Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Holas View Post
    The knowledge of the wiki reader is so vast there is no point argueing...
    They're from differing geographic locations, and are more importantly, represent distinct ethnic groups.

As a Sephardic Jew myself, sepharadic=mizrahi. My father is from morocco and my mother from tunisia.

Quote Originally Posted by NaNaaru View Post
    As a Sephardic Jew myself, sepharadic=mizrahi. My father is from morocco and my mother from tunisia.
    From a genetic standpoint, no, they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Is it even relevant for your point? They are not european.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    No.

It is essentially a settled matter. The Greeks are not going to ask back Ionia, Syracuse, and southern French ancient Greek colonies. This is why sometimes some countries have to turn the page and move on.
    I was referring to the argument itself, not the particular case (Greeks wanting Istanbul). Having historical ties that ended hundreds or thousands of years ago is not a good enough reason to have a claim on a foreign territory, especially when they were a minority since then (obviously not the case of Jews in Israel since 1947).

Quote Originally Posted by NaNaaru View Post
    Is it even relevant for your point? They are not european.
    They're North African/Iberian. So their 'historical claim' would be shaky at best. They're also, along with the Mizrahi Jewish population in Israel, a minority of claimants.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You do know it's extremely creepy to count the Jews, right?
    Wait, they never had a census in Israel before? Wow... how do they run the country?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, so when head shape doesn't work, we try to use genetics to define what a Jew is? Alright... seems history has taught us well!
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Wait, they never had a census in Israel before? Wow... how do they run the country?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, so when head shape doesn't work, we try to use genetics to define what a Jew is? Alright... seems history has taught us well!
    Since the question is who has a historical claim on a particular piece of land, it's pretty relevant to examine who actually has history in that particular place. The origin and migratory history of different ethnic groups should be the only determining factor. If religion were, I could suddenly decide to start following Zeus and have a perfectly legitimate 'historical claim' on living in Athens, despite the fact that I'm Okinawan.

I do wonder whether historically speaking it was more advantageous to be a Jew, or a member of some other Bronze Age Middle Eastern tribe whose system of rituals didn't happen to become the basis for the largest and most influential religion in the history of the world. Sure, as a Jew your family would have to endure millennia of indignities, oppression, and mass murder, but then again if you belonged to that other tribe, your entire identity and culture would have evaporated long ago and you'd be lucky if anyone in the modern world even remember your name as a group of people that once existed.

Since the question is who has a historical claim on a particular piece of land, it's pretty relevant to examine who actually has history in that particular place. The origin and migratory history of different ethnic groups should be the only determining factor. If religion were, I could suddenly decide to start following Zeus and have a perfectly legitimate 'historical claim' on living in Athens, despite the fact that I'm Okinawan.
    Historical claim means jack shit. This thread is an example of why the ME is so fucked up. Instead of dealing with the practical reality, that is Israel owning the damn place, people are discussing who should own this place. With that kind of thinking you're only looking for excuses to remove people from a place they're not going to vacate. Jerusalem is administrated by Jews, deal with it. Talk them into granting free access to it, if you like, but "claims" is a pointless approach.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Historical claim means jack shit. This thread is an example of why the ME is so fucked up. Instead of dealing with the practical reality, that is Israel owning the damn place, people are discussing who should own this place. With that kind of thinking you're only looking for excuses to remove people from a place they're not going to vacate. Jerusalem is administrated by Jews, deal with it. Talk them into granting free access to it, if you like, but "claims" is a pointless approach.
    If we want to talk present day only, Israel has no claim to anything in Jerusalem at all. The only legal point that matters is the 1948 partition, which grants Jerusalem to an international mandate independent of both Israel and Palestine.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we want to talk present day only, Israel has no claim to anything in Jerusalem at all. The only legal point that matters is the 1948 partition, which grants Jerusalem to an international mandate independent of both Israel and Palestine.
    Possession is 9/10ths of the law though....

Deleted
    They're North African/Iberian.
    Technically Sephardis are as Iberian as Ashkenazi are Germans - genetically that means that they kind of are not, they just absorbed part of the local genetics but are still a very distinct population from local Iberians/Germans. And, by the way, Ashkenazi's are descended from roughly 350 persons who lived just ~700 years ago, apparently in Central Europe, due to a population bottleneck. The others died out.

I'm Saudi and even I think this "resolution" is idiotic. Israel should rightfully be pissed about it, makes little/no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    If y'all haven't noticed, Jews have all but been thrown-away in the progressive stack. In many cases, it being a problem.
    Which I find amusing. Like the assistant director (correct role?) of Momentum in the UK getting the heave. People like that (who occupy that particular region on the political spectrum) constantly twist valid criticisms into "SHUT UP RACIST/SEXIST" or whatever else, somethings are just off limits to them, it doesn't matter if the person criticising, or asking the question has a valid point or not, the feels (or more often, a dogma) must be protected. Same with the NUS president (I think that was her role).

And then we get Jews. Not to derail, just using it as an example, that Momentum woman made some fair points in my opinion, but it didn't matter, it was twisted to be an attack on all jews, and declared a symptom of latent antisemitism and she had to go. Sound familiar? That medicine tastes foul. I do find it amusing, how switching in jews in place of another group utterly changes things for them. I don't support it- I don't need to like the person, but if they raise a fair point, then it is a fair point, but that doesn't mean I don't have to smirk when certain people get a taste of their own medicine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

The UN voted, now what? Good luck getting them out.

These threads are always great on MMOchampion.

Pure nazi hatred straight out of daily stormer talking about how Jews deserve whatever they get, etc and the mods leave it open. It's always eye-opening how left-wing forums like MMO have so much hatred.

This is why every Jew needs to be armed. Shoot anti-Semite scum first, ask questions later.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    The UN voted, now what? Good luck getting them out.
    Do you even read the article or followed the discussion ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Anyone care to try and explain in an unbiased way (or with unbiased source) what is going on here?
    UNESCO basically decided to name the world heritage site Al Qsa Mosque instead of the Temple Mount or Wailing Wall. That is all. So officially the area that is important for the Jewish faith now falls under the boundaries of the Mosque.

Its really nothing for people to get their panties in a bunch over.
    You can't fix stupid. But damn it you can troll it!

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    UNESCO basically decided to name the world heritage site Al Qsa Mosque instead of the Temple Mount or Wailing Wall. That is all. So officially the area that is important for the Jewish faith now falls under the boundaries of the Mosque.

Its really nothing for people to get their panties in a bunch over.

Well, Temple was gone long ago. Reality is the presence of 2 mosques. So deal with it, Israel and wail at the wall ?