What's your opinion on Ask mr. Robot?

I've been using ask mr robot for quite some time and have been generally satisfied with it. However, recently I've wanted to min max more and more and I don't know how to feel about the stat weights that AMR has simulated. They are the following:

Int: 9.69
    Crit: 8.37
    Mastery: 5.75
    Versatility: 5.69
    Haste: 5.3

I tried searching around for other sources for the fire mage stat weights, but I can't find any other than the icy vein guide that has listed stat weights only for single target. Their stat weights:

Intellect: 1.00
    Critical Strike: 1.30
    Versatility: 0.84
    Haste: 0.81
    Mastery: 0.76

I allready realised that AMR is pretty useless for trinkets but I'd like your take on the rest.
    Also, anyone got a good set of stat weights?

Sim yourself and come up with your stat weights. There isn't on generc value that is correct for everyone. AMR is a tool and is only usefull if used well. A hammer is a great tool, but you wouldn't use it to eat breakfast.

- - - Updated - - -

Just in case you dont know many sites stat weights are based on people being in bis gear. Beyond that no site is going to have stat weights that are accurate for different grar sets, talent choices and boss fights.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

IMO their stat weights are fine. They have the priority correct.

Dont follow their trinket rankings though. They are still in the process of figuring that out, but from what I heard they should have a up to date list later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Sim yourself and come up with your stat weights. There isn't on generc value that is correct for everyone.
    what tools are used to 'sim yourself'?
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    IMO their stat weights are fine. They have the priority correct.

Dont follow their trinket rankings though. They are still in the process of figuring that out, but from what I heard they should have a up to date list later this week.
    weights and priorities are two completely different things. weights for two people can be vastly different to the point that one person following another persons weights will mean them putting on worse gear than if they used their own weights.

Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    weights and priorities are two completely different things. weights for two people can be vastly different to the point that one person following another persons weights will mean them putting on worse gear than if they used their own weights.
    Youre right, I meant priorities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    what tools are used to 'sim yourself'?
    Simulation craft is what you need.

My opinio. On ask mr robot as a long term subscriber is that its currently a bit ropey but still useful. I assume they are spreading their dev resources a bit thin at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love it.

AMR's base stat weights at the moment are:

Int 9.69
    Haste 8.37
    Crit 7
    Vers 5.79
    Mastery 4.76

Because I'm a massive troll, I inverted those weights and geared my character appropriately. I have 90.28% Mastery and 13.47% Crit.

I re-ran a simulation to regenerate my stat weights vs single target and got:

Int 6.2
    Haste 5.1
    Mastery 4.88
    Vers 4.5
    Crit 4.49

Hopefully I can devalue Haste more!
    Last edited by Firebert; 2016-10-05 at 05:17 PM.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Another thing about stat weights and how AMR works: a lot of sites/guides use normalized weights while AMR uses direct DPS weights. AMR always assumes DPS weights so when you do use SimC, etc, make sure to put in the non-normalized numbers.
    Mains:
    Paladin: Calphius
    Warlock: Caltorei
    Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion: destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.

It is a great starting guide, but anyone serious about DPS will sim their own character instead. Those weights for example are way off for my character. Legendary and talent choice will affect stat weights quite a bit.

So here is my experience with Mr. Robot.

1. Gear optimizer doesn't do a good job with trinkets. The trinkets that it recommends do worse then the ones you have equipped using their own simulator.
    2. The gear that it recommends (non-trinkets) do simulate better using their own simulator. HOWEVER, when using that same gear that AMR recommends when simmed through SimulationCraft results in lower DPS.

I sub. for their service just today and my judgement at this point is not to recommend this tool for those that are serious about DPS. Actually, I'm not sure why even the casual gamer would want to use this tool.

I understand the stat. priorities are different between AMR and SimCraft and that is one of the reasons why SimCraft results in lower DPS on gear recommended by AMR. BUT I argue then shouldn't AMR be using the same stat. priorties agreed upon by the class communities?

I see many furry warriors running around with the An'she's Invigoring Charm trinket which was recommended by AMR....

AMR is a tool. If you use a tool right it will work for you (math is math, it isn't going to lie). If you're putting the wrong things into it, it won't work. If you're leaving things default, it will be better than not using it, but not perfect. Always sim yourself.

Trinkets aren't all going to be perfect, but that's why AMR also has an editable simulator as well. So, you can sim for your stat weights, and you can sim for your trinkets too.

My experience with the tool is pointing at the fact that the recommendation of the gear and simulation of that recommended gear on my character gives contradicting results compared to other tools like SimCraft.

So one of the tools has to be lying. Draw your own conclusion which one you want to trust to perform in raids when every 0.01% performance counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Escapevelocity View Post
    My experience with the tool is pointing at the fact that the recommendation of the gear and simulation of that recommended gear on my character gives contradicting results compared to other tools like SimCraft.

So one of the tools has to be lying. Draw your own conclusion which one you want to trust to perform in raids when every 0.01% performance counts.
    Lets be honest. Sim C is wrong many, many times.

AMR started collecting raid data/parses from the combatlog and is plugging that information into its sims. They also get a lot of input from people that helped write the code for Sim C. It will be interesting to see what they come up with this week as this will be the first time that they use the information from the combatlog to create their trinket list.

You say that you subscribed for AMR. Then why did you miss the part where they said that trinket rankings were incomplete?

Which is better? Sim C or AMR. Who knows? for the most part both get some things right, both get some things wrong. If you want to see whats really going on. Go interpret Logs. Thats what AMR is starting to do, use actual logs. I will think in the near future AMR will start to be more correct than Sim C as Sim C doesnt have a system that looks actual combatlog data.

@Escapevelocity I'm from Ask Mr. Robot. I think what you want to do is sim your own gearing strategy on AMR. To do that, change the 'sim type' on the right of the sim setup page from 'single run' to 'gearing strategy.'

Our gearing strategy = stat weights (simply put).

However, we ALSO simulate every item that has a proc (trinkets, legendaries, relics, enchants, etc). And we bundle those simulations in with our 'stat weight' report. That allows us to use simulation data to rank all of those in the gear lists.

So if you are seeing different recommendations, it's likely you just need your own custom 'gearing strategy.'

Hope that info helps

Re: accuracy of AMR. We test, and then retest, and then test some more, for every spec. We compare all ability data from databases to actual in-game tests. Like @Xirrohon was saying, we also compared all trinket proc information to logs, as another way to verify the data. For example, we found that the Twisting Wind trinket (which procs cyclones at the target location, that tick 10 times)... we found based on logs that for easy-to-hit bosses, the cyclones got 9-10 ticks off. On harder bosses, it would get 6-8 ticks off. So we were able to adjust the trinket to assume an average of 8 ticks. This isn't something that's in the item data.

Anyway, we are incredibly thorough. Testing isn't fun, but we do it because we take pride in our product and really want to make sure you all have a reliable simulator that you trust. And if you ever find a bug, let me know. We fix then in 24 hours.
    Ask Mr. Robot Human Minion

Those weights are also biased towards a singular fight type. If you want weights, you need to sim things yourself, especially for your gear. I have multiple pawn strings based on my current weights for different scenarios (pure ST, consistent cleave, frequent adds, etc).