Quote Originally Posted by Tonjoon View Post
    Apparently Blizzard didn't care enough about whether they were making money with it or not, so why should we? Blizzard wanting to meet Nost people (PR-stunt or not) made it seem like they have great admiration for what the people at Nost had done. If they really cared about the "lost money", don't you think they had done something more when they had the chance?

- - - Updated - - -

They only let the server die because they thought they could have a bigger impact on the legacy front. They could've kept the server running if they wanted to, but they chose to take the martyr route and I'm pretty sure it started a movement so big that Blizzard can't just shrug it off like some QQ about class balance.
    AGAIN

You don't have to profit to be found guilty of copyright infringement.

All the rest, about martys and nonsense is specious gobbedlygook that's more about your butthurt at Blizzard (probably from shutting down a free illegal version of WoW) than reality.

Apparently Blizzard didn't care enough about whether they were making money with it or not, so why should we?
    Because of people in this thread as painting them as Robin Hood and doing it for 'love of the game' and not for any money at all. That is why. They started making those claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Because of people in this thread as painting them as Robin Hood and doing it for 'love of the game' and not for any money at all. That is why. They started making those claims.
    The Nost guys admitted they knew they were taking a risk doing it. It's only the crusaders here who try to paint them in a different light, for...reasons.

They only let the server die because they thought they could have a bigger impact on the legacy front.
    Oh yeah, because they could totally fight that Cease and Desist order. All they'd have to do is tell the judge they're free to use any stolen intellectual property they wanted, right?

They could've kept the server running if they wanted to,
    If they wanted to give Blizzard a few million dollars from a lawsuit, sure, they could keep the server going.

but they chose to take the martyr route
    Yeah, they're such saints, that can do no wrong, even when they do do wrong...

and I'm pretty sure it started a movement so big that Blizzard can't just shrug it off like some QQ about class balance.
    You mean... shrug off like they did shrug off said "movement"? I don't see any progress on that front other than some meetings that more likely than not were just to appease the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Oh yeah, because they could totally fight that Cease and Desist order. All they'd have to do is tell the judge they're free to use any stolen intellectual property they wanted, right?

If they wanted to give Blizzard a few million dollars from a lawsuit, sure, they could keep the server going.

You mean... shrug off like they did shrug off said "movement"? I don't see any progress on that front other than some meetings that more likely than not were just to appease the masses.
    Yeah, a "movement" that supposedly consists of hundreds of thousands of players, if not millions if you believe some of the crusaders here - but that could only sell 200 $13 t-shirts.

Great movement there, guys. That should really show Blizzard, when maybe ten of those shirts show up at Blizzcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    @Mahourai

They also said "A status of the donation will be available on the website."
    https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3903

Only a person who was actively participating on the Nost society can shed some light to us.
    It was never visible on the website. When they made the announcement on March 8th 2016 they stated the following:

We were ashamed of this situation even though it was necessary, because it was against what we wanted in the beginning. This explains why the link wasn't promoted on the website or in any of our public media venues.
    Donations were never mentioned on the website frontpage in any capacity. You can go look at the Nostalrius website on archive.org and plainly see there was no mention of the fact that they were taking in money or any kind of donation limit or stats on the frontpage. In fact the website quite proudly proclaimed they did not earn money from the server for months afterwards, omitting any mention of the donation system.

I had a Nostalrius character and filed bug reports on the server, I'm not backtracking to look up and present flattering information about a server I'm glamorizing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Yeah, a "movement" that supposedly consists of hundreds of thousands of players, if not millions if you believe some of the crusaders here - but that could only sell 200 $13 t-shirts.

Great movement there, guys. That should really show Blizzard, when maybe ten of those shirts show up at Blizzcon.
    Players dont want T-shirts. They want a server.
    Why buy a T-shirt for something that no longer exists.

So they don't want to support the "movement" by buying those T-shirts?

So, are you confirming that this "movement" for Legacy servers no longer exists?

Looks like the point went right over your head at 30,000 feet with drinks service and a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Looks like the point went right over your head at 30,000 feet with drinks service and a movie.
    Haha oh man this thread keeps on giving.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    You people don't seem to get that some people LIKE that stuff.
    I didn't mind it at the time. But I think after my time on a private Blizz-like realm, I found myself missing little things that just made adventuring more enjoyable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lobogo View Post
    im pretty amazed by the amount of people saying that a month into vanilla "we" would be complaining about bugs, content, balance, pvp
    do you really see private server communities complaining about bugs (and god there are 1000x times the bugs retail would have) or content? or about any stupid features?
    no, we just want the game back, we do NOT care about class balancing - every player accepts the fact that vanilla is scissors/rock/paper game, or lack of content - we know what content is available in vanilla, we know there wont be no new... so what?

anyway, just shut up and let blizz decide, dont tell us what we want
    Get a grip kid. I was simply responding to the thread and expressing my view on it. I never said I knew what any wanted. I said they would "probably play once for nostalgia and quit", which is both opinion and speculation. Breathe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jpedrote52 View Post
    WoW ok legion fan, nice list of quality of life improvements that current wow players love, the things you just listed make the game an mmo, you know a game where you spend lots of time grinding and exploring, because you know your character has limitations, and those limitations make your accomplishments a lot more meaningful.
    I played in TBC and at the time, they were part of the game and I had no issue with any of it. But to willingly give up a bag slot, buy ammo, feed a pet, and train multiple pets just to teach my main pet new tricks seems like a step backwards. Again, that's just me. Having an opinion against Vanilla makes me unpopular in the thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post

Why so hostile? Let me rephrase; they could've moved the server and ignored all the c&d letters like plenty of p-server providers have done for years. I did not talk about it being legal or not at all. All I said was they could have if they had wanted to (proof being their word and the fact that others can do it just fine).

And about them being saints. So did they do the right thing closing the servers or not? I'm confused.

There is a movement for legacy servers whether you want to acknowledge it or not, however small it might be. No need to be so hostile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Because you are trying to paint them s totally innocent Vanilla lovers who can do no wrong. The truth is on their own fucking forums that they were taking money soon after opening.

LOL they didn't win shit. I HOPE they fucking try and do something because Blizz knows who they are and will easily take them down with lawsuits.
    Kyanion frequents the thread to bash anything vanilla. Who cares if Nostalrius had a donation button. Nobody. They had tons of expenses and we wanted to keep playing without the server shutting down. People only saw the donation button if they tried to seek it out. The server was entirely free, I paid nothing, nobody that I played with paid anything.

Why does one even need to waste time defending this when it's common sense? Do you bash Wikipedia for having a hidden donation page? Why don't you go outside and get some fresh air.

I seem to notice the same names page after page who seemingly camp this thread to bash legacy servers. Interesting. Surely if any legacy servers are open you can simply choose to not play them and go about your business on Legion, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hrishi View Post
    I seem to notice the same names page after page who seemingly camp this thread to bash legacy servers. Interesting. Surely if any legacy servers are open you can simply choose to not play them and go about your business on Legion, right?
    Yeah because in the past recent pages some of you haven't been bashing retail either right? Not saying you specifically. Both fucking sides are as bad as each other when it comes to the insults.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-10-24 at 07:56 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    I disagree. I think it would only feel like a step backwards if they stripped their code so that it looks like 2005 code again (which all these Nostidiots are craving). I can't ever see Blizzard do something that stupid. I don't have a great analogy for this, but its kinda like the reworking of 1-60 content. Yes, it's 1-60 content, so its old, but at the same time it didn't feel backwards leveling a new character, because it was also very new.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a little unfair to paint it that way. Is a person doing the right thing by dropping his knife, when ordered to by cops, after killing several people? Yeeeaaaah, but he is surrounded by so much wrong that no one would and should commend him (except, perhaps the insane).
    Oh I know it was an unfair point as itself, but he said it as if they are pure evil doing illegal stuff at every step. I wanted to know if he thought them shutting down the server was evil and wrong aswell. :P

Oh I know it was an unfair point as itself, but he said it as if they are pure evil doing illegal stuff at every step. I wanted to know if he thought them shutting down the server was evil and wrong aswell. :P
    Shutting it down was well within their rights. Not evil or wrong whatsoever. Any sane company would have taken the same stance.

Deleted
    You misunderstood. I meant from Nostalrius' part. I know it was right from Blizzard's point of view, them owning the IP an all.

You misunderstood. I meant from Nostalrius' part. I know it was right from Blizzard's point of view, them owning the IP an all.
    Oh sorry my bad then dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    Well, they can choose to not play on them. But, do they have the right to choose their money not being spent on a Blizzard-sponsored Nost-clone?
    When you buy a blizzard product you don't exactly become a shareholder in their company, with the ability to decide where their money should best be spent. So no, I don't think people have that right. As much as self-proclaimed experts on finance on these boards are ready with financial advice for Blizzard, I'm sure they don't need the help.