10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    In terms of power, its likely around PS4/Xbone level since its running the Skyrim remaster

They did showcase games and it has me hyped because I want the games. New Mario?!??!?!!!!!!!!!!!!! PORTABLE SKYRIM! TAKE THAT GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
    How do we know it's the remaster? Was that confirmed somewhere?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    LOL God No.

4k is still not a thing and 1080p is still the most used resolution on all platforms. Nintendo doing 4k isn't going to happen anytime soon. Will you be able to play it on a 4k tv...Ya I am sure via upscale.

Will it be anywhere close to 4k native...Nope. There isn't a tablet out there that is 4k native and that is what the switch is.
    Exactly, not to mention the user/install base of 4k monitors/tvs is nowhere near what people/retailers want you to think it is. It's still very very low.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    That it's not a gigantic thing you need to put in a large backpack? Some people only play with the handheld, and they can continue doing so.
    SO they are gonna release an entire new console to have almost all the same games but just so you can put it in your pocket? Hmmm....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OGXanos View Post
    How do we know it's the remaster? Was that confirmed somewhere?

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, not to mention the user/install base of 4k monitors/tvs is nowhere near what people/retailers want you to think it is. It's still very very low.
    lots of places are claiming it

https://www.gamnesia.com/news/ninten...art-a-new-mari

Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Definitely need more info before any decisions are made. Not getting excited until then. I'm worried this will replace the DS series, and no thanks, I'm not carrying that clunky piece of shit around with me. That screen is going to be ruined in days.

Battery life?
    Console power?
    Is the handeld actually running the games, or is it streaming?
    Is the TV console portion a separate cpu/gpu?

Lol at my friend texting me. "OMG DID YOU SEE THE NEW CONSOLE!!!! OMGOMGOMG! I'm getting it as soon as it comes out!!!!!"

So gullible. It just seems too gimmicky. I just want a fucking console to play your video games Nintendo. How hard is that?
    Isn't that what just keeping it in the dock seems to do? Having a more standard set of controllers seems to be the default for home use in this teaser.
    Last edited by zealo; 2016-10-20 at 04:52 PM.

Also, ugh, the more I think about it the more I had "Switch" as a name. Seriously, what a boring, uninspired name that's going to get confused by IT folks who work on switches on a daily basis.

Shit, just keeping it the "NX" would have been better than this stupid name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those bastards:
    Don't sweat the details!!!

OH MY GOD THE TABLET STICKS OUT FROM THE REST OF THE BASE STATION WHEN IT'S PLUGGED IN, WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT.

Jesus, the more I look at what they've shown of the console itself the more I find that I dislike it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Also, ugh, the more I think about it the more I had "Switch" as a name. Seriously, what a boring, uninspired name that's going to get confused by IT folks who work on switches on a daily basis.

The name is fine and easy as hell to market, Calling it the NX would have been harder to market.

- - - Updated - - -

OH MY GOD THE TABLET STICKS OUT FROM THE REST OF THE BASE STATION WHEN IT'S PLUGGED IN, WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT.

Jesus, the more I look at what they've shown of the console itself the more I find that I dislike it.
    Because making the base station bigger is pointless.....

Its no different then just charging a tablet.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Isn't that what just keeping it in the dock seems to do? Having a more standard set of controllers seems to be the default for home use in this teaser.
    I feel like all of the gimmicks are just costly diversions from making a simple and more powerful machine.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

I feel like all of the gimmicks are just costly diversions from making a simple and more powerful machine.
    Its clear they are merging both there console and handheld markets and that lowers there overall cost. No need to develop two+ systems anymore. One platform more games and play it how you wish.

Power isn't everything when it comes to both console and mobile gaming.

The name is fine and easy as hell to market, Calling it the NX would have been harder to market.
    No, it's generic as hell. This is an issue with them changing the names of their consoles completely, they don't build a brand alongside it. Yeah, they have the Nintendo brand, but they don't have the "PlayStation" or "Xbox" brands like Microsoft and Sony have behind them as well. That makes all their consoles easily identifiable and unique.

Because making the base station bigger is pointless.....
    Design, dude. You want a sleek looking machine, not something that looks cobbled together.

Also...

OH MY GOD THE TABLET IS A SQUARE. What the fuck, visually this console is a disaster, it looks awful. And Nintendo usually does a good job designing sleek consoles.

Power isn't everything when it comes to both console and mobile gaming.
    If you want solid third party support, it kinda is. That's why Nintendo's third party support (at least from Western publishers) has been dogshit the past two generations.

Deleted
    It just seems too gimmicky. I just want a fucking console to play your video games Nintendo. How hard is that?
    You and like five other people. The Gamecube showed Nintendo that going for pure power isn't a recipe for success (it sold like shit), so they probably will never do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Will it be 4k resolution? Any new console which releases at less than 4k resolution is pretty silly. 1080 is the new 720. Time to move forward and get on the 4k train.
    Only tech nerds care about 4K...

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    Good thing they went out of their way saying it's not meant to be a replacement.
    Nintendo also said the same thing about the original DS; it was never meant to replace the Gameboy line, but look how that turned out

How is it a bad name? It is infinitely better than ''Wii U'' and you can make all kinds of stupid slogans for it like ''Switch up the way you play'' because it quite literally does that by being both a portable and a home console. Luckily for Nintendo only a minority of people are employed as IT people...

You also seem to have a case of OCD because the average person really isn't going to care if the screen sticks out of the dock a bit.. you're going to be looking at the television when the console looks that way anyway. Having the screen stick out a bit also makes fitting the controls easier. And again, luckily for Nintendo the screen isn't meant to be used solo, so the shape it has then doesn't matter...
    Last edited by mmoc0614accb52; 2016-10-20 at 05:12 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

My guess would be that they wanted it to be easier to remove when you are ready to go mobile. Not that it would be impossible if it was flush, but it's easier with a bit sticking out. Just a guess, of course.

If you want solid third party support, it kinda is. That's why Nintendo's third party support (at least from Western publishers) has been dogshit the past two generations.
    And yet look at there list for the 3rd party support this thing is getting.

No, it's generic as hell. This is an issue with them changing the names of their consoles completely, they don't build a brand alongside it. Yeah, they have the Nintendo brand, but they don't have the "PlayStation" or "Xbox" brands like Microsoft and Sony have behind them as well. That makes all their consoles easily identifiable and unique.
    There brand is Nintendo just like Sony's is Playstation.

They want to avoid it being even closely related to the Wii-U and Nintendo Switch once again is easy as fuck to market for.

OH MY GOD THE TABLET IS A SQUARE. What the fuck, visually this console is a disaster, it looks awful. And Nintendo usually does a good job designing sleek consoles.
    It works as a moblie device and who gives a fuck what it looks like when its hooked up to ur tv.

Its small you can put it in a spot and forget about it, along with never seeing it. The only time you look at it is when you pull it out for mobile and then it looks like a tablet.

Not trying to sound like a fanboy but the complaints about the looks and all is just stupid. People wanted Nintendo to make a simple system and they did just that, yet people are bitching about it.

As for it sticking out on the charger dock, DF made a good point in there video. The system looks like it has vents on the top of it, so it sticking out looks to be a cooling reason and not a look one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Because the plug in box won't increase the performance of the console one bit
    Well we don't even know that if it would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    Is that good or bad? All-custom Nvidia stuff vs. AMD Hardware on PS4/Xbox, plus DX12 for Xbox/PC - why would i ever choose the NX/Switch?

Also, the whole console seems rather tiny. What hardware can actually fit in there, both the docked+portable station, and the portable part exclusively.
    If you assume that every game has to also run on the portable device exclusively, there isn't much hardware available, let alone storage space for several games.

The outdoor-multiplayer scenes were rather odd - the tiny controller with their 5 buttons, and the already relatively small hands of women in the video were already oversized. Nobody can keep up with that sort of hand aerobics for a long time, yet it kind of looked like the main focus of the announced trailer - play on your portable device with your friends, everywhere, just lacking comfortable controllers.
    That entirely depends on how well Nvidia handles their software, since it seems like Nvidia is the one handling the API, which actually is a bad thing. It means that Nintendo doesn't have full disclosure of the architecture in use and can be limiting, this was the issue I was foreseeing when I saw rumors of Nvidia being the supplier if it was true. Their Denver cores do NOT use ARM instruction set architecture (ISA), it uses a custom "Denver" ISA which can accept ARM but recompiles it to Denver ISA to run. The other question is the CPU side and well, if anything about their mobile power use, it'll be a power hogging and underperforming SoC which is a bad thing for the mobile aspect.

As for 3rd party, since it's using a completely different CPU and GPU architecture and ISA it'll mean more work for porting to Nintendo configuration, I doubt it'd be that big of a deal though.
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    1. 3DS has inferior hardware to this.

2. Look at their own ad... http://i.imgur.com/gTMxyCd.mp4 --- That shit is running at like 10fps... And this is a bullshot to sell the thing lol... Which means its probably worse than that.
    That's... actually pretty bad if it's the actual hardware/software running. I don't mind 30 FPS personally, but that's a consistent 10-15 FPS.

Personally speaking. Concept wise I'm completely fine with it, it's pretty much like the PS TV / Vita interaction where you just sync the data across the platform and play on TV essentially, a bit more fuss but the same idea. The main and biggest thing I worry about is the hardware spec, not the power of the hardware, but the power consumption. The Google Pixel C's Tegra X1 uses 14W~, compared to the 10W~ from the competition, and Parker (Tegra X2) is using 2x Denver2 core + 4x A57 (power hungry and under performing) cores. Nvidia calls it Super.big configuration which really means that their Denver cores are going to be way higher power consumption.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-10-20 at 05:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Switch...switch. Terrible.

I'm not going to say it won't be successful but I won't be touching this, looks like a gimmicky tablet. I can see kids and parents digging this though (and some adults of course)

To add about the name,The Nintendo Switch.

It fits with how they named all there systems before the wii.

1) NES (Nintendo Entertainment System)
    2) SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)
    3) N64 (Nintendo 64)
    4) GC (Game Cube)
    and now Nintendo Switch.

Each system had a name related to the system,its hardware and what it does. Nintendo Switch does the exact same thing. It lets you switch to the playstyle you need. You can go mobile or console. Nintendo NX doesn't make sense because it doesn't do that. I guess the NX could mean Next but then people would be asking.... Next what? Nintendo Switch is going to be easy to market and I hope they don't fuck it up.

The name is way more fitting for a Nintendo system then Wii or Wii-U was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people keep using the GC as an example of people rejecting a powerful Nintendo home console?

The GC "failed" for a number of reasons. First, the disk size. Devs got screwed over here, which limited third party support (even though they had a decent amount).
    Second, the aesthetics. It looked like a kids toy, especially next to the sleek looking PS2. There's also some software related reasons that it failed.

Nintendo hasn't put out a powerful home console that isn't gimmicky and doesn't screw over devs since the SNES.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

And yet look at there list for the 3rd party support this thing is getting
    At launch. How strongly they're supporting the console, we don't know. How long they'll stick around, we don't know. First parties always get solid initial support, but if they aren't able to move tons of software or if their consoles end up being a nightmare to work with and don't justify the work to port games down from current gen, they'll abandon it like they abandoned the Wii U.

There brand is Nintendo just like Sony's is Playstation.
    No, that's their brand just like Sony or Microsoft. Their consoles have no branding a la PlayStation or Xbox. They all have their own individual names.

They want to avoid it being even closely related to the Wii-U and Nintendo Switch once again is easy as fuck to market for.
    That's fine that they want to distance themselves from that dumpster fire, but at least come up with an iconic sounding name for your new console. "Switch" is so painfully generic.

It works as a moblie device and who gives a fuck what it looks like when its hooked up to ur tv.
    A lot of people, actually. That's why some folks hide "ugly" consoles rather than displaying them prominently, and why consoles visual reveals are usually treated as a pretty big deal. Design matters, dude.

Its small you can put it in a spot and forget about it, along with never seeing it. The only time you look at it is when you pull it out for mobile and then it looks like a tablet.
    Or swap game cartridges. Or if you don't have somewhere to hide it.

Not trying to sound like a fanboy but the complaints about the looks and all is just stupid. People wanted Nintendo to make a simple system and they did just that, yet people are bitching about it.
    No they're not. A huge amount of time is spent on the visual design of console to make them appealing and try to make them fit with what the current living room aesthetics are. That's a major deal, dude.

I'm not "bitching", I'm being critical of what I feel are some monumentally stupid decisions that could be easily rectified.

As for it sticking out on the charger dock, DF made a good point in there video. The system looks like it has vents on the top of it, so it sticking out looks to be a cooling reason and not a look one.
    We'll see when we find out more about the consoles specs and folks get hands on with it, but as of now I'm standing by my critiques that it looks ugly.