Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Question EU forum thread that surprised me a lot

I know forums can be an echo chamber with only people with similar interests posting there, "validating" their own posts and whatnot.

Either way, this thread from the official WoW EU forums surprised me, and surely didn't give me a good impression of what seems to be the "more popular opinion."

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/t...3773942?page=1

The original post states following,

Hi, I just wondered if you knew that a LOT of players in WoW actually are scared of interacting with people and uses the game to have some kind of contact with other people?

That a lot of players have soloed the WHOLE game, questing, grinding, running dungeons solo when they reach a lvl that allow them to clear one a lot lower than themselves?

That these players actually take pride in their characters, their professions and their achievements? Did you know that they also need their professions to scale their level so that they can handle themselves SOLO? Did you also know that they want to experience the game that they pay the exact same amount of their hard earned gold/RL money as a hardcore raider do?

But Legion did something to the professions and to the game progress. It forces you into dungeons, mythics and raids to get those last points, that last artifact, those patterns you need to reach 800 and so on.

Do we get some portion of our money/gold back because we are forced to do something we for the life of us DON'T want or CAN'T do just to keep up with the rest of the players? The players that terrify us with their kicking out of raid because we don't fit/do enough/are scared/don't wear top notch gear... Way to go with "buffing" our already busted egos...

Atleast give us an option to do something else for a "lesser" pattern or campaign...
    So far it has gained 88 upvotes. Many more posts after agreeing with the original poster is gaining a lot of support as well.

Personally, I'm not that fond of the trend to completely make World of Warcraft into a solo experience. It's honestly beyond me that people choose to play an MMO and expecting it to be a solo game.

Of course, the genre is changing because people are, but is socially awkwardness and fear of interactions honestly something to start catering too THAT much?

As you said, echo chamber. There are just as many counter arguments as there are upvotes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Time to post a perhaps equally non-popular opinion, but WoW was never intended to be a solo player game. It has been marketed and developed as an MMORPG. That does not mean you can't play solo, period, but it does mean the game was designed around interaction with other people on some levels.

This whole 'I want this because I say so' culture my generation is creating in this world of false entitlement and self-righteousness shouldn't cut it with a developer like Blizzard. Or any developer for that matter. And I'm actually happy that so many changes were made to the way content requires groups now. Go Blizz! World of Garrisonville sucked.

If you want a solo player game that you can min-max or mod to your own personal wishes, go play an Elder Scrolls of Fallout game. Those were made to be single player and to be altered to fit your needs with mod support. If you wish to play WoW because you like the warcraft setting and the story it tells that is fine too. Just don't expect it to be catered to your needs and throw a hissy fit about it when something gets changed to be more in line with what the game actually is meant to be.

They could always have solo dungeons and solo raids! It wouldn't be too hard for them to do it as one of the class stories puts us in a group with NPC's so I know its doable ..

Heck they even have proving grounds so that could be expanded on .. Large scale months long solo stories that require hundreds of hours of game play?

It sounds like the guy who posted that thread on WoW forums would enjoy a BioWare game more ,,, but I kind of understand him ..

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Of course, the genre is changing because people are, but is socially awkwardness and fear of interactions honestly something to start catering too THAT much?
    its not abut social akwardnes and fear of interaction - its all about mythic dungeons community being extremly cancerous and toxic - if even high geared players like 870 + are declined atm from random groups then casuals who are around 840-850 can forget about geting inside and finishing those quests

there was 0 reason to gate stuff behind mythic dungeons and normal raids yet blizzard did that - guess what 80 % of community do not do those activities , never did and never will - and guess what they are rightfully pissed about it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reica View Post
    This whole 'I want this because I say so' culture my generation is creating in this world of false entitlement and self-righteousness shouldn't cut it with a developer like Blizzard. Or any developer for that matter. And I'm actually happy that so many changes were made to the way content requires groups now. Go Blizz! World of Garrisonville sucked.
    its also what makes world moving - just like in qny part of life - constant progress is inevitable - its all about adapt to new way of life/gaming or stay in past and be forgotten - wow is atm on very good way to be forgoten just like everquest/ultima were no matter how big they were at their prime time. its quite clear atm that games like diablo/wow are atm dinosaurs while hearthstone&overwatch are future for blizzard.

Deleted
    People have different definitions of what an MMO is, for me its not group content, it just means there is other people around in the same universe that you can interact with if you wish, but that should no way be forced on people.

The game has gotten so toxic the last few expansions, that i would honestly buy an solo version of this game as well if it was available, and just have "bots" run around instead of actual players to make the game feel somewhat alive.

And saying people should play games like Fallout instead is really pointless, it has none of the lore/classes/gameplay/graphic style of wow.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    its also what makes world moving - just like in qny part of life - constant progress is inevitable - its all about adapt to new way of life/gaming or stay in past and be forgotten - wow is atm on very good way to be forgoten just like everquest/ultima were no matter how big they were at their prime time. its quite clear atm that games like diablo/wow are atm dinosaurs while hearthstone&overwatch are future for blizzard.
    It's making the world take a giant leap backwards. We went from cardgames to computerized masterpieces back to cardgames, this time on a PC.

I get that companies are catering to the masses. It's where money can be made. That is why there are games 'for the masses' like hearthstone and overwatch. WoW is just not one of them. If that will cause it to die out over the next couple of years so be it. It had a long run and I've always had good fun playing it. More so than I'll ever have fun playing an online cardgame or a shoot-em-up. If I want to play a competitive shooter I'll go back to Counter Strike of the good old days.

why would a solo player feel the urge to keep up with other players? very stupid. he is a solo guy, and nothing he does affects anyone else. Nobody forces him to get anywere. Just the fact that it is a multiplayer game, means that some stuff cannot be done solo.
    I dont get the reason of playing a multiplayer game with the intent to the content from 2 years ago solo, but now the solo players can reasonably farm stuff like sha mount and pandaria raids solo. In 2 years, they can farm wod raids solo. In another 2 years, legion raids can be soloed.

But i, for the heck of it, cannot understand what there concept of wow is.

Are this guys mentally ill, and risk a mental breakdown when joining a group? How to they get their shopping for food done in real life?

Deleted
    They could start by either a) changing all the quests that require you to do a mythic to require a heroic instead, so people can use the dungeon finder, or b) putting mythics on the dungeon finder.

The dungeon finder is a safe middle ground for people who are scared to, or just have absolutely no intention to interact with random people in this game. You don't have to talk to anyone in those dungeons. You don't need "permission" from anyone to get into those groups. If you've got the ilvl to get the dungeons open in the dungeon finder then you're good to go. Very few people will be kicked out because of low DPS or low ilvl or some other elitist asshole reason like that.

That way, people could get their dumb profession quests, which have no business requiring dungeons in the first place, done, and can continue their solo adventures.

its not abut social akwardnes and fear of interaction - its all about mythic dungeons community being extremly cancerous and toxic - if even high geared players like 870 + are declined atm from random groups then casuals who are around 840-850 can forget about geting inside and finishing those quests
    Just wondering, if you were hiring for a job and you have 20 applicants and all you have to go on is the resume, would you not pick the one that looks the best to you? This is the same thing that happens in the group finder. You get flooded with applications.

I'm an 860 mage and have an 855 prot warrior. I make mythic groups and only ask 815. Not everyone in the mythic community is cancerous as you put it. I've only run into a handful of bad mouthed players and yet to run into the "give me loot or we kick you" group. Not saying they don't exist, but it just seems it's blown WAY out of proportion to me.

I often queue up into mythics with my healer friend to help low ilvl dps groups through because i know how painful it is to sign up as a dps.

Should note, if you do join my group and don't speak up about not knowing what to do or if you have never been in the dungeon before and cause everyone to die, that's when I take issue. I have no problem if you say so at the start so that I'm prepared and can explain things.

Do we get some portion of our money/gold back because we are forced to do something we for the life of us DON'T want or CAN'T do just to keep up with the rest of the players? The players that terrify us with their kicking out of raid because we don't fit/do enough/are scared/don't wear top notch gear... Way to go with "buffing" our already busted egos...
    I HATE this mentality. Does it say anywhere on the official WoW site that the game is made so that you can complete everything solo in a goddamn multiplayer game? "wahh i dont want to go out of my basement and interact like a human being!". Blizzard isn't a psychologist responsible for nursing your feeble mind. "scared" to queue for a dungeon, come on!
    That guy on the forum even has the audacity to ask for money back because he can't be bothered to do instances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji
    "lets loose quik" is the only alliance pride I am aware of

I agree with the poster that profession this go around are rather stupid, the threee star thing isn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelie View Post
    The game has gotten so toxic the last few expansions, that i would honestly buy an solo version of this game as well if it was available, and just have "bots" run around instead of actual players to make the game feel somewhat alive.
    Wouldn't that imply that the game was far better back then because "forced" grouping and content was the norm? And this toxicity has appeared more after these last expansions because it started to cater more and more to these solo people?

10+ Year Old Account

there was 0 reason to gate stuff behind mythic dungeons and normal raids yet blizzard did that - guess what 80 % of community do not do those activities , never did and never will - and guess what they are rightfully pissed about it

- - - Updated - - -

Why does everyone spew this bullshit? I've gotten groups without a problem at various ilvl brackets; I'm up to 864 now, (without stepping into EN HC/M nor any Mythic+ higher than 6) and I get invited very frequently. Most groups ask for 840+ nowadays unless they're going for 5+ or 3 chest runs. This is all by my-fucking-self and less than 2 hours of play a day.

This is kind of silly. I get that people don't like grouping and all, so far I've used the group finder once this expansion for the attunements to kara. But if I bought an FPS and only played through single player campaign, I wouldn't be asking for partial refund because I refuse to do multiplayer. This is one of the reasons I didn't get battleborn - I wasn't interested in PvP and I didn't think the coop/pve content was enough for the price. Simple as that.
    Wow has always had content intended for groups, if they don't like it they should ask themselves if the content they do like is worth the full price.

That all said, I don't like profession quests in dungeons (unless those were some optional recipes, not basic stuff like potions/flasks).

It forces you into dungeons, mythics and raids to get those last points, that last artifact, those patterns you need to reach 800 and so on.
    running dungeons solo when they reach a lvl that allow them to clear one a lot lower than themselves
    What's the problem, wait for next expansion and farm those last artifacts and patterns solo.

I have an opposite issue — there's so much sources of dungeon loot (equipment needed to progress in dungeons) out of dungeons so I as more-or-less-serious raider am obliged to farm those sources to not completely suck. Those sources were added catering to complete casuals "to feel progression", but now they whine even more demanding mythic ilvls from non-raid activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Cariboulou View Post
    I HATE this mentality. Does it say anywhere on the official WoW site that the game is made so that you can complete everything solo in a goddamn multiplayer game? "wahh i dont want to go out of my basement and interact like a human being!". Blizzard isn't a psychologist responsible for nursing your feeble mind. "scared" to queue for a dungeon, come on!
    That guy on the forum even has the audacity to ask for money back because he can't be bothered to do instances.
    An MMO is an alternate world game. It's like the real world but in a game, everyone are free to experience it the way they like. No one should be forced to multiplayer if they don't want to, just like you shouldn't be forced to run a 5 man party to go to the grocery store in real life. It's your definition of an MMO that is off mate.

- - - Updated - - -

Link source to back up your claim that 80% don't do mythic and normal Raids.

If being declined from a group is reason to fear social interaction then that person needs serious help.

Most people only become Cancerous and toxic when people expect them to carry, don't know anything about the content they want to do etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    I know forums can be an echo chamber with only people with similar interests posting there, "validating" their own posts and whatnot.

Either way, this thread from the official WoW EU forums surprised me, and surely didn't give me a good impression of what seems to be the "more popular opinion."

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/t...3773942?page=1

The original post states following,

So far it has gained 88 upvotes. Many more posts after agreeing with the original poster is gaining a lot of support as well.

Personally, I'm not that fond of the trend to completely make World of Warcraft into a solo experience. It's honestly beyond me that people choose to play an MMO and expecting it to be a solo game.

my personal experience is that peoples change and grown up and are less interested into the social aspect of the game, personally i've changed alot since the day i've started playing this game, back then wasn't a problem being involved with other, having to conform to a schedule, having to deal with guilds drama etc.

Nowadays it is i don't really want that anymore, after a day of work i cannot be arsed to deal with other peoples need, schedules, dramas; i just want to log play a game in a relaxing way for two hours and then log off.

What i expect blizzard to do is continue to provide different way to experience the game if lfr/lfd wouldn't have been introduced i would have quit the game since patch 4.2 i've only stayed because they provided me the tool to experience it the way i like, this is also why the longest hiatus i had was 6-7 month in wod.

I already see legion heading the same way and i'm getting more and more tired of playing; i will wait to see what kind of news come from blizzcon and then probably unsub until some new catch up mechanics are in place to lessen the grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalamander View Post
    An MMO is an alternate world game. It's like the real world but in a game, everyone are free to experience it the way they like. No one should be forced to multiplayer if they don't want to, just like you shouldn't be forced to run a 5 man party to go to the grocery store in real life. It's your definition of an MMO that is off mate.
    MMO. Massively multiplayer online. Multiplayer.
    Like the real world? Are you on something? The game was made to be played with other people, not you to solo like a zelda game.
    You getting anxiety attacks just because someone targeted your character doesn't make you right. You SHOULD be forced to multiplayer in a multiplayer game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji
    "lets loose quik" is the only alliance pride I am aware of