Like anyone actually thought they would. They announce shit at Blizzcon, they don't just talk about it. Announcing something that big was never going to happen this close to Legion launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis View Post
    That argument is nonsensical, because if players ask for vanilla server they are obviously asking for the vanilla with all the content from the expansion (which mean naxx patch vanilla). Why would people ask for a wow vanilla without all the raids ?

I think we have to think with a baby steps mentality here. If wow vanilla is successful then blizzard will have ample time to decide whether they want to dedicate a team expanding on wow vanilla or not (and eventually sell DLC for a vanilla server, clearly I think that it'd be great for blizzard to add new raids in the old wow with the old battle system). There is no point in speculating in something which hasn't been done.
    You're proving my point...there is no single "right" place to start with this. What is obvious to you, in this case your opinion, may not in fact be what everyone who wants a "vanilla" server wants. So how does Blizzard decide where to start, how many resources they should pour into this and what will they get for their trouble? Also, when you start adding DLC and other "extras" is it truly the legacy product that everyone said they wanted to begin with?

Speculating on things that haven't happened yet is key to the cost/benefit and risk analysis. You have to determine how likely something is to happen and decide what the risk is. If the risk here (losing money because resources are being put somewhere other than the current, retail product) outweighs the gains (how many people would actually pay for this product), then the decision is clear. Nobody outside of Blizzard has accurate information on this, outside of perhaps how many active users were on a free private servers, so we are all speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    Like anyone actually thought they would. They announce shit at Blizzcon, they don't just talk about it. Announcing something that big was never going to happen this close to Legion launch.
    I'm just glad we don't have to waste Q&A time on it.

Deleted
    legacy launch is not something "big"

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Still not a no, however.
    Right, they know better than to say no, even if the actual situation is that it's not going to happen right now. There's no need to piss the Legacy people off instead of just being vague and stringing them further along.
    Last edited by Mahourai; 2016-10-24 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZwuckeL View Post
    legacy launch is not something "big"
    Oh. So launching (essentially) a whole new WoW game is not big? Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    Right, they know better than to say no, even if the actual situation is that it's not going ot happen right now. There's no need to piss the Legacy people off instead of just being vague and stringing them further along.
    Right string them along until after Blizzcon then quietly shut them down later. That way they keep Blizzcon focused on Legion and Diablo and don't have to deal with potential Legacy backlash until later.

Deleted
    times sure are tough for indie devs!

Deleted
    Oh. So launching (essentially) a whole new WoW game is not big? Gotcha.
    No one but a small vocal minority gives a shit about legacy servers.

Big mistake.

The issue is only going to be continue and become stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Which is worse.
    Oh dear.

It's still a practice that lowers your overall profit per item sold, which is why is not a tactic used ad nauseam. And it's not a tactic that Blizzard needs to employ because WoW is still selling strong.
    Which can lead to increased bottom line profit. WoW is selling so strongly that they have stopped reporting its sales and the last year in which it was reported revenue was almost half a billion down from its peak. However even if this was not case why would strong sales prevent a company from exploring avenues that might lead to increased profitability?

... Why don't you just admit you don't know what you're talking about? Seriously, that question there is so telling. New, better hardware means the game needs to be updated to run on said hardware. Otherwise we'd still be playing on 320x240 screens, with old MS-DOS quality graphics. Speaking of which, why don't you try running an old game? Like, games from the MS-DOS/Windows 3.1 era. See if they run on Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10 or whichever Windows version you're using.
    The game does run on new hardware, even the hacked client used on private servers is capable of running on new hardware at high resolutions. But seriously what monitor has been released or will be released that will require patching WoW?

The moment you spoke about bundling two products together, offering one for free, you are talking about lowering profits.
    No, I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis View Post
    Please, players aren't idiot and know full well that the diablo I, II or warcraft I and II experience (they can buy on the bnet shop) are nothing like the modern iteration of the game.
    I would dispute your claim that players aren't idiots. Just look at No Man's Sky. :P

Seriously, though. Blizzard can't just market Legacy realms for the die-hard, hardcore Vanilla World of Warcraft players, because those are a finite resource. They need to think about how every possible newcomer who hasn't played World of Warcraft in any form must react, otherwise Legacy servers won't be sustainable long-term due the normal player churn all games, single or multiplayer, go through. And so they have to make sure the most accessible version of their game (Retail) is also the one most new players would try first. Making Legacy subscriptions cheaper than Retail would go against that idea, which is why I suspect if they do go for separate subscriptions they'll make them both the same price.

EDIT: the idea being that a player who played, became familiarized with the game, then got tired of Retail and wanted something different would try out Legacy.
    Last edited by Holtzmann; 2016-10-24 at 10:18 PM.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Big mistake.

LOL yeah okay

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion Fan View Post
    I'm not against it, I just don't think Blizz is for it. Almost 300k signatures wanting this, and they are hardly tripping over themselves to stand up a classic server.
    because of they make them lots of people will play it probably more then retail, and that's would be blizzard admitting a that the game got worse.

Deleted
    I would dispute your claim that players aren't idiots. Just look at No Man's Sky. :P

Seriously, though. Blizzard can't just market Legacy realms for the die-hard, hardcore Vanilla World of Warcraft players, because those are a finite resource. They need to think about how every possible newcomer who hasn't played World of Warcraft in any form must react, otherwise Legacy servers won't be sustainable long-term due the normal player churn all games, single or multiplayer, go through. And so they have to make sure the most accessible version of their game (Retail) is also the one most new players would try first. Making Legacy subscriptions cheaper than Retail would go against that idea, which is why I suspect if they do go for separate subscriptions they'll make them both the same price.
    What you have to understand is that the wow vanilla crow aren't die hard and hardcore in the slightest but rather are the players who play tabletop RPG, boardgames and games like league of legend, which was based of a warcraft III mod (the people Blizzard as a company catered to before their fusion with activision). Where legion tries mostly to cater to video games players.

But for all I know you could have separate subscriptions for the two games, that's not the issue.

Big mistake.

Am I the only one knowing how to read ? The guy is telling you an announcement will be made at some point after the blizzcon and that they are discussing stuff internally. Which is a huge leap from what we used to read from blizzard before on the topic.
    Last edited by mmoc18e6a734ba; 2016-10-24 at 10:27 PM.

Well, see you guys at the Nostalrius relaunch

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    Well, see you guys at the Nostalrius relaunch
    Save me some popcorn for the Nost people getting sued to oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Save me some popcorn for the Nost people getting sued to oblivion.
    You mean like those private servers hosted in Russia that have even more players than Nost? Oh wait, they haven't been sued. And neither will Nostalrius.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    You mean like those private servers hosted in Russia that have even more players than Nost? Oh wait, they haven't been sued. And neither will Nostalrius.
    Haha okay but this situation is a TAD different. Blizz knows who these people are and I'm sure can find them far easier than random people hosting a server in Russia.