Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    WoW 2 is already here. Most of the graphics are updated, all they really need to do is upres a few of the old NPC models and clean up some really old zones and it'll be up to snuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Deleted
    Do we need a new WoW? Last time i checked this one was doing great... Sure, it's old, but still in good shape.

Plus, Overwatch engine is Windows only... WoW has lots of Mac players and historically, Blizzard has supported Mac's for almost all of their major games (being Overwatch the only exception)...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    Isn't that pretty much what Wildstar is?
    wildstar looks WORSE than wow and with a shittier engine as well in terms of possibilities in gameplay.

The only reason I see them abandoning WoW is if they are just flat out of ideas. The only chance a WoW 2 would have to be as successful is if they allowed people to port their existing characters over too it. Lord knows how many people continue to play WoW instead of another game currently simply because of the gear, gold, achievements and time they have invested into it. If they had to start completely over, I think they would have a much harder time of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Did you wonder how do they manage to keep building and buidling on it? Old structure, doesn't mean bad structure. Old structure, especially in software, doesn't mean - unable to change. In software - everything can be changed. Sometimes you make changes over the years, sometimes you make them more frequently.
    Thats not true. Tehnology changed a lot in the last 14 years. Character gear, bag and bank are hardcoded. Hardcore something like that today would just be stupid. Back then it was a very good solution. Most complex software is updateable to a certain point, maybe 6 months maybe 1 year maybe 10. WoW is pushing that limit but there is only so much they can do until certain features, that were best practice back in the days, start presenting a problem.

And to answer why WoW doesn't use the overwatch engine is the same reason WoW doesn't use the same engine as the Witcher 3, Fallout 4 or the latest Call of Duty(fuck me if i know what number is it now). There is a lot of server communication and a hugh amount of number crunching. Those engine can't handle shit like that or rather your PC can't handle engines like that processing so many numbers while rendering frames at acceptable levels. You will not use the same engine for every type of game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Those are the exact same thing workload-wise. It will not happen.
    ROFL no they aren't... Designing a whole new game from the ground up vs re-launching something that is already done is not anywhere near the same thing workload wise... Even if they have to rebuild their server software for classic servers from scratch it's still not the same workload for making a new engine(even if they skipped that), doing art/graphics, story design, making all new quests, zone redesigns, new dungeons, new raids, complete ground up class redesigns, new NPCs, etc... Not even close to the same workload, making a whole new game in WoW2 would take an immense amount more dev time/money than classic servers ever could... You might as well have just claimed 10 and 10,000,000 are the same thing.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-10-29 at 07:01 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean... It would just be Destiny with Medieval weapons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    wildstar looks WORSE than wow and with a shittier engine as well in terms of possibilities in gameplay.
    I'll be honest, as much as I disliked Wildstar, it's Engine always felt great.

Deleted
    WoW2 would suck. A lot.
    I hope Blizzard makes a new MMO one day. But I hope it's not WoW2 and I hope it's at least 5-6 years from now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WildberryFan View Post
    Forget classic/legacy/vanilla severs,we need a new Wow.I really don't like Overwatch's art style,but I hope they make another Warcraft game on that engine.
    What do you guys think?
    Hah.. hahahah.....hahahahahahaha...

The first part, "Forget classic/legacy/vanilla severs,we need a new Wow", convince people first.

Secondly, the Overwatch engine was meant to have been for an MMO, just unknown of what kind - that was project titan's engine.

Though, see how Overwatch can give some better computers a run for their rams, I think an MMO might be a little tougher on the smaller ones.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Did you wonder how do they manage to keep building and buidling on it? Old structure, doesn't mean bad structure. Old structure, especially in software, doesn't mean - unable to change. In software - everything can be changed. Sometimes you make changes over the years, sometimes you make them more frequently.
    Ofc things can be changed... However, said changes should be cost-effective, otherwise no one touches some parts of the code for ages, cuz it'll lead to an overhaul of some subsystem, module, etc. No one will ever do that until it HAS TO be done, cuz there's no other way.

There's one really common issue w/ pretty much any code that was written in early 00s and late 90s, it's often shit, no one cared about scalability, extensibility, etc, especially in gamedev and enterprise. Too much hardcode, and things tend to be all over the place T_T

Unfortunately WoW is no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    i think you underestimate the wow fanbase, the MAJORITY of them will follow whatever Blizzard does, these are the 4 mil or less people who never unsub. Realistically though, we'll never see a WoW 2, maybe a new MMO by blizzard, but not a WoW 2.
    naw, i remember this convo back when it happened concerning EQ. Yes a number of die hards jump ship to EQ2 but some refused to leave EQ1 and it just split everything. The whole series took a hit and most really just jump ship to a totally different game. You might have heard of the game that took hold of those players.... a relative no name everyone assumed would flop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then again, I doubt we would get a new version of WoW when I see complaints about updated models and spells.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    I mean... It would just be Destiny with Medieval weapons.

Uhh, not really... Just because they use the same engine doesn't mean it has to be in first person...

An engine can power a ton of different kinds of games... Look at Frostbite3 for example, it is the base for FPS and third person shooters (BF4, BF1, Hardline, Battlefront, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect Andromeda, PvZ), while also working fine for racing games (Need for Speed: Rivals) and third person action RPGs (Dragon Age Inquisition)...

Look at all the games made in the source engine, there's FPS, TPS, Top down shooters, MOBAs, Action RPGs, RTS,

The Unreal Engine has been just as versatile, so has CryEngine.

A game engine is not something limited to one genre... You can build pretty much any type of game out of anything.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-10-29 at 07:23 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

So long as it doesn't affect the smooth gameplay that gives WoW an edge over most (but not all) other MMOs.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Though, see how Overwatch can give some better computers a run for their rams, I think an MMO might be a little tougher on the smaller ones.
    Like with game engines not being limited to specific genres, a game engine can also either run a game that is very graphically intensive, or not, the engine doesn't determine how much power it takes to run (not entirely)... There are MMOs built in CryEngine that take far less hardware to run than Crysis did on the same engine, and also look worse/nothing like crysis... The developer chooses how much it takes to run the game by how they design the graphics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Overwatch is an MMO...
    No it's not, it's essentially a MOBA shooter with matchmaking... this is like calling LoL or HotS an MMO, they aren't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Overwatch is an MMO...
    No, it isn't. More a lobby game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Like with game engines not being limited to specific genres, a game engine can also either run a game that is very graphically intensive, or not, the engine doesn't determine how much power it takes to run (not entirely)... There are MMOs built in CryEngine that take far less hardware to run than Crysis did on the same engine, and also look worse/nothing like crysis... The developer chooses how much it takes to run the game by how they design the graphics.
    That I know, else that engine wouldn't have been considered for an MMO idea in the first place. Was just more, if WoW were to be remade at the full setting of Overwatch, some would be running high.

If this was true as you say, WoW wouldn't last for 5 years. "No one" doesn't really mean no one - it means majority. Blizzard isn't really a majority.
    Please, Blizzard is one of many. And WoW isn't known for being well-written, to change even simple things in older subsystems devs have to go places.

And don't overdramatise, projects written this way successfully exist for years and decades, devs rewrite old code, update things, etc, but it happens much and much slower than it could, cuz that "HAS TO be done" moment is postponed till it's literally impossible to avoid it. Been there, done that T_T
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-10-29 at 08:20 AM.

God no. I don't need a simplistic kiddy weeb attracting looking WoW. It would look like SWToR, those graphics were half of what turned me off of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    God no. I don't need a simplistic kiddy weeb attracting looking WoW.
    Wut? WoW was always this way o_O

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW2 would be an insane idea. Why would you completely scrap 12 years of class design, balancing, content design and lore to make a sequel game and start over? Wouldn't make sense.