Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

How do you experience the class fantasy of Affliciton PvP?

Hey guys,

I was aiming to play an affliction warlock for PvP now in Legion, but three weeks out from Legion release I swapped to a disc priest because of lack of healers among my arena teams.

Now however, it might be getting time to start an alt (I know, I should've done it earlier for AK..) and am naturally thinking of my affliction lock.

However, I want your experience of being affliction in PvP (Mainly arenas). In the prepatch affliction was extremly tanky obviously, we all remember the tears from everyone else. Disregarding the OP-factor, it did give the sense that affliction might be a 'tanky-caster' again, which in my opinion is a rather unique class fantasy.

Is Affliction somewhat tanky at 110 in arenas? Or do you just feel like your mobility was taken but you were not given any survival as compensation for it? Do you go for a mobile spec and having to try to kite rather than being able to go defensive and just tank damage?

Looking at the shadow priest, which I've played, it's all a game of survival, trading CDs with your healer to stay alive until your ramp up is done at which point you can get some counter pressure. Is that how affliction plays somewhat? Like, is it all about struggling to survive while doing what you can to get damage out?

I hope my rambling above got my point across

TL;DR
    How does affliction feel in 2v2 and 3v3? Is it tanky? Or are you struggling to stay alive?

Stay with your shadowpriest.

Affliction is not good due to the nerfs. Demonology is the best pvp spec for locks right now and that one is even using a gimmick spec.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's straight up garbage. During pre patch damage was way undertuned and demon skin's passive absorb was able to reduce up to half of a single player's dmg which led to all the crying. After all the nerfs and the leveling process you've ended up with around 12k static absorb per sec. When the average melee has 100% uptime on you and can easily produce over 100k+ dps you can already see that mathematically blizzard's so called "tanky" caster cant tank for shit.

For reference, in the past soul link was a 20% passive damage reduction on all incoming dmg which meant if you had 2 melee pounding on you with 100k dps, each of them would be doing 80k or 160k combined after soul link. In Legion they will be doing 188k and of course you've also had most of your CC/mobility pruned even further.

Then you take a look at classes like fire mage that can have 16% passive physical dmg reduction with infinitely better mobility and CC than affliction. This just shows how trash the whole class design/dynamics are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Livevil View Post
    It's straight up garbage. During pre patch damage was way undertuned and demon skin's passive absorb was able to reduce up to half of a single player's dmg which led to all the crying. After all the nerfs and the leveling process you've ended up with around 12k static absorb per sec. When the average melee has 100% uptime on you and can easily produce over 100k+ dps you can already see that mathematically blizzard's so called "tanky" caster cant tank for shit.

For reference, in the past soul link was a 20% passive damage reduction on all incoming dmg which meant if you had 2 melee pounding on you with 100k dps, each of them would be doing 80k or 160k combined after soul link. In Legion they will be doing 188k and of course you've also had most of your CC/mobility pruned even further.

Then you take a look at classes like fire mage that can have 16% passive physical dmg reduction with infinitely better mobility and CC than affliction. This just shows how trash the whole class design/dynamics are.
    Yeah, this is my biggest beef with "tanky caster" at the moment. That, and the fact that most PvE mechanics shouldn't be tanked anyway, since they have secondary effects that will mess you up even if you survive (Stun, knockback, silence, damage reduction, group / raid damage, etc).