Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    There are different game modes,

Quick Play - You play for fun. You can pick what ever class and just practise or goof around. Sure you can try to win but you should never get upset in this game mode if your team is underperforming.

Competitive - A SERIOUS game mode. Here, there is ONE objective and one objective only. To WIN. No matter what. Fun or not. Here, you are 100% dedicated to the game, and take it serious, like it's your job or anything else you also value very high in your real life.

If you don't care to win or want to have fun, for the love of god, stay out of competitive. It's not meant for fun, it's meant to push ranks and win.
    You can be competitive without being a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Umm, isn't it both?

Why would you "play" something in your free time if it's not about fun?
    I think he means that "fun" in competetive is making grand plays or winning, "fun" in quick play is goofing around with weird tactics or something else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    You can be competitive without being a dick.
    Of ocurse but if you're a dick in competetive (i.e. ruining the game by goofing around) expect people being dicks to you in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Kits View Post
    Does anyone else really hate this phrase? Every single time I have seen it said in this game it is always someone that is performing really bad.

It's just a game.

Yeah, so is that some kind of excuse to not put your best into it? Do they not realize that they are wasting other peoples time? If they had done the same when playing football with friends in school, perform bad and then say "It's just a game" then they probably wouldn't be allowed to join them any more after that.
    Honestly, I think they need a quick play mode with no hero stacking. There are sometimes that I want to just mess around or blow off some steam with a new hero, but going into quick play is obnoxious. Just because I want to play less seriously than I would in competitive doesn't mean that I want to join a game that feels completely broken. The game plays so much better without hero stacking (almost two completely different games). Quick play is the epitome of "it's just a game" and I would really like to play casually sometimes without feeling like I'm being forced to play a broken game.

That said, I agree. It's a stupid phrase and a stupid mindset for competitive, and I do not do that. I just want to be able to have a more casual gaming experience without feeling like nothing I do will matter anyway because everyone is stacking heroes and running around with their wangs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Don't be so ignorant, it's really an ugly characteristic. I've already written a whole ton in this thread. It's there, black on white, succint good quality insights. How often am I supposed to repeat it? If that doesn't help you, you can't be helped. It's really quite ignorant, and arrogant, to stand there like a sheep and in all seriousness claim that someone doesn't "offer real points" just because you're too lazy to wrap your head around them, or they aren't the points your self-centered personality wants to hear.
    ~Eh, where's the "like" button.

Tip: Anyone who wants to claim they are "serious" about .. well, anything, but in this case Overwatch won't be running into anyone like this because they will play in a group of 6 every game. That or they don't, in fact, take this seriously at all, they just enjoy being an asshole to people.

"I take this seriously but meet all these trolls in solo-queue" is a paradox, mmkay
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    "I take this seriously but meet all these trolls in solo-queue" is a paradox, mmkay
    I'd say korean soloqueue in lol disagrees. Even if I would queue with a full lobby (which I never do anymore ) it doesn't say anywhere fill up with retards btw.

Deleted
    ~Eh, where's the "like" button.

Tip: Anyone who wants to claim they are "serious" about .. well, anything, but in this case Overwatch won't be running into anyone like this because they will play in a group of 6 every game. That or they don't, in fact, take this seriously at all, they just enjoy being an asshole to people.

I am serious about playing OVerwatch but I do not know 6 people that I can invite to play with me. I have one friend who plays the game and we usually play together when she's up for playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Kits View Post
    I am serious about playing OVerwatch but I do not know 6 people that I can invite to play with me. I have one friend who plays the game and we usually play together when she's up for playing.
    So you've been serious about overwatch for a few hours? Get real, it's just a hobby for you. If you were serious you would have plenty of people to play with enough so that there were at least 6 people with whom to play whenever you are online. Hell I'm super casual I've still added about 20 new names to my friends list from OW alone, to add to the many from Heroes, Hearthstone, Diablo and World of Warcraft.

This is a lot of the issue with online gaming (this isn't directed at you personally in the slightest), it isn't Dunning Kruger but smells like it. People think they are either better than they are or are putting more effort in than they are; and expect an experience to reflect this when in fact they are doing bare minimum and moaning about their results. Case in point: People who bitch that the team needs a healer but won't themselves swap to healer. They think they are somehow superior for realising the teams failings are from the poor composition but aren't prepared to do anythin about it beyond tell others what they should do. Which in terms of results is often less useful than saying nothing at all; depending on how it is expressed.

Like I say, this isn't aimed at you at all, I don't know anything about your gaming other than you don't take it very seriously (which is a good thing, there are things like mortgages and careers that are arguably worth taking seriously, not video games, unless the two overlap ); just it's typical behaviour.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

This is a lot of the issue with online gaming (this isn't directed at you personally in the slightest), it isn't Dunning Kruger but smells like it. People think they are either better than they are or are putting more effort in than they are; and expect an experience to reflect this when in fact they are doing bare minimum and moaning about their results. Case in point: People who bitch that the team needs a healer but won't themselves swap to healer. They think they are somehow superior for realising the teams failings are from the poor composition but aren't prepared to do anythin about it beyond tell others what they should do. Which in terms of results is often less useful than saying nothing at all; depending on how it is expressed.

Like I say, this isn't aimed at you at all, I don't know anything about your gaming other than you don't take it very seriously (which is a good thing, there are things like mortgages and careers that are arguably worth taking seriously, not video games, unless the two overlap ); just it's typical behaviour.
    So people that "bitch" about retards/trolls are the ones that aren't flexible?
    Funny how I in season 1 got 9h zarya, 3h mercy, 2h road, 2h lucio, 50m D.va, 40m Ana, 20m Rein - the rest were <5min.
    In season 2 I've played 2h mercy, 1h rein, 1h road, 1h ana, 1h zarya, 45m lucio and haven't even entered the game with most others.

Oh, right - I can't play every role there is at once...

"there are things like mortgages and careers that are arguably worth taking seriously, not video games"

Okay, so anything less important than mortgages and careers aren't worth minding at all. Who cares if your tv breaks...it's not like it's a mortgage or your career haha!

If you like.

Deleted
    So you've been serious about overwatch for a few hours? Get real, it's just a hobby for you. If you were serious you would have plenty of people to play with enough so that there were at least 6 people with whom to play whenever you are online. Hell I'm super casual I've still added about 20 new names to my friends list from OW alone, to add to the many from Heroes, Hearthstone, Diablo and World of Warcraft.
    I don't add random people to my battle.net. I only have real life friends on it and that's the way it will always be. If I'd add random people I met in Overwatch they wouldn't be able to understand me or my friends when we're playing anyways.

Few hours is an understatement as I've played about 500 hours by now. If you want to pull the "It's just a game" then get the fuck out of competetive. Signing up for competetive and not giving a fuck is like going to some local football tournament with no monetary rewards and signing up and then yelling at everyone to chill because it's just a game when they're making their team lose and people get pissed at them. It doesn't matter that there's no reward, you are ruining other peoples fun by playing bad and then going "It's just a game" when those other people are playing to win.

Just 30 minutes ago or so we had some guy who picked symmetra, put the teleporter right outside the spawn room and started going "It's just a game, you don't have to get so mad" when people got pissed.
    Last edited by mmoc1afe70b5e4; 2016-10-12 at 02:33 AM.

I don't know how amateur sports are handled wherever you're from but that attitude would last about 5 minutes into the game before you'd be removed and for the obvious reasons you seem to have ommited in your crappy analogy.

You want to pretend you're taking Overwatch seriously while at the same time having no "LFG" post (by all means prove me wrong and link it) or a refusal to add peoples battletags to your friends list unless you know them in real life belies the fact that you are in fact, just a casual like the rest of us; albeit one that gets unecessarily worked up over his hobby.

By all means keep getting stressed over it, it's your life

Deleted
    I don't know how amateur sports are handled wherever you're from but that attitude would last about 5 minutes into the game before you'd be removed and for the obvious reasons you seem to have ommited in your crappy analogy.

You want to pretend you're taking Overwatch seriously while at the same time having no "LFG" post (by all means prove me wrong and link it) or a refusal to add peoples battletags to your friends list unless you know them in real life belies the fact that you are in fact, just a casual like the rest of us; albeit one that gets unecessarily worked up over his hobby.

By all means keep getting stressed over it, it's your life
    Do you not know what taking it serious means?

It means not fucking around to ruin the game for others who are playing.

It means doing your best to win. There's quickplay if you do not want to do your best to win, stay out of competetive and stick to quickplay if you're not going to do your best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    No. I'm not "proving" anything for you, you're just flat out wrong and made a horrible comparison. It's not "just a game" at all, it's a business first and foremost.

It would be more apt if we were talking about some E-Sports organization or something and tried to draw some comparisons, but we're not. We're talking about random pug pick up games online, which really are "just games" and have no bearing on anything.
    The NFL is not the super bowl. The super bowl is.....wait for it.....just a game. A very important game to some, but just a game. The super bowl is not a business. The NFL is. Sorry....this L is yours.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I don't see how "retarded" it is. Because after everything else, those things are just silly games. Some of the players can take it seriously I guess, but they're not really important things. Nothing changes in any of their lives based on the outcome.

I mean, I hate losing in most anything, but I recognize that as a silly mental weakness that I have. Not an indication of how super serious every little thing is.

That's an incredibly naive statement. Money IS usually what brings out the best competitors.

- - - Updated - - -

What? So you never have a bad match? Ok, bro.
    I see you're not interested in having an intelligent conversation on the matter. You're just using a narrow as hell view of the topic and saying that everyone is wrong because they don't look at the world through a toilet paper roll. You're wrong. So very wrong. And that probably stems from you being terrible at games (sports included), so you're one of those people that use the excuse "It's just a game, I have better things to do than be competent at something."

You know what's just a game?

Quick Play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad to say that the quality of Competitive play is so low that it needs a serious fix.

Either have people PAY to queue it, OR get real life money or other BIG rewards for winning.

The noobs in Competitive and the ones with the "it's just a game" mentality completly killed the game for me.

Deleted
    The problem with Overwatch is, that it's nearly impossible to carry a team as one person.

Every class has at least one stupidly easy hard counter which negates 80% of skill. If the enemy is able to identify the good player(s) in your team, they can easily counter him/them and then take care of the other baddies.

Teamplay and synergies are ridiculously important.

10+ Year Old Account
    ES Sperts, is juz game.

Deleted
    What you need to know is more or less all here.

OW is a game. So yeah, it's just a game. People tend to get pissed off a lot for small stuff if it hits their nerves.

However, before i get the flames: anyone plays a game for reasons. One may just chill out and burn some free time with next to zero dedication and expectations up to the guy who craves challenge and competition.

Usually if players are interested in the "story" they don't care much about game settings and just run a playthrough, while people looking for challenge go straight to the hardest setting (maybe not even caring about the game lore/plot).

OW has Quick Play and Competitive.

QP is just what the name says: games with random teams and heroes that have no repercussion whatsoever but the smaller amount of XP you get for a loss and leveling is basically related only to cosmetic stuff. Brawls are QP under predetermined limitations, but that's it.

Competitive is where people craving for challenge prove against each other with the objective of gaining ranks and get better rewards at the season end. The whole point of Competitive are ranks and golden weapons, without them oit would be QP with the 1-hero limit.

To me it's just this simple. If you (generic "you") don't care about ranks, you won't be putting as much effort in winning as other players. Because you don't care as much as the others. And if you don't care about ranks (which is perfectly fine) then i'm asking why you're playing competitive at all. If you want golden weapons, they're gated behind a good number of wins, which requires dedication and the less skill you have the more time it takes. If you don't care about ranks, it's unlikely you're going to get one as low ranks (under 2k) are hell to play. People around talk about 2400 being somewhat an extreme turning point.

If you play for chilling out, QP is there for you - no committment, enjoying time and usually way more balanced games (at least from my experience but i have only played in elohell to the point i lost all interest in it).

The problem is not OW being a game. The problem is "you" entering a mode which is not suited for your needs. If you don't care/don't like the challenge, you don't set a game in "hard mode" and then blame it for being too difficult.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctim View Post
    The problem with Overwatch is, that it's nearly impossible to carry a team as one person.
    That's not a "problem". That's a team game functioning well. A single good football player isn't going to carry an entire match by themselves, either, for the same reason.

If one player can carry the entire match, that's a flaw, not a boon.

Every class has at least one stupidly easy hard counter which negates 80% of skill. If the enemy is able to identify the good player(s) in your team, they can easily counter him/them and then take care of the other baddies.
    This just straight up isn't true. Those "hard counters" aren't "hard", at all. They're mostly either avoidable or can be mitigated. If you're getting hit with them and killed, you screwed up. You didn't realize Reaper probably had a full ult and was trying to get above/behind you. You didn't scatter the moment you heard that it's high noon, and didn't know where McCree was when he started it.

This means you got outplayed. It's not "negating 80% of skill", it's them outplaying you and your team. Particularly as you have just as much access to ults as your enemies.

Teamplay and synergies are ridiculously important.
    Which is a good thing.

That's completely nonsensical. You don't say that an event that a business holds isn't part of the business, especially when it's a huge part of the function of that business.
    Most of us are using that example to show how many people connect enough to "games" to make them more than "just a game", y'know. The entire point was that games aren't "just games". That you can apply "it's just a game" to the Superbowl, and that's a ridiculous claim because of how important that game is.

You seem to be missing the point.