Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Because of demographics, how many black female college students choose to major in STEM fields vs. non-STEM fields?
    don't know, don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Concequence View Post
    I feel like this lady really is more into the crunchy hippy cult "science"... and less into real facts. So I am less prone to believe in her crusade... but in the right persons hands her concept could prove useful to humanity.
    Yeah totally, forgetting all the progress we've made and regressing to where we know nothing sounds very useful to humanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Yeah totally, forgetting all the progress we've made and regressing to where we know nothing sounds very useful to humanity.
    I think what she is trying to say is that the west have their own way of interpreting natural phenomenon (like Gravity) and the culture she comes from have their own way of interpreting the same. The two explanations might be contradictory and so the west has no business imposing their "science" on top of their beliefs. So, science needs to be "decolonized" so each culture can find their own way of explaining the same natural phenomenon in their own way.

This is a very bizarre way of thinking. I think this comes from being colonized and ostracized by the west for years and thus rejecting anything (including science) which might be "western".

I am going to counter her by saying that Science really doesn't belong to anyone - including the west. E.g. the number system the west adopted for "science" is Arabic. It is true that cultures and society which are more politically and financially influential will impose their versions of "science" and reject scientific explanations from less politically powerful countries.

Case in point: Hideki Yukawa proposed the concept on Mesons back in 1935 in Japan; but it was only when he moved West and became Professor of Columbia University that he got recognition for his work. It was mostly Einstein who believed his meson theory till the pion was actually discovered much later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    I think what she is trying to say is that the west have their own way of interpreting natural phenomenon (like Gravity) and the culture she comes from have their own way of interpreting the same. The two explanations might be contradictory and so the west has no business imposing their "science" on top of their beliefs. So, science needs to be "decolonized" so each culture can find their own way of explaining the same natural phenomenon in their own way.
    Then you might want to disagree with the person I quoted because I replied to how they interpreted the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    I think the west has a lot to be accountable for with regards to poverty in Africa, but i think lashing out at science is misguided.
    As much as people want to blame the west, try to consider this. Japan was nuked by Americans and today they're like a leader in technology and economics. They're also not white. Germany was decimated, cut in half, and only recently unified and is now practically the leader of Europe. Both an economic power house, and a technological one.

Africa has no excuse. It's now considered normal to have HIV in Africa. That's not caused by the west. I guarantee you the anti-virus treatments they get are caused by the west.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Happy Year 476 South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Because of demographics, how many black female college students choose to major in STEM fields vs. non-STEM fields? I say encourage them to give up art for science.
    Why should they have to give up the arts for science to be in the STEM field? Don't you think a thorough understanding of anti-colonial theory is necessary for all fields? I think the only solution here is to take people who major in areas related to social justice and promote them directly to management roles in STEM, that way they can simply be in charge of people who already know what they are doing.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

WOW. Words can't even describe the ignorance of that person. Decolonize the mind?

Deleted
    What's happening in South Africa is a gimpse of the future of US

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    "someone somewhere said something dumb!" alright. not sure why I should give a shit.
    Because evil SJWs are destroying our world!!! You should be outraged!!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    What's happening in South Africa is a gimpse of the future of US
    "echoing across dozens of college campuses"

Disgusting to watch .Sometimes I worry so much that one day with a huge war or something all our brightest will die while these hipsters sjws are hiding, refusing to act etc and the world is left to them. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    And she made it abundantly clear which direction hers would lead. It's like she wants to redefine science to just be "what <insert group here> subjectively thinks is the right way to learn about the world", which is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread needs to be decolonized.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Because evil SJWs are destroying our world!!! You should be outraged!!!
    Mocking and ridiculing people with an irrational ideology never gets old.

As someone who has done medical anthropology in the past, these sorts of debates happen all the damn time in my profession. At the end of the day, there is really only one viable explanation for this sort of thing: There is no such thing as "western knowledge." There's scientific knowledge, which is proven factual via experiment, and there is literally everything else, which is either proven unfactual or is simply untested. There does exist a western framework of analogy and reference in which those facts exist and were tested, but their wrapping paper does not in any meaningful way invalidate their objective existence. This young woman openly admits to not understanding what science IS at the fundamental level, and clearly does not understand the difference between fact and truth. Good thing she's in college, perhaps she'll stumble into a philosophy of science class and learn something enlightening.

There is a perfect video to describe the only possible response to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkodTydUR0E

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I just meant the part about science kicking magic/superstition's ass, even when the magic shit is real; not the actual assault part. Forgot all about that, to be honest. Need to watch more Rick and Morty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Science is science...why do people try to use identity politics to create wedges?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zebreck View Post
    As someone who has done medical anthropology in the past, these sorts of debates happen all the damn time in my profession. At the end of the day, there is really only one viable explanation for this sort of thing: There is no such thing as "western knowledge." There's scientific knowledge, which is proven factual via experiment, and there is literally everything else, which is either proven unfactual or is simply untested. There does exist a western framework of analogy and reference in which those facts exist and were tested, but their wrapping paper does not in any meaningful way invalidate their objective existence. This young woman openly admits to not understanding what science IS at the fundamental level, and clearly does not understand the difference between fact and truth. Good thing she's in college, perhaps she'll stumble into a philosophy of science class and learn something enlightening.
    Cultural relativism is a major topic in cultural and general anthropology. But I think the video is taking the argument for respect of cultural relativism too far. Science was a big part of our ancestor in Africa via trial and error so I find it surprising that these students do not know this from an anthropological point of view.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zebreck View Post
    What the hell is medical anthropology anyway?. Anthropology shouldn't be even called a science. It's insulting.