Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

the community of wow is just...

I've been playing this game for 12 years. On and off.

It is the first time ever that its not the game itself and the lack of content that is forcing me to quit but the community itself.

I don't know why but so far into legion I haven't found many people that are alright to play with. Elitism has hit the rooftop and everyone expects you to play like a God, and of course if you don't your gonna get flamed.

I had plenty of instances where people were trying to blame me for their own faults or generally blame its other. Drama all over the place.

Examples: I joined a boost 865+ group with my keystone. I was the healer. I am 862ilvl myself so I'd say I can keep up with them. We went in the instance (Court of Stars +5) and tank started masspulling. Some of the dps including me died 2-3 times, bare in mind this was due to overpulling. Then a mage died 1 shot from an aoe hit and started flaming me that I don't know what am doing or anything. I looked at my own combat log and the mob did 1.8k hit to me and I have 15% dmg reduction on anything, that poor mage was 1 shot, no place were I could save him.
    At the end of the instance I told them thanks for the run and I tried to be as humble as possible saying "sorry for not being up to your level". They started flaming me like "yes you suck" etc... not even being sensible saying its alright mate or something.

Another instance is I joined a guild as a social. They are wiping on Xavius hc. I have pugged him 2 times until now. The leader asks me to go and help them... I say alright I'll help out. We start the first pull where we wipe on around 25%. I am sitting on the top of healing meters with about 5% more healing done than the 2nd healer. The leader asks me to use a flask for the next pull. I tell him that flasks are quite expensive for me and I think I don't really need it. He insists that this is a guild run and everyone should flask up etc even if they are social and haven't signed up for any raiding with the guild... Anyways being bullied into flasking, I do that and we pull another 4 times. We wipe every time because the tactics are all over the place. Every single pull am sitting on the top of healing meters and doing dispels etc accordingly. On the next try the leader tells me to dispel while am not on the dream and on ph2-3 having got hit by an add that wasn't soaked. I dispel and go 100 corruption. After that try the leader is like its alright thanks for the help we don't need you and removes 5 people from the group. Hows that even my fault, his bad leadership being forced into me. He could have been much nicer with a social member in his guild trying to boost his group. (Guess what? They kept wiping after for like 20 tries and never got him).

Those are just 2 examples, obviously I have way too many instances where people in this game tried to be absolute a!%^^^%.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Literally on the edge of just closing down my account due to the treatment, is there something I can fix in order to play with people that are not psychologically unstable?

Welcome to the internet? Most game communities nowadays are just full of trolls, ragekids, wannabe-elitist and so on. The games where it's really different are very very rare and most won't last long, the communities i mean, before they get invaded as well

Quote Originally Posted by Darometh View Post
    Welcome to the internet? Most game communities nowadays are just full of trolls, ragekids, wannabe-elitist and so on. The games where it's really different are very very rare and most won't last long, the communities i mean, before they get invaded as well
    right there... welcome to the internet. You are one of those guys, I told you after 12 years of playing this game its the first time I've felt it. Read the post then reply.

Now you have an answer why no one likes playing mainspec healer (outside of guilds), you always end up being blamed for others standing in the fire.

Anyway, if you're a better healer than the rest of your guild, I'd say, join a better guild. Log (warcraftlogs website etc.) your experiences as this matters for recruitment.

I played main resto druid in wotlk and had exactly same experience, dps underperforming and hitting enrage timers? WTF healer Y U OOM. DPS standing in the fire? Tanks not using any form of tank cd? WTF healer Y I died!

Since then I never ever mained a healer again. Most thankless job, no one thanks you if boss dies, only dps e-peen on the meters, everyone blames you in case of wipe. Can't carry pugs either unlike good tank / dps.

I found out pugs are toxic as hell, and low skill guilds are the most tryharding (gonna blame you for not playing the FOTM spec and so on). Doesn't have to be this way though. For example in my guild we do wipe on mythic +6 or +7 but no one rages at each other. Very unlikely in pugs. Pugs always rage and whine.

Keep looking for a nice guild that does stuff you want to do. I don't see any other way. During HFC my first mythic raiding guild I joined had unpleasant atmosphere, guild master kept blaming people, kicking them out and generally I didn't feel much at home in there, I changed guild and it was completely different story. GM was very laid back. Sadly they disbanded after 11/13 mythic but I found another one, my current and it suits me.

TLDR:
    1. PUGs suck.
    2. Not every guild will suit you.
    3. Keep searching don't give up.
    Last edited by Marrilaife; 2016-10-02 at 08:12 PM.

LFG + cross server = people are easily disposable and replacable.

It's a problem.

Healers are like the goal keepers of WoW. It doesn't matter how many epic saves you preform because as soon as one goal slips past you are the devil and everything is your fault.

Two things.

First, small sample size is small. It's not to say that anecdotal evidence doesn't matter, because it does. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences. I certainly would never bring myself as a raid leader to blame someone who's so clearly doing his job. (This is, however, a rare and delicate skill in leadership: Identifying problems rightly and rectifying them instead of blaming the wrong people.) All that said, I've had great experiences in this and every expac, with a new guild in each, and IMO people are generally still pretty helpful.

Second, though, keep in mind that as we've been getting older, the average age of WoW players probably hasn't increased THAT much. I'm 27, for example, in a Master's program, been married, etc. I've got a good amount of life under my belt since Vanilla. I'd bet I wouldn't get along IRL with a bunch of 15-20 year olds, much less in a game where everyone is entitled and anonymity breeds rudeness.

Anyway, shake the dust off your feet and keep going, my man. Try and hunt for a mature guild where the main players are at least 21+. Be strict on your personal standards. For example, if I join a guild vent for the first time and they're talking about smoking weed 24/7, I generally /gquit right there. Eventually you'll find the right fit.

In general, though, I don't think it's World of Warcraft. I think the average quality of the general population has gone way down. Personally I suspect this is based in materialistic cultural nihilism, but I'm sure all the raging atheists on MMO-C will be quick with a Huffpost study or something trying to refute that.

Deleted
    Take a look at the thread where people are talking about personal loot and disenchanting, its just horrible, people would rather disenchant something for a chaos crystal than make someones day.

nothing less than horrible human beings that only see pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    right there... welcome to the internet. You are one of those guys, I told you after 12 years of playing this game its the first time I've felt it. Read the post then reply.
    And with that comment you became what you are complaining about. Yummy hypocrisy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Healers are like the goal keepers of WoW. It doesn't matter how many epic saves you preform because as soon as one goal slips past you are the devil and everything is your fault.
    Excellent comparison
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Pawstruck View Post
    In general, though, I don't think it's World of Warcraft. I think the average quality of the general population has gone way down. Personally I suspect this is based in materialistic cultural nihilism, but I'm sure all the raging atheists on MMO-C will be quick with a Huffpost study or something trying to refute that.
    fuckn atheists..bringing proof and science

Deleted
    My takeaway from this is that people mass pull in mythics. Must be real hard then, doing high level mythics, if mass pulling is a viable option. I'm just pointing this out mainly because mythic runners seem to be saying mythics are so hard and require so much skill and strategy.

Remember those 7 NPC packs back in TBC, and when you actually had to CC 2-3 of them in order to have any chance of surviving? Yeah, I guess those days aren't coming back any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawstruck View Post
    Personally I suspect this is based in materialistic cultural nihilism
    As opposed to what, then?
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-10-02 at 08:56 PM.

Deleted
    The modern design of WoW makes people be able to show the worst side of them without consequence. It's simply bad game design.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ive quit legion as quit as i bought it it. Ive now subscribed to a Vanilla server and within half an hour im actively talking in a guild and finding parties in Mulgore. The game is a fantastic multiplayer game, much better then the single player mode you play today.

Gregg Street killed this game then ran away with his tail between his legs.

I'll be honest. I think I'm generally just lucky with the people I meet on WoW. Ive done tons of mythic+ runs, never had a group where someone didn't pass loot on to another person if that person needed it. Never found anyone rude, elitist or obnoxious in those runs either. Most of the people I meet on the general forums are funny (unless I purposely go into an obvious troll thread), etc. I haven't had many bad experiences.

Because of that, I enjoy the community a lot more. I've met some idiots in trade chat that attempted aggravated bait trolling but /ignore works like a charm. I really enjoy communicating with people in my guild, on the official forums and here. There's plenty of awesome and nice people.

This is all absolutely normal and has been for the entirety of WoW, simple answer is never PUG, pugging is a fast way to hate humanity in all it's MMO playing glory.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    then you havent really been paying attention much to the rest of the community.
    its been shit like that for years.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Ive quit legion as quit as i bought it it. Ive now subscribed to a Vanilla server and within half an hour im actively talking in a guild and finding parties in Mulgore. The game is a fantastic multiplayer game, much better then the single player mode you play today.

Gregg Street killed this game then ran away with his tail between his legs.
    So u gotta party up in a starting zone?

I don't think its a WoW thing honestly, i think its more of a western centric thing. First time i tried the FFXIV beta on PS3 back in the day i was shocked to see the strangest thing to a person who plays mmos and online games mostly made in the west: An item in the main story quest you had to click to trigger a fight and only one person could do it at a time AND THERE WAS A QUE. Like an actual in world que of people lining up and talking. It seems in my experience to come from a place in modern western games of 'i'm here for me' but 'japanese mmos' which are by and large more grind and less singular carrot' lean more to 'we are all in this together' which is kind of being phased out a little.
    Its not like ones better than the other, having WoW and FFXIV as the top two sub mmos means competition which means things like warlords and FFXIV 1.0 are less likely to happen because theres something popular that isnt just a knock off of the other. But playerbase wise there is a difference. Its in other games like PSO2 but XIV is really the mainstream one for us in the west and the comparisons come down to two things: player urgency and shame.

If you look at the XIV subsection of MMO champion for example every so often you get a WoW die hard coming in and demanding to know "whats the point of X mechanic if it gives me no 'power' advantage over others?" and the reaction is usually "what are you chasing 'power' for?" from an audience more into a world with multiple choice options instead of the purple fever treadmill, different strokes and all that but the point is in the west our western heavy games and game audiences lean more to "I am here for me and if anyone else fucks up then thats MY time they are wasting" but in eastern designed mmos it tends to be "a party can only go as fast as its slowest member, so lets stop and see if we can solve their issue".
    Bare in mind I played WoW since late Vanilla and i just hit my 3rd year of FFXIV so i'm just using my most personal frames of reference here but in the west the increasing focus on "you play an mmo to make your guy more powerful" unfortunately leads to what some perceive as elitism but its really impatience and a self centered nature where you exist to facilitate their power creeping. That kind of person doesnt run into another on the same quest and think "hey we should group up that could be fun" but go "this assholes kill stealing MY qest mobs!" because its all about their own personal progression.

Eastern style games have their own problems, but they tend to be more technical in my experience eg grinds and in most games a lack of boss fight mechanic diversity but games where westerners are the foriegn element seems to have this "senpai is judging you, behave yourself" vibe where people will que, group up in the wilderness and work together because its still the point. A virtual world to explore and that means if you are a douchebag you get what the Amish call "put in the shun" and we english call "sending them to coventry" aka: if you are a massive asshole long enough, since everything is on one character with a job system instead of alts, your name becomes garbage and people outright ignore you are simply refuse to group with you, buy your items or even talk to you.

Maybe its a CRZ thing really. When the world doesnt matter and only the effervescent in and out instance experience does you are unlikely to see these meat puppets facilitating your own power creep so why care about them if they arent 'your people' from your own server.

God knows when CRZ first came around Frostwolf EU players gave the server a terrible reputation this way. Maybe thats the root cause? exacerbating whats already there in western online gaming because who cares if your characters rep is ruined for people you wont meet again on servers you dont play on?

Are you guys a bunch of pussies? I'd tell that RL/GM to fuck off and find himself another healer, no way I'm flasking up for a bunch of tards that I am only there to help. Why is this so hard?

I come from csgo mostly, and things are a lot more toxic there, but I find it funny. The amount of flame you get when you are clutching in csgo is funny to say the least You need to toughen up. Most of them just flame to bait a response.

I've been healing a lot as well, I let dps die if they just soak unnecessary damage for too long. Wow is the worst communities when it comes to people getting easily offended. Grow a pair and stick up. If you can't do this on the internet.. well

INFRACTION
    Last edited by Saracens; 2016-10-03 at 12:25 PM.

Most players in new games are helpful. Most players in old games are arrogant pricks. Reason: If you are new yourself, you also have many question and remember how you got lost or didn't understand something but 10 years later you heard the same shit 1000 times and there are 100+ guides and FAQs covering this stuff and you get impatient and forget how lost you where as a new players.

It's nothing that is unique to WoW, it's the same with all multiplayer games.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!