Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Documentary: Why are thin people not fat?

One of the best documentaries I've seen on individuals who struggle to gain weight (as well as some interesting useful information about why some people might gain weight).

I had read somewhere that illness/viruses could cause obesity, it was interesting to hear a scientist talk about this subject in some detail.

10+ Year Old Account
    tl;dw Your body gets used to being a certain weight and fights against gain/loss, for those trying to put on weight your body starts doing things like fidgeting to use up excess calories.

Why are short people not tall?
    Why is the blue sky not brown?
    Why is a question not an answer?
    Will we ever know the unknowable?

Yes I remember watching that. Anyone will gain weight if you overfeed garbge to them. There was nothing special about those kids. They don't have a fast "metabolism". I actually had my resting metabolism tested and it came in maybe 300-400 calories above average but nothing that would allow me to eat 5k+ calories per day with no weight gain. Fact of the matter is that some people just listen to their body really well. If they are full they put that 2nd cookie down and don't think about it.

When I started eating right again I lost over 30 pounds without counting calories. I still have cheat days/meals. I just eat until I'm satisfied. If you give your body healthy food it needs your body will TELL YOU when you are full. You do not have to count calories its a horrible way to lose weight or track yourself unless your a pro bodybuilder. Just listen to your body and it will take care of the rest. I would suggest watching The calorie myth on youtube. Like first result that comes up. I didn't realize I was basically following that idea until I watched the video
    Last edited by avx81; 2016-10-12 at 05:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like outlaw fat people from breeding and the problem will go away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    - Hormones.
    - Wavelenght Refraction.
    - Punctuation.
    - Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Documentary says that 80% of the population has a genetic predisposition towards weight gain, so I guess we're killing off 80% off the population then.

Quote Originally Posted by avx81 View Post
    Yes I remember watching that. Anyone will gain weight if you overfeed garbge to them. There was nothing special about those kids. They don't have a fast "metabolism". I actually had my resting metabolism tested and it came in maybe 300-400 calories above average but nothing that would allow me to eat 5k+ calories per day with no weight gain. Fact of the matter is that some people just listen to their body really well. If they are full they put that 2nd cookie down and don't think about it.

When I started eating right again I lost over 30 pounds without counting calories. I still have cheat days/meals. I just eat until I'm satisfied. If you give your body healthy food it needs your body will TELL YOU when you are full. You do not have to count calories its a horrible way to lose weight or track yourself unless your a pro bodybuilder. Just listen to your body and it will take care of the rest. I would suggest watching The calorie myth on youtube. Like first result that comes up. I didn't realize I was basically following that idea until I watched the video
    I can easily feel hungry way past my caloric intake. So, me listening to my stomach would be a terrible idea.

Edit. Somewhat case in point today. I'm at 2300 since I had candies today, and stomach seems happy. It's however 400-500 past what I should eat.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2016-10-12 at 05:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    The issue is with overweight kids, their bodies get used to being fat and they tend to stay fat.

So to stop obesity we need to euthanise chubby children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

One of the best documentaries I've seen on individuals who struggle to gain weight (as well as some interesting useful information about why some people might gain weight).

I had read somewhere that illness/viruses could cause obesity, it was interesting to hear a scientist talk about this subject in some detail.
    People can be thin and be fat on the inside. It isn't just fat people dying from Heart Disease in America, thin people are consuming the same trash as fat people. Some people are just more genetically disposed to gain the weight. Your arteries will tell the story.

Deleted
    The most important thing is, if you have a stable ego you will neither gain or lose anything if you change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by avx81 View Post

I wonder if it is more than that, like the documentary showed the kids reaching for the plate of treats (even if they said they were full) were very young (3-4 years old?) and most of them were not heavy.

I bet most people listen to their bodies well, it's just that some people's bodies encourage storing fat for survival purposes. It's to our evolutionary advantage to reach for that 2nd and 3rd cookie, it's just now we live in a sedentary society without periods of famine, so it accumulates instead of being used up.

Point of linking the documentary was more for those, "oh I can eat whatever I want and not get fat" types. I used to think I was one of those types, but I realized that I am simply more active than many (possibly most) other people (also the other reasons mentioned in the video).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    People can be thin and be fat on the inside. It isn't just fat people dying from Heart Disease in America, thin people are consuming the same trash as fat people. Some people are just more genetically disposed to gain the weight. Your arteries will tell the story.
    Yes, I have a grandfather who is 5'8, never weighed more than 140 lbs his entire adult life and has had a nearly lifelong struggle with heart disease and type II diabetes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't see the video for some reason but does it address people who can't gain weight? I seriously have not gained any weight in 23 years. I hit 175 and I occasionally drop back to 170 but it never goes ahead of 175 no matter what I eat or do. All physical examinations have shown me to be in near-perfect health too.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Documentary says that 80% of the population has a genetic predisposition towards weight gain, so I guess we're killing off 80% off the population then.
    Pretty sure there's no actual science supporting that.

Fat people get fat because they overeat. There are no viruses that violate the laws of physics nor any condition that causes people to magically gain 20 lbs from eating a brownie. It's all excuses, fatlogic, and desperately insecure people looking for excuses to shift the blame from their own shitty choices and put it on something easy to scapegoat.

If you eat excessive calories without exercise, you get fat. Pure and simple. Why we continue to allow such fraudulent and outright wrong information to perpetuate is beyond me. It's no different than the anti-vaxxers; fat people seize on any little thing that might suggest remotely they are not at fault for their own state of being and use that as the standard by which all fat people exist, when in fact, none of it is true.

It isn't fatphobia at work here, its factphobia and people's desperate attempt to feel normal when they should feel ashamed of their gluttony and narcissism.

Why are black people not white? Why is up not down? Why is why why?
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Quote Originally Posted by NicoWolf View Post
    Pretty sure there's no actual science supporting that.
    There is an actual scientist in the actual video who says that.

This thread is about the video, which by the way wasn't about obesity as it was about those who struggle to gain weight. You clearly didn't watch the video, based on the content of your post, and went on a bitchy rant against fat people.

Thank you for your ill-informed input, however.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    These posts don't add to the discussion and have been reported as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    1. They are. Space unicorns gave us wrong color codes
    2. It is in space.
    3. Uhhm.. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Celista

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/obes...chicken-virus/

My mother-in-law is a nurse... a lactation consultant (she gets to play with boobies all day long... I tell her she has the coolest job on the planet).

She has recently taken up an interest in nutrition with zeal.

I am constantly getting "fed" propaganda regarding a vegan diet, preferably an organic vegan diet.
    HOW NOT TO DIE

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...documentaries/
    I've sat through
    Food, Inc
    Forks over knives
    supersize me
    Fat, sick and nearly dead

I would say that 2/3 of my meals are mostly vegan. I have a "healthy" understanding of what it means to be vegan and the benefits of a plant-based diet. I'm not ready to die for the cause and I haven't given up meat and cheese entirely either. But i definitely feel better, have lost weight, and have more energy.

im 6' 1"
    never once exceeded 205 lbs
    usually stay around 185-200 lbs

i've also maintained the same dietary habits, physical exercise for the past 10 years for the most part

i could get fat if i really wanted to, but i don't think i could be a person who "does not realize that i weigh 300 lbs"

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I can easily feel hungry way past my caloric intake. So, me listening to my stomach would be a terrible idea.

Edit. Somewhat case in point today. I'm at 2300 since I had candies today, and stomach seems happy. It's however 400-500 past what I should eat.
    This is basically what every person I know who has a weight gain or loss issue has said, one way or another. For people who struggle to gain weight, eating a normal amount of food can make them feel overly stuffed/sick..they're simply not hungry.

One professor I had in undergrad told me once that if she ate until she was satisfied (not full), she'd be 400 lbs. She was a very normal weight, but she said she was hungry literally all the time.