Page 1 of 2
LastLast

But is it FUN...? (Unholy mostly but DK in general).

Hi,

I've mained a warlock since Vanilla, and Have wanted to for some time, give a death knight a try. Problem is that I find it very hard to determine what the class is like during leveling. I've gone from starting experience to mid 70's with a DK before but the class due to all the nerfs to low level content make everything so easy that it gives me no idea what the class is like in a late game experience and frankly i get bored and shelf it everytime ive tried so far. Practically everything dies with a single or second application of festering strike (unholy..never really played a tank) along with anything that was near by (and its mother).

I want to know if you think the spec is fun, hectic, annoying, slow in a reasonably difficult setting (for instance 100-110, then dungeons/mythics/raiding) Do you have to stop and regen health inbetween fights? Is it hard to gear for? Whats the most irritating part?

Deleted
    I do find the dk dps specs fun fun rotation that isnt stattic all time. Our moblity cna be anoying at times but for dungeons we make up for it with our aoe dmg and high burst ST dmg with our artifact ability with soulreaper. Hectic i guess uh can be hectic a little when you have lust and soulreaper (21%haste) up at same time. I never really had to stop to regain hp between fights just focus 1mob and the use free Deathstrike proc to heal you for 20% of your hp. Most irriating part is as blood dots/smal aoe ticks eating boneshield chargers, for uh long time going without having runic coruption proc and needing 4 festering strikes on pull to get maw wounds.

I've played many versions of the dk specs over the years, and my favorite was 2h frost in ulduar. Miss those days. I hated the disease based UH builds from cata, and I hate how simple current frost is. Really more hate that they decided two ice picks is > reforged frostmourne. Could do 0 dps and I'd play the fuck out of that. It's cool, ret ONLY gets ashbringer.

My point is mechanics and class fantasy typically needs to align to equal fun. The current version of unholy is fantastic. I have 4 different CDs, as well as frantic and involved rotation. One of the reasons I decided to main UH was because UH is harder than most specs in the game currently to maximize. It's not just apply wounds, pop wounds. There is a frantic reactionary flow that requires careful management and planning. To me thats fun because it keeps me involved.

How is UNH involved?

It's a series of three 'if else' statements... granted its better than froststrike every third skill and frostscythe is a snooze fest.

Shame frost is so good in M+..

You say that as if every spec in the entire game isn't a series of if else statements....It is reactionary, and requires planning to maximize, unlike say, Fury, which is literally hit the button that is lit up.

Unholy is super fun to play. It's even better when we rng goes our way, but not so much when it doesn't.

It's fun in the right circumstances.

1. It's very fun and satisfying when you can cleave and the targets don't die in a few seconds.
    2. It also feels good when your rotation flows smoothly.

However. UH also comes with a number of drawbacks.

1. UH takes some time to get going. You need to spend like 6 or more gcd's before you can start hammering away at a boss
    2. Super RNG dependant. Our opener gets completely shafted if our rng isn't in our favour. And even with the best handling of your rotation, you're gonna end up in situation where you're incapable of pressing a button for several seconds. Death Coil, one of our most used abilities is literally only used to fish for certain procs.
    3. Target switching feels very unpleasant. Our core mechanics essentially works like rogue combo points, only ours are still applied on the target and not ourselves.

Overall I really enjoy the UH rotations.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like to RP walk through the streets of stormwind and imagine all the residents locking their doors and peeking out the windows as i go past.
    Being constructive feels good. You should try it.

Other than the movement speed issue, which I still haven't gotten used to, I really love UH.
    Tried out a couple other classes before Legion hit, during the pre-patch, and just stuck out to me how much more fun UH was for me.

Makes it really a heartbreak that the community is starting to see us as shit so much that I can't get into basic Mythics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one around here who thinks frost shits on unholy concerning the fun factor?

I feel like using a minigun when dpsing, except that it's undertuned and it shoots paperclips or something.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Am I the only one around here who thinks frost shits on unholy concerning the fun factor?

I feel like using a minigun when dpsing, except that it's undertuned and it shoots paperclips or something.
    Not the only one but definitely not the majority.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

i find both dps specs fun. For dungeons i prefer frost ,raiding i prefer uh tad bit more except quite often bad rng i have

Deleted
    Unholy is mostly in as good a place as i can remember. Its fun, has lots if options on how to apply your dps.

Its numbers need adressing and its mobility or at leadt tge ratio between them.

Being ultra picky its big cds feel a little underwhelming and so too does death coil.

Give it a go gearing for normal en is pretty fast right now.

Unholy got dull real fast for me. It's very repetitive and there is not much that can go right or wrong. The best part is watching your abom grip something.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreddyLoix View Post
    Unholy got dull real fast for me. It's very repetitive and there is not much that can go right or wrong. The best part is watching your abom grip something.
    There's actually a lot that can go right and wrong, Unholy is one of the specs with the most rng in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreddyLoix View Post
    You must've not played unholy a lot but we are the definition of a spec that can either go right or wrong. Blizz might as well change our spec name to "rng" because our dps is highly dependent on good procs/rolling of fw's. I can control what my Abom grips because I have the skill toggled off and created a macro for hook. If you haven't done that yet then I don't really know what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by 0verdose View Post
    You must've not played unholy a lot but we are the definition of a spec that can either go right or wrong. Blizz might as well change our spec name to "rng" because our dps is highly dependent on good procs/rolling of fw's. I can control what my Abom grips because I have the skill toggled off and created a macro for hook. If you haven't done that yet then I don't really know what to say.
    He's saying the things that can go right or wrong are out of his control.

And he didn't say anything about not being able to control hook.

Deleted
    cant speak much for unholy, didnt look interesting to me so all i did was the artifact, having a blast with frost tho and im not planning on swapping anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by Vycaus View Post
    I've played many versions of the dk specs over the years, and my favorite was 2h frost in ulduar. Miss those days. I hated the disease based UH builds from cata, and I hate how simple current frost is. Really more hate that they decided two ice picks is > reforged frostmourne. Could do 0 dps and I'd play the fuck out of that. It's cool, ret ONLY gets ashbringer.

My point is mechanics and class fantasy typically needs to align to equal fun. The current version of unholy is fantastic. I have 4 different CDs, as well as frantic and involved rotation. One of the reasons I decided to main UH was because UH is harder than most specs in the game currently to maximize. It's not just apply wounds, pop wounds. There is a frantic reactionary flow that requires careful management and planning. To me thats fun because it keeps me involved.
    Blood DPS DK in ICC for me

Atm unholy is glorious to play

So many... Many minions

Uh took me a bit to get used to. It is super rng based and skils such a DC do like no damage. In general dks need a rework. With that being said I am enjoying uh. I have the legendary bracers and went a UF spec. I am doing great deeps. But sadly our mobility is terribad and even with bracers if you get bad rng (even the bracers are rng) you can end up with lack luster deeps. In pvp uh is extremely fun.