Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    The frankfurt team is just amazing. I honestly think they saved the game.
    Totally agree. The near death of Crytek and RSI having the money to hire the original creators of the Crytek code was a such a fortuitous set of events.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Totally agree. The near death of Crytek and RSI having the money to hire the original creators of the Crytek code was a such a fortuitous set of events.
    I'm curious as to how the Logitech buyout of Saitek will affect the HOTAS setup that they were contracted to make.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious as to how the Logitech buyout of Saitek will affect the HOTAS setup that they were contracted to make.
    Cant be any worse than madcatz saitek, although I doubt it'll get much better. Thrustmaster still seems to be the go-to brand for quality flight sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    At least it tries to be unbiased, but it is fairly critical of Chris Roberts because it is his project and he wants the game made to a certain level of quality. If people feel overworked, they aren't being forced to stay with the company. The best leaders and creators over the course of history were not all nice people, in fact, histories biggest visionaries have mostly been assholes or egomaniacs.
    Just because other people have been arseholes doesn't really justify him being an arsehole. What about not being arsehole and still inspiring your team to deliver their best, surely that would be a far greater achievement.

I totally disagree that he's a 'visionary', if anything the guy is a one trick pony. He's taken one idea (WC) and run with it because it was successful, each and every game he's been involved in follows exactly the same premise. That's not being a visionary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Just because other people have been arseholes doesn't really justify him being an arsehole. What about not being arsehole and still inspiring your team to deliver their best, surely that would be a far greater achievement.

I totally disagree that he's a 'visionary', if anything the guy is a one trick pony. He's taken one idea (WC) and run with it because it was successful, each and every game he's been involved in follows exactly the same premise. That's not being a visionary.
    There's a difference between being an ass and being strict. It can be a fine line, but as long as he's being consistent about getting the goal done, and as long as there are people that that are genuinely happy with their job that can handle the pressure that this project is creating, then I really don't see it as being an ass. It's easier to say these things when watching from the sidelines, but if Chris wants to get this game done in a reasonable manner with how he wants it to be done (and the millions of backers), then he needs to crack the whip sometimes.
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2016-09-26 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo

The article is critical of CR, but for good reason as was detailed by them. Which is also pretty much a very poorly hidden secret, as most people should have already had the general feeling that CR is a bit of a diva and control freak. It is indeed a large stroke of luck they were able to hire on all the CryEngine talent when they did. As others have been saying, I also hadn't realized how crucial Erin has been in organizing and managing the game so far. It's probably a very good thing Erin is onboard with the project, as he's probably the only one that can really push back against Chris, seeing as he's his brother. And that he also stayed in the games industry and has a lot of experience in a project management role.

I actually feel a lot more confident in the team after reading that article, honestly. Sure, they've had more than their share of roadblocks due to trailblazing new tech, having to spool up studios and staff as the crowdfunding continued to grow, etc. But it does seem like they're now firmly over the hump on those issues and in a position to really hit their stride for the home stretch to S42 and a module-complete PTU offering.

Deleted
    loooooooool

i would trust the dude who spent decades not finishing duke nukem forever, he knows how shit is looking hahaha

George Broussard
    ‏@georgeb3dr
    No professional developer I know would recommend you continue buying $$$ spaceships in Star Citizen. That said, have fun. It’s your $.

George Broussard ‏@georgeb3dr Sep 27
    No, I just know how shit works.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    And most people haven't spent a dime in ages. Whales gonna whale, the rest of us who actually want to play the game when it comes out aren't wasting our money, tool.

Quote Originally Posted by EvcRo View Post
    loooooooool

i would trust the dude who spent decades not finishing duke nukem forever, he knows how shit is looking hahaha

George Broussard
    ‏@georgeb3dr
    No professional developer I know would recommend you continue buying $$$ spaceships in Star Citizen. That said, have fun. It’s your $.

George Broussard ‏@georgeb3dr Sep 27
    No, I just know how shit works.
    I can't tell what you're trying to do here...it's like you're using him to try to take a jab at Star Citizen...but you start off your post by undercutting the dude and portraying him as incompetent...which would make people inclined to roll their eyes and ignore what he has to say.

I'm not sure you thought your post through very well.

Deleted
    i just posted a famous developer opinion about star citizen that's all

if you read more carefully you will see the thing. Broussard is expert in failing to deliver, he knows his shit, he recognizes it when seeing one. How do they call it ? kiss of death ?

Quote Originally Posted by EvcRo View Post
    i just posted a famous developer opinion about star citizen that's all

if you read more carefully you will see the thing. Broussard is expert in failing to deliver, he knows his shit, he recognizes it when seeing one. How do they call it ? kiss of death ?
    The difference here is that Broussard failed to deliver because his company was too busy playing World of Warcraft instead of developing a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still surprised that this dude keeps going on about how caring he is about how everyone is spending their money. It's kind of cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    The difference here is that Broussard failed to deliver because his company was too busy playing World of Warcraft instead of developing a game.
    Nah Broussard had an epic problem with feature creep, I think DNF changed engines 4 times. At one point they were going to put terminals in the game that could actually connect to the interwebz. It was the game to end all games and you just cannot deliver on that.

I doubt he knows f all about what is going on in Robertsland.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last article in kotaku uk SC series: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/30/w...f-star-citizen

"It is difficult, after all these months of research and having heard from so many people involved with the project, to seriously entertain the notion that Star Citizen is some kind of intentional scam."

"For the record, we did look into all kinds of wild claims about how Cloud Imperium Games is spending its money, and found nothing reportable."

"If there is anything more nefarious than that going on, we have found no convincing evidence of it."

"There is abundant evidence of its past and ongoing development, more than enough to account for the money that has been raised."

Last article in kotaku uk SC series: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/30/w...f-star-citizen

"It is difficult, after all these months of research and having heard from so many people involved with the project, to seriously entertain the notion that Star Citizen is some kind of intentional scam."

"For the record, we did look into all kinds of wild claims about how Cloud Imperium Games is spending its money, and found nothing reportable."

"If there is anything more nefarious than that going on, we have found no convincing evidence of it."

"There is abundant evidence of its past and ongoing development, more than enough to account for the money that has been raised."
    I don't think there was ever any really serious belief in a deliberate scam.

As they say elsewhere in the article, however, the concern is whether the game can live up to the hype and whether - when it is eventually released - it will be "special" given that a number of games will be covering pretty much the same ground...albeit with a different focus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KyrtF View Post
    I don't think there was ever any really serious belief in a deliberate scam.

As they say elsewhere in the article, however, the concern is whether the game can live up to the hype and whether - when it is eventually released - it will be "special" given that a number of games will be covering pretty much the same ground...albeit with a different focus.
    You seem to have missed the last 3 years of controversy around this game then. And the continued FUD by a certain group and his followers (one being a frequent poster in this thread).

But I do agree, the hype surrounding this game could very well be its downfall. They've been doing a good job about it for the most part, but there are a few things here and there that still worry me, such as ship systems, ship usefulness (pricing being a bit of a factor in that), and piracy/pvp (with it being an mmo and all), among other things that I can't think of at the moment.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to have missed the last 3 years of controversy around this game then. And the continued FUD by a certain group and his followers (one being a frequent poster in this thread).

But I do agree, the hype surrounding this game could very well be its downfall. They've been doing a good job about it for the most part, but there are a few things here and there that still worry me, such as ship systems, ship usefulness (pricing being a bit of a factor in that), and piracy/pvp (with it being an mmo and all), among other things that I can't think of at the moment.
    The legal precedent of SC being a scam would cost Chris Roberts more than his reputation, it would probably have him imprisoned for a long time along with destroying the reputations of the people working under him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The legal precedent of SC being a scam would cost Chris Roberts more than his reputation, it would probably have him imprisoned for a long time along with destroying the reputations of the people working under him.
    100% True. It's just unfortunate that not everyone realizes that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Oh god, please tell me this game isn't using Cryengine?!

That engine sucked from day one. It was never properly optimized and the engine is still riddled with bugs. Cryengine was a day one uninstall for me. Gamebryo lasted longer on my dev box than Cryengine, that has to tell you something.

(I'm still butthurt over Cryengine, as you can tell.)
    Last edited by Beazy; 2016-10-03 at 08:19 PM.

It's using Cryengine in the same sense that an AMG Merc is using a Mercedes engine :E

Heavily modified.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.