to buy the blu-ray to do my next rewatch of it :P
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I'm not sure if I'll opt for a full review. Short version:

It was okay. The essence of it weaved close to something I could appreciate, but ultimately I felt it was only executed with mild skill.

From the beginning I was intrigued by the simple statement they made that psychic powers were simply one trait among many, and that ultimately they did not make you an interesting, popular, or even exceptional person. Mob's very nature was a refutation of all of this. The commentary on the other psychics also backed this up: their skills were unreliable and better performed by the miracle of technology anyway. I liked that theme, as it allowed the series to explore (in a simplistic way) what it means to be a good person while also purposefully bucking the trend of series that focus on special abilities and nothing else.

In this way I don't find any particular fault: avoiding common tropes can be enjoyable to watch. The one that stands out the most to me is the contrast between the Telepathy and Body Enhancement clubs. The Telepathy Club is not the plucky underdog club full of misfits who are actually diamonds in the rough; they are goof-offs who just want to use the spare club room to play video games. On the other end, the Body Enhancement Club were actually rather nice guys who were genuinely interested in improving themselves while deploring violence and being better friends to Mob than most people in the series.

Finally, carried to the end the climax against the Claw members restates this initial idea: that despite their seemingly amazing powers, they were really just puerile and emotionally underdeveloped in the end. Having psychic powers didn't make them happy or in control of their lives.

Now, I'm a sucker for the basic theme but as hard as I tried I couldn't take the anime seriously. I recognize that it is obviously meant to also be a comedy, but while some series mix their comedy and seriousness well I didn't feel that they made an effective recipe in Mob Psycho. The series' aesthetic of extreme-yet-simplistic is carried over into its construction. Ultimately the message felt like a watered-down version of FMA's message: that we are all only human. But while FMA had touches of classical hubris to it, Mob Psycho came out far more petulant.

Beyond this, I honestly believe that the end scenes would have been more impressive if Reigen had been more effective as a con-man. That he was able to make headway at all with simple tricks against psychic powers was one of my favorite aspects, but ultimately the show did boil down to "Mob is God." It kind of contradicted the message they were trying to weave while also feeling far less clever.

I also couldn't get over the visual style. One of the reasons I liked One Punch Man was the beautiful visual execution, and Mob Psycho's purposeful web comic look grated on me to the end. It gets points for some stylistic moments, especially during the fights, but overall it looked cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Its my cake day, today.
    Happy cake day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Overlord movie announced. (In Japanese, but still source)

Still wish we got a second season, but I'm still excited.

People are saying it skips a lot of material though, and goes all the way to volume 11. Not sure how far the first season covered up to though. (Nothing backing this up, just reading from random comments)
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2016-09-29 at 07:41 AM.

Watching the Danish Terrace stream, you know classes are balanced when a holy paladin is nr 4 on dps.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently several guilds got stuck at 5/7 mythic because the portal to cenarius didn't appear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time to check Howard Lovecraft & the Frozen Kingdom.

Reading critics that it has bad animation.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Overlord movie announced. (In Japanese, but still source)

Still wish we got a second season, but I'm still excited.

People are saying it skips a lot of material though, and goes all the way to volume 11. Not sure how far the first season covered up to though. (Nothing backing this up, just reading from random comments)
    Anime covered till volume 3 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Watching the Danish Terrace stream, you know classes are balanced when a holy paladin is nr 4 on dps.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently several guilds got stuck at 5/7 mythic because the portal to cenarius didn't appear.
    They got stuck after they zoned out and went back in later after some sleep. Exorcus didn't take a break.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    Hm...i dont think its gona be a good movie. Morioh doesnt look like spain at all. More like some american suburb city.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    I don't even care about Jojo that much, but this. This is something I've got to see. Miike is an auteur at capturing the essence of manga. The absolute king of Japanese schlock is always going to make something amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post

Good, you can tell me how bad it is

Its actuly pretty ok. Its more or less made for kids, but still dark like heck (kids wont get it). Only downside is probaly animation (but that expected from a cheap movie).
    Maybe some part of voice acting was bad.

Here is a screenshot from it:
    http://shrani.si/f/w/Rx/4FNdzXtH/how...ft--the-fr.jpg

And spoiler:
    Some world from another dimension that was a total peace, started to use dark arts and those dark arts summoned c-thulu. The sons father opened a portal to that world and had a adventure. Once he came back to earth he was worried that the book will fail into wrong hands (wich would unleash the monster on earth). Wich drove him mad. His son gets the book back at the end and brings it to him back to the center.

Looks like method beat Serenity to 7/7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Looks like method beat Serenity to 7/7.
    I can't even imagine how fucking salty Serenity must be right now. But then again, they still have the other raid to beat Method lol.

Twitch banter.

- - - Updated - - -

that is sausage to me

10+ Year Old Account
    One Piece - So Reiju really helped Sanji escape, I said it last week but I guess it was too obvious lol.