Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonaZe View Post
    Special snowflakes, special rebelous snowflakes. As you can see in the comments there is a shitload of them.
    Even got some saying suits are old fashion...
    In their defense suits are pretty old fashioned. Male, professional workplace attire hasn't changed significantly in like 120 years.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Or unless it's summer and there's no air conditioning. Otherwise, I agree.
    I wouldnt work for a company that doesnt have air conditioning

Deleted
    Times moved on. Every company i've worked for has not enforced suit & tie.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus the young "non-conformist" community is weird. Do you need to be in a suit for a job interview? No, but wear well-fitting, ironed pants. Yes, even jeans fit this category when they're clean and sized appropriately. None of this baggy shit and no skin tight weirdness. For a shirt, button ups. Again, size is extremely important. Make sure that it fits you and that its not hanging down to the middle of your thighs (since I assume you're not going to tuck it in.) Make sure the collar of your undershirt is pressed, non wrinkled and bright clean.

Fashionable boots or loafers will go a long way with this outfit. Clean, unscuffed. There's also plenty of room for originality. Roll up your sleeves, tucked shirt to show off a matching belt, button to the neck or leave one undone.

it baffles me how so many of our youth are completely alien to the concept of looking nice. The fact that so many of you jumped right to the suit-extreme shows this. If you wear a worn tshirt and ripped pants to an interview for anything short of a tattoo parlor, you aren't going to be taken seriously.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Most likely because most people dont want to be honest because they are afraid that you wont hire them if they give you an honest example of poor job performance. They want to sell themselves in an interview, and not sink their ship
    It's funny, because interview questions sometimes aren't really asking what it seems they are. For example, for my current job, I was asked how to install a network printer. I was applying for a tech support job at a software company. Why on earth would I need to know how to install a printer, when our company works with web based software?

The question was asked so they could test my skills at explaining step by step instructions to someone. It didn't matter if the steps were correct, but instead the way I explained them was what they were looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post

Try to get a job as a global project manager in the clinical industry, while dressed in anything less than business attire. It will not go well for you.

Some places are less 'professional' than others. But there are industries where your physical representation is very important as it is a reflection of the company.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Me and our talent acquisition office joked about this actually, and your point is well received. I went and told her about how one applicant had said some crazy shit in an interview and she was like man if somebody asks you what your weak points are in a job you tell them "I sometimes work too hard"

But really to the question we ask I'll accept self promotion or honesty, as long as you answer the question. Somebody went on for a good 5 minutes on some random tangent and then asked me if he'd answered the question.
    that is such a horrible and canned answer. If you answer with you work to hard, or you are a perfectionist at work, anyone even just OK at interviewing is going to see right through you and know you are full of shit. Hell it's so meme level at this point if was even a joke on The Office.

Answer that question truthfully. Then outline what you do to overcome the weakness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfish25 View Post
    Alot of people don't realize it but house prices going up like crazy , wages staying the same. it's a just a modern form of slavery. to keep everyone in check so you can never stop working. , in the 1960's you could buy a house for around 2-3 years wages of a standard job. in the UK right now the Average joe's wont own a house in their life time. you'll still be paying off a Mortgage in your 60's.
    You still can, at least in the US unless you want to live in New York City or San Francisco. I see thousands of homes within 30 miles of me for $125k or less. Yeah, they may not have a 5 acre yard, or attached 4 car garage. But they generally have 2 bedrooms 1.5 bath, a half acre to 1 acre of land, and off street parking.

Here is a perfect example (4 bedroom, 2 bath .8 acre lot, basement, Central Air) $120,000 asking price and you could probably negotiate it down a bit

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2_M32396-83297

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luko View Post
    Jesus the young "non-conformist" community is weird. Do you need to be in a suit for a job interview? No, but wear well-fitting, ironed pants. Yes, even jeans fit this category when they're clean and sized appropriately. None of this baggy shit and no skin tight weirdness. For a shirt, button ups. Again, size is extremely important. Make sure that it fits you and that its not hanging down to the middle of your thighs (since I assume you're not going to tuck it in.) Make sure the collar of your undershirt is pressed, non wrinkled and bright clean.

Fashionable boots or loafers will go a long way with this outfit. Clean, unscuffed. There's also plenty of room for originality. Roll up your sleeves, tucked shirt to show off a matching belt, button to the neck or leave one undone.

it baffles me how so many of our youth are completely alien to the concept of looking nice. The fact that so many of you jumped right to the suit-extreme shows this. If you wear a worn tshirt and ripped pants to an interview for anything short of a tattoo parlor, you aren't going to be taken seriously.
    Jeans are fine if you are wearing a nice fitting button down, tucked in, and nice clean shoes (dress shoes preferably, not Jordans)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Did you still proceed with the interview even if you knew they weren't going to be hired?

If yes, then you should've told them that their attire is not appropriate and that you won't interview them since it would be a waste of time for both parties. Maybe then, they would learn.
    You always proceed and you give as little reason for rejection as possible. You don't wanna be sued for whatever retarded claim of discrimination. That's not exactly helpful for people who apply, but those are the rules. At least in many countries.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    that is such a horrible and canned answer. If you answer with you work to hard, or you are a perfectionist at work, anyone even just OK at interviewing is going to see right through you and know you are full of shit. Hell it's so meme level at this point if was even a joke on The Office.

Answer that question truthfully. Then outline what you do to overcome the weakness.
    That'd be the preferred way to answer it, but like I said me and her were joking about it.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post

The person doing the interviewing doesn't owe you anything. It's your responsibility to make a good impression...not their job to see past your shitty clothes. It's really easy, folks, if you want a job you play the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You still can, at least in the US unless you want to live in New York City or San Francisco. I see thousands of homes within 30 miles of me for $125k or less. Yeah, they may not have a 5 acre yard, or attached 4 car garage. But they generally have 2 bedrooms 1.5 bath, a half acre to 1 acre of land, and off street parking.

Here is a perfect example (4 bedroom, 2 bath .8 acre lot, basement, Central Air) $120,000 asking price and you could probably negotiate it down a bit

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2_M32396-83297

The difference between the prices in NJ and NY compared to PA are insane. That house would easily be over 200k in NJ. Mostly due to the size of the property. 8 acres is pretty big when considering NJ suburbs where we get 1 acre, and most of that is used up by the house.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No idea what OP is talking about.

I always rock out in an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    That'd be the preferred way to answer it, but like I said me and her were joking about it.
    lol, I know just making a general statement for others.

Deleted
    You really don't need to show up in a suit, but a certain degree of trying to conform to the expected can and SHOULD be a norm.

If you are going to work directly with people; make sure you don't stand out (via tatoos, unkept hair, unkept visuals, tatoos, piercings...)
    If you apply for a marketing position the 1st show of competence will be how you market yourself. You are supposed to still show up in a conforming manner and then blow them out of the water with ideas/experience/etc.

Remember:
    A man in a suit is impressive; but only till you find out he's working for a man in a t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by treclol View Post
    Does the way they dress affect their work performance? Are they worse people because of the way they dress?
    In a technical way yes, it does. Your clothing both represents your mindset and influences it, as does anything in your work environment. It also influences the professional mood of others who interact with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    It's a very judgmental approach to label people based on appearance like that. Most are aware of what is considered standard interview attire but consider their personal expression important and don't wish to set a false expectation. You should understand that an interview is a two way process and not everybody is willing to compromise everything to impress you.
    Thankfully in IT its mentioned in many interviews I do specifically not to dress up for an interview because they don't care how you look while many others are done over Skype anyway, though I can understand if you're in the public eye that first appearance is important.
    Employers in most fields don't care about personal expression. Personal expression becomes a risk factor over candidates who don't 'express themselves'. If you have two candidates equal in all measures, but one of them is dressed in a nice shirt and pants and the other just rolled out of bed, who will they think wants the job more?

The reason for dressing to a particular code is respect for the individual/company that might be hiring you, and a display of how invested you are in getting the job. They often have many, many applicants, and unless you're miles ahead of them, dressing to 'express yourself' is generally a handicap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    The person doing the interviewing doesn't owe you anything. It's your responsibility to make a good impression...not their job to see past your shitty clothes. It's really easy, folks, if you want a job you play the game.
    I'd like that the interviewer is a decent, non judging person that isn't living in decades gone by.

It's all subjective - Why is being a drone, wearing the exact same thing as everybody else, making a good impression?

Quote Originally Posted by treclol View Post
    Does the way they dress affect their work performance? Are they worse people because of the way they dress?
    The way you present yourself is a reflection on your personality. If you're not willing to present yourself in a way that sells you to the company that you want to work for, you're basically saying you're not worth hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    So why can't some people dress proper?
    Dress for the job you want, not the job you are interviewing for. That's the motto or some shit, so, maybe if I want to be the owner/CEO like at Microsoft, where I can wear whatever I want is my end goal... at that point, I'm already there. If you ask them why they dressed/look the way they do, you can get a good creative answer out of them that'll help influence your decision to hire them... just not the "it's in fashion" guy, cuz fuck him.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================