Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Which means, it's exactly just their word. The whole donation system was presented with their words.

Which is why I remain skeptical of their claims. There are no 'known facts' that indicate any of their claims about their money being true. Why? Because if there were facts, we could verify their claims. We can't. Because there are no facts. Just claims.

Except they were already shown guilty, by using copyrighted material without approval of the copyright owner. And those claims are directly tied to their culpability, which makes their claims even more dubious than it would normally be.

Let's assume for now, for the sake of the argument, that they are indeed criminals. From your experience, watching whatever documentaries or news reports with interviews of criminals... did any of them ever admit to wrongdoing, or doing such for a 'noble cause'? People can lie, and the chances of people lying increase practically exponentially the more their lives and/or livelihood are put in jeopardy.
    I've read most of the comments from Nost, and while they don't claim to wrongdoing (which is probably from advice from lawyers - when you're facing a lawsuit, you don't admit to anything in public), their actions and lack of any kind of claims legally to do what they were doing is pretty evident that what THEY think is pretty different from what the kiddies here are claiming. Nost states that as soon as Blizzard said "take it down" they did - which is admission in itself they knew what they were doing was not legal. All of the logic twisting and claims of rights and such have happened HERE. Nost's approach was to talk to Blizzard, show them what they did, and see if it could help Blizzard clear a path to launch legacy servers as an official project. They don't claim any rights, any moral or ethical high ground, they don't shame blizzard, they even state that they won't be hiding servers in other countries because it goes against their principles.

If you take what they've written and posted in public, it's a different story than what's told and bellowed about here. They never claimed any rights. They never challenged the copyright laws, or Blizzard's rights to shut them down. They never claimed immunity because they didn't profit. Wether their donation links were blatant or not is wholly irrelevant, and the whole thing is so played out now, it's useless scraps of arguement like this that the kids here only have left to chew over and over and over. It's pointless and meaningless, it's forum-PvP trying to score "points", after their 'war" has ended and the victors decided.

And, in the bigger picture, their donations and profit, if any, is still not required to sue them for copyright infringement and DMCA violations. So they played coy with donations - it changes nothing. If this reached a courtroom, it would barely be worth mentioning, unless Blizzard used the total donations over time to calculate damages, if they decided to go for unjust enrichment on Nost's part.

As far as this thread goes, this bickering over their donations is about as meaningful and constructive as the rest of the myths and fairy tales and urban legends that the kiddies here obesess and get belligerent over.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    There's one way to permanently taint a company's perception of you forever:

Do what Nostalrius is basically threatening Blizzard to do.

While it was unlikely they'll announce Legacy servers, this will ensure they never ever will.
    I believe if Blizzard believes it will be helpful and/or profitable for them, they will do it, no matter what they think of Nostalrius.

Although I agree, it was a dumb move and/or an exceptionally terrible choice of words.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    If you think it's possible to "shut all private servers down," I have some oceanfront property in Colorado I'd like to sell you.
    Yet the most prominent are shutdown pretty quickly once Blizzard decides to tackle the issue. I didn't say it was possible, I said it was the only solution to the woes we are currently experiencing in the new apathetic expansions.

Deleted
    Again, it was only shut down because the people at Nostalrius' thought it was the right thing to do after the C&D. They could have kept the server going at another location or given their code and database to another server host (Warmane for instance); one that doesn't care about legal issues.

Essentially they wanted to save what was left of their faces so they could bring the movement straight to Blizzard. They succeeded in what they wanted to do. Whatever Blizzard decides to do next is up to them, of course.

Deleted
    Why is this thread still open, just with title its violating already 2 forum rules...

Deleted
    Just to annoy you Hemski, just to annoy you. I kid. It's interesting to some people, that's why.

Deleted
    Let's assume for now, for the sake of the argument, that they are indeed criminals. From your experience, watching whatever documentaries or news reports with interviews of criminals... did any of them ever admit to wrongdoing, or doing such for a 'noble cause'? People can lie, and the chances of people lying increase practically exponentially the more their lives and/or livelihood are put in jeopardy.
    Do you really thing Blizzard would spend time inviting criminals to Blizz HQ in a 5 hour meeting where they even play all together in the private server?
    Wouldn't that be PR suicide?

They are so chill about the situation because of the honor of conduct of the Nost team.
    "even if you help with a donation you won't get anything ingame"
    "we want an authentic Vanilla experience"
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-10-24 at 04:21 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    before I started playing WoW, i used to play console games and then switched to pc games as half-life and doom and quake came out.
    My friends and i would all get together and team up and drink and play for hours on end. As newer versions came out we would play those. After some time A friend introduced me to wow and I have played that ever since. Now one interesting thing that makes a difference is if I want to play half-life 1 or 2 all i have to do is load it up, same with doom or quake series or counterstrike series too. When it comes to WoW, you can't just do that and I always found that strange. There should be something done for those that want to play older versions of those games we PAID for. I know there are people that no longer play but would come back for legacy, so Blizz can make it happen or somebody else will. Why doesn't blizz offer a lan server pack or something like other games use? Hell I'd be happy with at least that over having nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Disagree here. Unless you're claiming those pages were created later as forged evidence. It's pages that were created directed at the potential donators, informing them how and what was happening. Yes, it can still be a lie (them saying it is capped but in reality not being), but it's not the same as just saying "yea we did it non-profit".
    My point is that their claims are proof of nothing. They can claim anything they want. That they capped donations at 360, that all the money they got from donations went to server maintenance, that all the money they got from selling T-shirts went to charity... anything. But until I see proof of their claims, and not just more claims claiming their claims are true, I'll remain very skeptical of what they say, considering it can directly affect their culpability.

Deleted
    I play vanilla and legion both atm and i love both. Seem to be playing vanilla a bit more but both fill a different need for me, both games scratch a certain kind of itch that the other cant.
    I hope to god blizz would release official legacy servers that i can go in. But if they never will, at least there is still options where to play...

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    They don't claim any rights, any moral or ethical high ground, they don't shame blizzard.
    "if Blizzard doesn't make an announcement to honour their own core values, be sure that we will."

Direct quote from here.

They never challenged the copyright laws
    You do know that by simply creating their own pirate server, they are challenging copyright laws, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Do you really thing Blizzard would spend time inviting criminals to Blizz HQ in a 5 hour meeting where they even play all together in the private server?
    Do you have any proof to back up that claim, considering that, when Blizzard invited them, the servers had already been closed?

Deleted
    Do you have any proof to back up that claim, considering that, when Blizzard invited them, the servers had already been closed?
    "We met with the Nostalrius server guys last week, and we even had the opportunity to play on the server. It was kind of a moving experience to get to re-experience classic WoW."
    "We made a Stratholme run together. It was hilarious. John Hight, our production director, forgot that his pet was only level 8, so he’d go and pull, and it’d pull half the instance, and we’d wipe, and had to run back, and all that good stuff. So that’s really cool, and we like that idea, but it is extremely challenging to actually execute."

http://kotaku.com/blizzard-talks-wor...mor-1781753136

Someone else posted this link a few pages ago

Deleted
    "if Blizzard doesn't make an announcement to honour their own core values, be sure that we will."

Direct quote from here.

You do know that by simply creating their own pirate server, they are challenging copyright laws, right?

- - - Updated - - -

While i cant really comment on his claims, just coz the servers had shut down doesnt mean the data isnt saved on a usb stick somewhere..

you can save anything on a usb stick these days

and im no wow-server expert but i dont believe it takes hours to launch a server (at least from my limited experience)

Deleted
    Opening a vanilla server for LAN is very easy and anyone can do it. We used to goof around vanilla/tbc servers with my mates

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemski View Post
    Why is this thread still open, just with title its violating already 2 forum rules...
    this is a megathread, if it wasnt for this thread you would have legacy server threads spammed all over the forum.

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    this is a megathread, if it wasnt for this thread you would have legacy server threads spammed all over the forum.
    And we still kinda do :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    "We met with the Nostalrius server guys last week, and we even had the opportunity to play on the server. It was kind of a moving experience to get to re-experience classic WoW."
    "We made a Stratholme run together. It was hilarious. John Hight, our production director, forgot that his pet was only level 8, so he’d go and pull, and it’d pull half the instance, and we’d wipe, and had to run back, and all that good stuff. So that’s really cool, and we like that idea, but it is extremely challenging to actually execute."

http://kotaku.com/blizzard-talks-wor...mor-1781753136

Someone else posted this link a few pages ago
    Interesting. I wonder how that happened considering that, again, the servers were already shut down much prior to that meeting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sähäri View Post
    Opening a vanilla server for LAN is very easy and anyone can do it. We used to goof around vanilla/tbc servers with my mates
    If you say so. Thanks.

Sounds to me like this threat is implying that Nostalrius will either release the code, which would be the most retarded thing for them to do considering they stated it's modified with anti-Cheat coding, releasing it would expose that information, or simply cause a tidal wave of Nost-rip offs to surge up, many which could be scams.. or they could simply announce plans to host the server in Russia, which is outside of Blizzard's, and the U.S.'s, copyright law jurisdiction.

The later would be most likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    But is it large enough for Blizzard to use time and energy? I will agree, that the playerbase of Nostalrius would be enough to pay for Blizzards servers and community support, but how long would it last? Blizzard would be forced to keep dumbing money into the projekt for people to keep playing, since many players would proberly not play the game after they had cleared the old raids and gotten themself some good gear, just like players leaves current WoW when there is a content draught.
    if it's tied into the regular wow subscription then there's no issue right? it would only increase the sub count, even may even generate extra sales of current expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    if it's tied into the regular wow subscription then there's no issue right?
    Yeah, there would be, considering that I, along with many others, don't like the idea of paying for two games but only playing one of them since we have no interest in the other. That's like buying a half-pepperoni, half-anchovies pizza, and eating only the pepperoni half, throwing the other half in the trash.