Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

France wants Russia on war crimes charges

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37611151

French President Francois Hollande has suggested Russia could face war crimes charges over its bombardment of Syria's second city Aleppo.

Mr Hollande told French TV this could take place in the International Criminal Court (ICC).

He also said he might refuse to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is due to visit France next week.

Last week Russia vetoed a Franco-Spanish UN Security Council resolution calling for an end to the bombing.

Moscow has repeatedly denied attacking civilians, and said it targets terrorist groups in Syria.

Neither Russia nor Syria is a member of the International Criminal Court.

"These are people who today are the victims of war crimes. Those that commit these acts will have to face up to their responsibility, including in the ICC," Mr Hollande told TMC.

"If I do receive him [Mr Putin], I will tell him that it is unacceptable. It could also seriously affect Russia's image," the French president added.

Mr Hollande's call for Russia to be prosecuted came as Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said France was working to find a way for the ICC prosecutor to launch an investigation into attacks on rebel-held eastern Aleppo.

Last week US Secretary of State John Kerry also called for war crimes charges, saying Russian and Syrian government attacks on hospitals were "beyond the accidental" and part of a deliberate strategy.
    while I agree Putin and Assad should be tried for warcrimes; do you think anything will come of this?

Amnesty report on Russia and Syria indiscriminate bombing and purposefully targeting hospitals:

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...rategy-of-war/
    Last edited by Baneth; 2016-10-10 at 10:49 PM.

Whatever France...

All a part of pushing Russia back into it's 'rightful place' so US/Western Europe can decide how everything is done. Let's never forget the endgame here.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    All a part of pushing Russia back into it's 'rightful place' so US/Western Europe can decide how everything is done. Let's never forget the endgame here.
    so any thoughts or comments on the indiscriminate bombing of Aleppo and the intentional targeting of hospitals, resulting in the death of hundreds of civilians over a single weekend? Both of which amount to warcrimes.

Quote Originally Posted by boomgoesthedynamite View Post
    so any thoughts or comments on the indiscriminate bombing of Aleppo and the intentional targeting of hospitals, resulting in the death of hundreds of civilians over a single weekend? Both of which amount to warcrimes.
    Clearly the russian bombs are just on vacation.

Wait, so France is NOT surrendering?

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Annoying; 2016-10-13 at 03:22 PM.

Just poke France the wrong way and the surrender flag will go up.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Annoying; 2016-10-13 at 03:23 PM.

Looks like the Cold War is back, that will make the military industrial complex happy with military spending going up.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Is there a source on the intentional targetting of hospitals? Also, is it sure said hospitals were not used by ISIS, rebels, whatever, as a base of operations? And while we're at it, any comments on the MSF hospital the US leveled a year ago? Or the aproximatly million people the US killed in Afghanistan and Iraq? For nothing, mind you.

I don't want to point fingers. The region down there is a mess. It sucks, for everybody. But speaking of crimes is a really bad idea. I don't see Russia calling out France's illegal Airstrikes. Or the US's. Neither does the Syrian Gouvernment. Hollande is just posturing, as usual. Playing outraged. The West should russia just do their thing. There isn't anything they can do against it anyway. It's nbot optimal, but it would be nice, for once, to not having NATO troops in that mess. If everybody stopped poking and prodding at the carcass that Syria is now, the sooner it can start healing. Right now, France isn't helping. At least with russia you can make the argument that they are. A little.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2016-10-10 at 10:44 PM.

Or Europe and USA could stop their continued support of Al-Quaeda over there... sorry I mean "Al Nusra" as they've been rebranded now... and actually try and agree to a solution that won't result in the country being another quagmire of warring factions for the next decades.

Despite how bad he is, Assad is the rightful leader and Russia has been requested to aid there.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2016-10-10 at 10:44 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Is there a source on the intentional targetting of hospitals? Also, is it sure said hospitals were not used by ISIS, rebels, whatever, as a base of operations? And while we're at it, any comments on the MSF hospital the US leveled a year ago? Or the aproximatly million people the US killed in Afghanistan and Iraq? For nothing, mind you.

I don't want to point fingers. The region down there is a mess. It sucks, for everybody. But speaking of crimes is a really bad idea. I don't see Russia calling out France's illegal Airstrikes. Or the US's. Neither does the Syrian Gouvernment. Hollande is just posturing, as usual. Playing outraged.
    source for intentional hospital targeting by amnesty:
    https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...rategy-of-war/

on the MSF topic: iv'e already said, that when that happened last year, those responsible should be held accountable.

Bush should be tried for war crimes. However, that has nothing to do with this topic.

If there's one word we can use to describe what Russia and Syria have done via bombing it certainly isn't indiscriminate. From all the saber rattling being done you could say they've done exactly what they wanted to do and exactly what the West didn't want them to do.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

What is France going to do, throw a baggette at them?

Considering far more people have died in military adventurism in Iraq and Afghanistan with no nation being brought up on charges, this smacks of a hollow political ploy.

Funny how Western or pro-Western nations never seem to get taken to the ICC.

LMAO they are mad that Russia, Turkey, China and Iran are going to solve problems in the ME.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, this is gonna be fun! *grabs popcorn* And always remember, kids! Any civilian casualty caused by the US, accident or not, outweighs 10 deliberately targeted hospitals!

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    LMAO they are mad that Russia, Turkey, China and Iran are going to solve problems in the ME.
    Of course! A dead, displaced, or oppressed populace can hardly cause any problems! Or can they?

Seems like everyone is guilty of war crimes nowadays. Bush killed 8000 civilians with his 'shock and awe' bombing campaign, that effectively served no purpose beyond blowing the hell out of Iraqi infrastructure so that the US government could funnel massive amounts of taxpayer dollars into the coffers of the contractors assigned to 'rebuild' Iraq. Barack Obama has killed thousands of civilians with his drone program alone. Hillary Clinton made it a priority to sell over $30 billion in weapons to Saudi Arabia, and in the video above you can see how they are using them in Yemen now, through a bombing campaign in which more than 80% of the victims are civilians because they commit blatant war crimes like targeting mass public gatherings.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Or Europe and USA could stop their continued support of Al-Quaeda over there... sorry I mean "Al Nusra" as they've been rebranded now... and actually try and agree to a solution that won't result in the country being another quagmire of warring factions for the next decades.

Despite how bad he is, Assad is the rightful leader and Russia has been requested to aid there.
    Yeah seriously. If we wouldn't have butted in by arming and assisting rebels, the Syrian government and Russia might have been able to end the fighting by now. I realize Assad is a horrible piece of shit, but anyone that thinks an Al Quaeda affiliate group isn't also horrible is seriously delusional.

Ok, let's say Russia is charged. What next? They will pay money? They will apologize? Lol more sanctions? Russia doesn't give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Oh, this is gonna be fun! *grabs popcorn* And always remember, kids! Any civilian casualty caused by the US, accident or not, outweighs 10 deliberately targeted hospitals!
    Two wrongs don't make a right.