10+ Year Old Account

Something different.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

How I missed Lord Fifth.

“One-on-one duel? Yeah right, b*tch! Lord Fifth always wins by outnumbering the enemy. Who’s gonna duel you, b*tch! How could you be so naive?” The parrot squawked as it charged once again in attack.

10+ Year Old Account
    MGA: Chapter 1050 – Peaceful Interaction

fucking lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    MGA: Chapter 1050 – Peaceful Interaction

fucking lol
    I'm almost up to that chapter, how many are out atm?

- - - Updated - - -

Of course better girl gets the not-dead console
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    I'm almost up to that chapter, how many are out atm?
    That's the current chapter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    That's the current chapter.
    Nice I'll probably finish that tonight, and start catching up to ISSTH again
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Holy shit... this never happens...

A Silent Voice Among Leeds Anime Screenings
    Literally showing on my birthday. Now it's either get absolutely shitfaced or go watch Koe no Katachi...
    You can always get shitfaced after watching the movie?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    You can always get shitfaced after watching the movie?
    beat me to the "why not both"
    [CENTER]

I'll be busy mopping my tears up and nursing my heart lol
    Best time to be drinking then

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Literally showing on my birthday. Now it's either get absolutely shitfaced or go watch Koe no Katachi...
    Simple: you get shitfaced then go watch the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    beat me to the "why not both"
    Your avatar is highly questionable, my friend.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    i'm excited for the eventual fan content of the new witch mercy

the ow community is so good at making gifs and art of my favourite overwatch characters

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    The thing that pisses me off about that is there is no way to have what she is doing on the main menu in game.

Finished Psycho-Pass again last night. It didn't dramatically change my opinion of it, but just reinforced what I thought the first time around. When it sticks to its characters, its plot, and the implications of the society they live in the series is stellar.

However, it is not content to do this and must instead attempt to be even more 'profound'. The problem is that it once again falls prey to that peculiar style of Japanese mix-and-match which I have yet to entirely figure out. The Japanese just seem to be so...oddly intellectually porous. It's like they sop up any idea that happens to be spilled and then wring them all out at once in a strange new cocktail. The elements are recognizable, but somehow the context has been lost. Quotes from Plato inserted into random moments, side by side with banal references to Gulliver's Travels...as though they are on the same level or standing. You could remove every reference from the series and it would be better for it.

This brings me to the other element, and that is its total lack of subtlety when attempting to express ideas. While there are a few elements that I can appreciate, such as how the assembly line case mirrors the greater tension in the society, most of them are brought to our attention with the delicacy of a sledgehammer. The last scene in particular stood out. It is a mirror of the first scene in nearly every element. I like the premise: replacing Ginzo with Tsunemori and highlighting their differences. It is a fitting ending to the series, and in concept very apt. However, that they felt the need to replicate EVERY aspect of the opening scene with the later one is ridiculous: the same lines, the same weather, the same setting...everything is the same just in case we missed what they were trying to do.

I also have to say that this time around I was also made more aware of how they front-loaded the shock value of the series. After you get past the first few cases the emphasis on explosive deaths and brutal imagery is dramatically reduced. While it does serve some purpose, and I appreciate their choice of camera angles to avoid direct view of most situations, it is a bit gratuitous and struck me as childish.

Anyway, it sounds like I'm condemning the series and I'm not. As I started off, my high opinion of the series didn't really change because I think what it does do well it does very well. It just brings into higher contrast what I feel stood out as weaker aspects.

p.s. Makashima being able to go toe-to-toe with Kogami is...silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there still no English licensing for Koe no Katachi and the Shinkai film?
    Last edited by Neichus; 2016-10-12 at 12:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Is there still no English licensing for Koe no Katachi and the Shinkai film?
    They're both still in theaters so it'll be a while for BDs, unless you mean an English run, which I don't think so. It generally only happens for films of established franchises or big names like Hosada's films. Though Koe and Your Name are both very popular, so maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Finished Psycho-Pass again last night. It didn't dramatically change my opinion of it, but just reinforced what I thought the first time around. When it sticks to its characters, its plot, and the implications of the society they live in the series is stellar.

However, it is not content to do this and must instead attempt to be even more 'profound'. The problem is that it once again falls prey to that peculiar style of Japanese mix-and-match which I have yet to entirely figure out. The Japanese just seem to be so...oddly intellectually porous. It's like they sop up any idea that happens to be spilled and then wring them all out at once in a strange new cocktail. The elements are recognizable, but somehow the context has been lost. Quotes from Plato inserted into random moments, side by side with banal references to Gulliver's Travels...as though they are on the same level or standing. You could remove every reference from the series and it would be better for it.

This brings me to the other element, and that is its total lack of subtlety when attempting to express ideas. While there are a few elements that I can appreciate, such as how the assembly line case mirrors the greater tension in the society, most of them are brought to our attention with the delicacy of a sledgehammer. The last scene in particular stood out. It is a mirror of the first scene in nearly every element. I like the premise: replacing Ginzo with Tsunemori and highlighting their differences. It is a fitting ending to the series, and in concept very apt. However, that they felt the need to replicate EVERY aspect of the opening scene with the later one is ridiculous: the same lines, the same weather, the same setting...everything is the same just in case we missed what they were trying to do.
    I think that this scene from Inou-Battle still sums all those things up perfectly:

Even if she doesn't directly reference the philosophers tossed into Psycho-Pass, it really is an odd part of manga/anime, that I've never really gotten my head around. I can appreciate the references and quotes for the most part, but, they really do just kind of toss in things they've probably read a bit about and thought were cool.

I've read a large number of manga that do this and some what annoyingly, Mamoru Oshii, who is one of my favourite directors, really goes all in on this trope. When he sticks to a singular concept and actually fleshes it out, such as with Jin-Roh and Ghost in the Shell, I find it works really well. However, in Patlabor 2 and Innocence (Ghost in the Shell 2), he goes completely overboard on references and is almost just reeling off philosophers he's read, who vaguely have something to do with the situations or concepts at hand.

It often comes off as little more than a circle-jerk for people who've read into philosophy, but as you note, has little to no impact, or reason to be stated in the middle of a show/movie. A lot of darker, edgier and generally self-regarded 'intellectual' anime tend to do this, almost relentlessly. I really do wonder sometimes if there's a deeper reasoning behind the usage, or if it is just because it sounds 'cool'.

Either way, it doesn't make me hate their works, as you say, it just adds an odd, nonsensical air to proceedings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    It often comes off as little more than a circle-jerk for people who've read into philosophy, but as you note, has little to no impact, or reason to be stated in the middle of a show/movie. A lot of darker, edgier and generally self-regarded 'intellectual' anime tend to do this, almost relentlessly. I really do wonder sometimes if there's a deeper reasoning behind the usage, or if it is just because it sounds 'cool'.
    Bolded is pretty much it. People who have studied philosophy have an attention-seeking compulsion to share that they did so.

Really enjoyed the first episode of Drifters; good blend of action, blood, and comedy. I think you probably need to have a decent grasp on Japanese history to enjoy this, though.