Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

A 41 year old memory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbrQ5wNDPo

Got a little teary-eyed hearing chicken soup with rice.

It's mostly Maurice Sendak's stuff. The music (and voice of Rosie) however is Carole King.
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2016-10-23 at 03:18 PM.

Kids will never remember...

1) Having ONE phone in the house...and that stood on a small table, usually in a hallway, affixed via a FIXED cord.

2) People losing their minds over a long-distance call. People would send letters about what time they would call. The only thing more valuable than a long distance call were cut diamonds and those Danish Butter Cookies that you could only get at the Duty Free shops and they cost like $30 a container...and that was in 1970's money.

3) Plaid...everywhere. From the late 50s to the end of the 70s, any guy could basically just throw ANY plaid anything together and almost get away with it. Looking back on it, some of the pics I have are gut-wrenchingly bad.

4) Pleasant air travel. It USED to be fun. For a thousand reasons, the TSA only being one. Kids will never remember how air travel used to be fun. And quick. In some instances, it was actually really quick.

5) Life before ATMs. ATMs haven't existed forever. And "Banker's Hours" used to be 10-3. Yeah. The banks used to ONLY be open for check cashing, opening accounts, etc...from 10-3, Monday-Friday. NO WEEKENDS. Kids will never remember standing for 2-3 HOURS in line at the bank...JUST to cash your paycheck on a busy Friday during the holidays...

6) 411. Kids will never remember CALLING information to get someone's phone number (or drunk dialing them for an answer to a Trivial Pursuit question...don't act like I'm the only one to ever witness that). With Google, Facebook and all the interconnectivity we have as well as people not having land lines now, the idea of calling "Information" to get someone's phone number is...anachronistic.

7) Outside. Kids will never remember outside. Not the way we did. Outside was just...outside. Didn't need an appointment or safety equipment or anything other than the clothes on our backs...and if we didn't get dressed fast enough, we didn't get that. "Get out and don't come back until dinner" was a common refrain during the summer. You wanted a drink? Welcome to the hose. You learned to squirrel away a pair of pliers if the spigot didn't have a handle. You have to go to the bathroom? You figured that out, too. The app for figuring out a fun time was our brain...or our friend's brain...or the neighbor kid's brain. But kids today will never remember...outside.

8) Amusement Parks. Kids will never remember Amusement parks that used to be something the Average family could enjoy. The costs of everything have gone up so much that many kids today will NEVER see the inside of an Amusement Park or if they do, it will be once or twice in their lives when prior to that, it was affordable enough that even if you lived pretty far away, a trip to one was a reasonable expense and a memorable trip that justified at least a semi-regular visit if that's something that interested you.

9) Free or almost free college. When my mom went to UCLA, it was nearly free and when I went to CA Community Colleges prior to going into the Navy, I think I paid an enrollment fee and a nominal fee per credit and books. My kids are trying to do the CC route and struggling to do work out transfers so that they can finish without debt and it's really not easy. Kids will never remember working for a summer and having enough for tuition, room and board for the whole year of college (prolly a state school, but still)

10) Reasonable housing. When I was a kid, we lived in a 3BR house in the San Gabriel Valley (nice city with great schools) that they bought for $62k. The house payment after down was $260/mo. This was in the mid 70s, but still. Zillow'd that house now... it's worth $922k. I know the SoCal economy has improved a bit and a lot of money from China has poured into that area, but still... Kids will never remember housing at a reasonable price.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved this so much when I was around 7:

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    In Finland, and I'm sure in many other countries, it's still quite possible to disable the sending of your number when making calls, on your phone. It'll just show "unknown caller" at the other end. The authorities can still obviously figure out who called if it comes to that, but they've always been able to do that.

So yeah, this isn't a thing that doesn't exist anymore. Just get your hands on some old phone from some thrift store, buy a prepaid account, do both of these things somewhere that doesn't have a camera on you and preferably ways away from where you live, disable the caller ID sending and you've got a pretty much secure burner. As "secure" as it can be, that is.
    True true... Only issue many people don't answer unknown caller...its not fun leaving a VM saying... Is your frig running? Well go catch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    i loved this show:

until season 8 when it went to shit.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Virtually everyone who played Skyrim has never played Morrowind, so it seems most modern gamers have missed out on that.

Of course, original Doom. Fallout and Fallout 2.
    Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Duke Nukem 3D, Red Alert, Heretic, Mafia City of Lost Heaven

- - - Updated - - -
    Lets talk about REAL things only 90s kids will remember

You know back when kids actually had Cartoons.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2016-10-24 at 06:10 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have memeories of dial up, and downloading ultima 5 to fit on a floppy disk

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Hahah omg, i remember when I was like 16 and my parents were pissed off at me for using dial up because it would block phone calls.
    I would then wake up at like 3am to surf the net and prayed to gods that they won't hear that sound and wake up

Deleted
    Gotta get on this as a 30yr old. My favorite game as a kid which made me super popular on toy day at school and possibly one of the best kids cartoon theme tunes ever

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post

You know back when kids actually had Cartoons.
    The 70s...made learning my multiplication tables easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The 70s...made learning my multiplication tables easy.
    Conjunction junction. What's your function ?

"And," "But," and "Or" will get you pretty far....

10+ Year Old Account
    That sound of dial up internet.. I'll never forget it.

...wtf...I still use dial-up...

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    I remember making a collect call to my dad, and having him refuse the charges so he could call me back on his cell phone that had free long distance. We did that 100s of times.
    "hi this is Ro, pick us up at the theater at 8 bye"
    Do you except the charges?
    Naw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thealmightymoo View Post
    I have memeories of dial up, and downloading ultima 5 to fit on a floppy disk
    did you color coordinate your floppies?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    I still have all my pogs in a storage bin somewhere, never giving um up.
    That's like hoping your beanie babies will be worth something someday. The relevance has come and gone... get what you can.

I had a 6 foot pog container, it was bigger than me. As I grew up that pog container got replaced with a 6 foot bong... priorities man!

7+ Year Old Account
    Thunder..... Thunder..... Thunder Cats, HO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    That's like hoping your beanie babies will be worth something someday. The relevance has come and gone... get what you can.

I had a 6 foot pog container, it was bigger than me. As I grew up that pog container got replaced with a 6 foot bong... priorities man!
    Haha would be funny if you had turned that pog container into a bong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Hahah omg, i remember when I was like 16 and my parents were pissed off at me for using dial up because it would block phone calls.
    I would then wake up at like 3am to surf the net and prayed to gods that they won't hear that sound and wake up
    Dude, ATM0.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN