Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Putin Says U.S. Isn’t Banana Republic, Must Get Over Itself

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...et-over-itself

Vladimir Putin dismissed U.S. “hysteria” over alleged Russian interference in its presidential elections, saying it was impossible to influence voters’ choice between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

“Does anyone seriously think that Russia can influence the choice of the American people?” President Putin told the annual Valdai discussion forum of international analysts and academics in Sochi on Thursday. “Is America some kind of banana republic? America is a great power. If I’m wrong, correct me.”

Amid rising confrontation with NATO, Putin insisted that Russia isn’t planning to attack anyone and said it was a “myth” that it poses a military threat. The North Atlantic Treaty Organization has outlived its usefulness, while Russia wants all nations to have equal security and isn’t striving for global domination, he said.

Putin spoke as tensions have spiraled between Russia and the U.S. over the conflicts in Syria and Ukraine and allegations that he’s seeking to sway the outcome of next month’s presidential vote. The Kremlin’s role has become one of the dominant topics in the campaign, amid U.S. charges that Russian-backed hackers were behind e-mail leaks from Democratic National Committee servers that have dogged Clinton’s campaign. She and Trump clashed over which was Putin’s “puppet’’ at last week’s debate. The Republican candidate has said repeatedly that he’ll seek good ties with Putin as president.
    Trump behaves “extravagantly, we all see it” though it’s not without purpose, since he represents a “significant” section of society in the U.S. “that’s tired of the elite who’ve been in power for decades,” Putin said.

It’s “complete rubbish” to say that Trump is the Kremlin’s preferred candidate, which was an idea invented by supporters of Clinton, Putin said. Russia doesn’t have a favorite candidate and is “by and large indifferent” about who wins the election because it’ll work with any U.S. president who’s prepared to offer cooperation, he said.

Complaints of Russian influence on the election are among “fictional, mythical problems that have created hysteria in the U.S -- I can’t call it anything else,” Putin said. While the U.S. faces many “acute and urgent problems, from its colossal state debt to the rise of gun violence,” it appears “the elite have nothing particular to say” about them in the elections, he said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah?! Well we think Putin should accept that Russia isn't even 3rd best anymore so they should stop trying to make themselves appear relevant.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Putin with another mic drop moment.

How the US politicians continue to fail is hilarious to see.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had no idea that anyone even thought the Russians had any influence over choosing between Mr. Shit and Mrs. Shinny Shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amid rising confrontation with [defensive alliance], [leader] insisted that [that leader's country] isn’t planning to attack anyone and said it was a “myth” that it poses a military threat. The [named defensive alliance] has outlived its usefulness, while [the same leader] wants all nations to have equal security and isn’t striving for global domination, he said.
    Is it just me, or... does this whole passage somehow feel... odd... leaving a sour taste? No matter who actually says it now (hence the blanks).

He is 100% right. Our media just hates it when there is someone they've been trained to hate who exposes them for what they are. The emails from Clinton's own campaign staff(leaked a couple weeks ago) gave a list of 20+ journalists who they could count on to write stories based on talking points they sent to them. It included all the major networks and newspapers(particularly cnn). So of course that doesn't get talked about by the media since it exposes them as shills for her campaign and they instead just blame Putin for interfering in us politics. Its our own media who has been interfering with our elections from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    He is 100% right. Our media just hates it when there is someone they've been trained to hate who exposes them for what they are. The emails from Clinton's own campaign staff(leaked a couple weeks ago) gave a list of 20+ journalists who they could count on to write stories based on talking points they sent to them. It included all the major networks and newspapers(particularly cnn). So of course that doesn't get talked about by the media since it exposes them as shills for her campaign and they instead just blame Putin for interfering in us politics. Its our own media who has been interfering with our elections from the start.
    Not only that but in carrying water for her and her completely anti Russian/Far East outlook they are in effect contributing to a hostile political environment and engaging in war efforts of the PsyOps kind.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    U.S. isn't banana republic, really? But... I eat bananas every day... Lies and slander!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    I had no idea that anyone even thought the Russians had any influence over choosing between Mr. Shit and Mrs. Shinny Shit.
    they don't. that might be hard to believe reading these forums tho.

I admittedly don't have a ton of knowledge on Putin, but I've recently started reading some of his comments and have watched some of his talks/debates/etc - particularly the one with that CNN anchor. He seems far less menacing than the media in America makes him out to be. Seems quite logical actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is full of Russian hackers and the KGB.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    This thread is full of Russian hackers and the KGB.
    my cover is blown!

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I admittedly don't have a ton of knowledge on Putin, but I've recently started reading some of his comments and have watched some of his talks/debates/etc - particularly the one with that CNN anchor. He seems far less menacing than the media in America makes him out to be. Seems quite logical actually.
    he seems polite enough, until you oppose him politically. His political opponents tend to wind up in jail... or the morgue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    he seems polite enough, until you oppose him politically. His political opponents tend to wind up in jail... or the morgue.
    Assad is even a better performer: that guy looks soft and friendly, almost asking for cuddles. Looks can be deceiving.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

America is a banana republic. Rigged voting, corrupt one-sided media, physical attacks on political supporters and massive, verifiable corruption of the ruling political party. Just because we have hamburgers, apple pie and the NFL doesn't mean the country isn't becoming a third world shithole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Putin with another mic drop moment.

How the US politicians continue to fail is hilarious to see.
    Yes, a former KGB member saying he doesn't know how to influence elections is a mic drop moment. Okay...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    America is a banana republic. Rigged voting, corrupt one-sided media, physical attacks on political supporters and massive, verifiable corruption of the ruling political party. Just because we have hamburgers, apple pie and the NFL doesn't mean the country isn't becoming a third world shithole.
    No, it's the life experience and quality of life numbers. Kinda like how in Russia retirement age is 65, but the male life expectancy is 64.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    I guess Putin would know all about banana republics.

And he is right about 1 thing: he can't influence our choice. He's trying, but it won't work.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Sorry, mate, but if you think that corruption, voting system and physical attacks on political supporters are somehow comparable to what you have in actual banana republics, then you are quite a bit detached from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    The Nimble Navigator has all the opportunity to utilize the same techniques but he can't. This is free press in action. I communicate to you, and you have all the right to deny my story but you want it to better your career. This is not the case in the Russian controlled media where dissent can get you poloniumed.

But did you ever question Trump getting in bed with Breitbart? Nope. Only Hilary uses the media for good attention because, you know, emails show it! It's not like a media member is helping to run his campaign or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by maomoa View Post
    The Nimble Navigator has all the opportunity to utilize the same techniques but he can't. This is free press in action. I communicate to you, and you have all the right to deny my story but you want it to better your career. This is not the case in the Russian controlled media where dissent can get you poloniumed.

But did you ever question Trump getting in bed with Breitbart? Nope. Only Hilary uses the media for good attention because, you know, emails show it! It's not like a media member is helping to run his campaign or anything.
    You honestly think that Trump's campaign could literally get anyone besides maybe a handful of people at Foxnews to literally write articles based around talking points that his campaign sent them? I am against the whole idea of that regardless of who the candidate is. Our media should not be extensions of and shills of presidential campaigns. You have most of the most well known journalists at cnn, abc, bcs and the nyt all willingly writing articles based on narratives that the Clinton campaign want to project to the public. Fox is semi disgusting themselves but keep in mind most people already know they lean to the right and they didn't really get fully on board with the idea of a Trump presidency with the exception of Hannity until all the other rep candidates dropped out. cnn has been publishing non stop pro Hillary op eds since even before she formally announced she was running for potus. On average at least one a month while I don't recall seeing any pro actively endorsing any other candidate over that time. Its just 'here's yet another article on why you should vote for Hillary'.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2016-10-27 at 08:33 PM.