Deleted

No sound in Headphone mode with Sound Blaster Z

Hi!

Recently got a new computer with a Sound Blaster Z soundcard, and a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Trying to get the best sound possible by tweaking the settings a bit in the Sound Blaster Z-Series Control Panel.

When I have the settings put to "Speakers" mode, sound works for my headphones (screenshot), no problem at all. Everything works perfect. (What you're looking for is in the top middle where it says "Speakers").

But when I switch to "Headphones" mode, like this (screenshot), sound stops working. Since I can't hear the sound coming from headphones mode, I can't compare them and wouldn't know if it don't matter. Since I am using headphones, I am just assuming that headphones mode is what I want to use.

I appreciate any help I can get, and thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheeya View Post
    Hi!

Recently got a new computer with a Sound Blaster Z soundcard, and a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Trying to get the best sound possible by tweaking the settings a bit in the Sound Blaster Z-Series Control Panel.

When I have the settings put to "Speakers" mode, sound works for my headphones (screenshot), no problem at all. Everything works perfect. (What you're looking for is in the top middle where it says "Speakers").

But when I switch to "Headphones" mode, like this (screenshot), sound stops working. Since I can't hear the sound coming from headphones mode, I can't compare them and wouldn't know if it don't matter. Since I am using headphones, I am just assuming that headphones mode is what I want to use.

I appreciate any help I can get, and thanks in advance!
    Your headphones have 5.1 surround sound built in. Headphone setting is for basic left/right headphones only. Since your headphones have 5.1 Surround, you need to use 5.1 Surround. They likely get the signal for only left/right and just can't do anything with it, because they are not designed to.

10+ Year Old Account
    That button is there so you can have your speakers and headphones plugged in at the same time and switch between them without having to get up. You need to plug in your headphones in the headphone connector (the one with the headphone logo) and your speakers to the one next to it. This way, when you select headphone mode, you'll hear the sounds through your headphone and when you select the speakers mode, you'll hear them through your speakers. Like this:

By the way, even if you don't use speakers, plug your headphones into that connector to get the best performance. It's high powered. Speaker connectors have low power because speakers have a separate power adapter anyways.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau View Post
    That button is there so you can have your speakers and headphones plugged in at the same time and switch between them without having to get up. You need to plug in your headphones in the headphone connector (the one with the headphone logo) and your speakers to the one next to it. This way, when you select headphone mode, you'll hear the sounds through your headphone and when you select the speakers mode, you'll hear them through your speakers. Like this:

By the way, even if you don't use speakers, plug your headphones into that connector to get the best performance. It's high powered. Speaker connectors have low power because speakers have a separate power adapter anyways.
    When I plug it into the Headphone connector I get no sound at all. Am I doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Your headphones have 5.1 surround sound built in. Headphone setting is for basic left/right headphones only. Since your headphones have 5.1 Surround, you need to use 5.1 Surround. They likely get the signal for only left/right and just can't do anything with it, because they are not designed to.
    Sennheiser 598s are not 5.1 surround headphones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Sennheiser 598s are not 5.1 surround headphones.
    So is there a problem with not being able to use headphone mode?

Deleted
    You have two connectors, one for normal 2.0(2.1) speakers and one for the headphones. As posted above on the picture.

If you connect your headphones to the dedicated headphone port (which you should do, because there is the amp for the headphones), you have to put the it on 'headphone' mode in the control panel.

All that switch does is deciding which port will have the sound output.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    You have two connectors, one for normal 2.0(2.1) speakers and one for the headphones. As posted above on the picture.

If you connect your headphones to the dedicated headphone port (which you should do, because there is the amp for the headphones), you have to put the it on 'headphone' mode in the control panel.

All that switch does is deciding which port will have the sound output.
    Even with headphones plugged into the headphones port there's no sound coming out when I switch to headphone mode though.

Deleted
    Do you have any other headphones around? Or try it with your boxes if you have any.

It could be that the headphone port is just broken, which is bad luck.