Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    Amazing. An attempt at causality and you ignore causality? SMFH The fact that said hoodrat banger became a hoodrat banger is because hoodrat banger had bad parents to begin with. Spanking makes no difference when you let your kids become shit. In other words, you needed to spank because you didn't teach your child.
    Straw manning at its finest here folks. You implied I simply followed your thought process. No worries bud.

I don't think I have seen anyone in this thread, and sure as hell not me, say that "spanking" is the one and ONLY method of disciplining a child....that is fine though you keep trying to prop up your argument however you need to because you look and sound like a moron.

#SMMFH

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Thug inner city culture is a whole other issue. The issue with that is entitlements handouts and a poor social structure within the communities of good for nothings
    No. Thug inner city culture is pretty much a parenting (or lack thereof) problem. What happens is you have families who aren't there, whether it be a missing father or some other reason. Of this set, there are two subsets of individuals. One is the wannabe. His family exists--they love the child but they aren't always there. Thus, this child, like any child elsewhere, is more susceptible to pop culture where pop culture in the hood is Ruthless vs. Bad Boy instead of Red Hot Chili Peppers and MTV. At their worst, these kids fuck up early in life doing petty shit and being emotionally needy (most commonly with affirmation by a significant other) before finding themselves in their early to late 20's. The other subset of kids are the kids where parenting was nonexistent. They become victims to their surroundings and live lives as hoodrats.

So, "entitlement handouts" are irrelevant. You had boatloads of FOBS who ate up welfare and evaded taxes yet raised some pretty great disciplined kids gobbling up admission to all the best schools (arguably what everyone should strive to be). Raising a thug is a parental problem. Physical discipline is a parental problem. It isn't "a whole other issue".

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a huge fan of spanking my kids and reserve it for when they are doing something dangerous or blatantly disrespectful to their mother.

My 'parents' were real pieces of shit as well, OP. Unfortunately, you can't stop horrible people from getting together and exchanging DNA. CPS/cops/justice system only stepped in after being sent to the ER for the third fucking time as a small child because you really had to beat the living shit out of your child for it to be considered abuse back in the early 80's.

I believe it can be harder, but I think children can be well-educated without the use of physical punishment. Children can be taught to discuss things with reason and understand the motives behind actions. It also gives way to parents to think their actions better.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    No. People who say otherwise simply don't understand psychology and what hitting/spanking means to a child.

There have been extensive studies done in many many places by many different groups on the issue of spanking/hitting as a means of discipline and upbringing, and there's a clear consensus that it is harmful to children.

It's been illegal (although not a criminal offense afaik) for decades here. Hitting your children would be a great way to get shunned by society and friends and likely have child services get really interested in your case. Only people I'd imagine hitting their kids here would be dysfunctional alcoholic bums and similar trash.
    Hey guys i believe every study i read because they are all 100% true. DUH! On a serious note though i have read studies about something being good for you and then a year later seeing another study that it gives you cancer.. so if you want to believe what others tell you without questioning anything than go ahead.. im sure you are religious as well and believe whatever the church tell you to believe too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    I believe it can be harder, but I think children can be well-educated without the use of physical punishment. Children can be taught to discuss things with reason and understand the motives behind actions. It also gives way to parents to think their actions better.
    Do you have children? My bet is no.

Obediance and fear. Obviously not very nice but useless? Eh, debatable.

I was hit as a child and i have a massive authority problem. I get TRIGGERED just by someone telling me what to do. So it didn't work on me at all.

There are times when hitting your kid is appropriate:

MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Yes because clearly you know better than some schmucks who have actually done research and looked at the evidence
    We got us a sheep here guys. All he can say is "Studies show" Like how about you figure out what is best for your kid and not listen to what some random people say. For all you know the person doing the study is a weirdo who touches kids and doesn't know his ass from his face.

Deleted
    Ah, a gold old "kid smacking" thread. Where half the posters think an occasional even-handed smack on the bum equates to a brutal prison yard beat-down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    topkek. I know these types who just dodge questions and arguments and claim opposite being mad. 5/7

Thanks for this, didn't know the term but knew there was something!
    call it how you will, but if you use your brain for once and read OP then you would know we dont talk here about a lil bonk on the head

maybe you should go back to imgur with your silly memes and complain there if you only call people strawman when you dont wanna feel bad about your parental ways "topkek 5/7"
    Last edited by Nnyco; 2016-10-31 at 06:53 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Ah, a gold old "kid smacking" thread. Where half the posters think an even-handed smack on the bum equates to a brutal prison yard beat-down.
    That's because they were probably beaten as a kid or assaulted or are just stupid and do not know the difference between proper spanking and a beating. I would hate to meet these peoples kids lol. Parents forget you aren't supposed to be your kids "Friend" you are their parent and it is your job to make sure they grow into a respectable human being at whatever cost. Some kids are worse than others and need more attention but from what i see in public there are a lot of horrid parents who should have never procreated on this planet. I am sure a ton of them are on these forums right now talking like they know anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kevincuomo View Post
    We got us a sheep here guys. All he can say is "Studies show" Like how about you figure out what is best for your kid and not listen to what some random people say. For all you know the person doing the study is a weirdo who touches kids and doesn't know his ass from his face.
    And how does one do this?

You're encouraging people to reinvent the wheel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    It teaches the child to fear and loathe the parent.
    Bollocks. This is simply an assertion that many people can dispel easily.

I was hit occasionally as a child (I even got a shoe across the arse once for throwing stones at cars). I have a great relationship with both my parents. I eat Christmas dinner with them every year, I've voluntarily gone on holiday with them, and I just bought them a new bed that they couldn't afford, because my dad has hip problems and the old one was keeping him awake with pain.

Poof. There goes your assertion.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-10-31 at 06:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, a gold old "kid smacking" thread. Where half the posters think an occasional even-handed smack on the bum equates to a brutal prison yard beat-down.
    No, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by kevincuomo View Post
    That's because they were probably beaten as a kid or assaulted or are just stupid and do not know the difference between proper spanking and a beating. I would hate to meet these peoples kids lol. Parents forget you aren't supposed to be your kids "Friend" you are their parent and it is your job to make sure they grow into a respectable human being at whatever cost. Some kids are worse than others and need more attention but from what i see in public there are a lot of horrid parents who should have never procreated on this planet. I am sure a ton of them are on these forums right now talking like they know anything.
    Or we just had great childhoods where our parents didn't need to smack us because they actually knew how to parent so we turned out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    It's illegal anyway now but still, do you think physical discipline teaches anything?
    Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Negative reinforcement has positive and negative ramifications, just as in positive reinforcement. There is a lot of emphasis focused upon the swift act of a spanking, but less often do people consider "physical discipline" to include standing in the corner or confinement to a room or sent outside to work (or even to play) and so forth. The thump to the back of the head can be highly appropriate when no further explanation is necessary (like cursing at the table, something that is an established rule and has been discussed more than a few dozen times) and sends the message of disapproval with something that grabs the attention, but is over and done with right then and there.

Negative reinforcement is for setting the worst thresholds of behavior before punishment begins, whereas positive sets the bar for best behavior that presents rewards. Both exist in the real world in spades and will need proper navigation. Just as rewards can be gratuitous, punishments can be nefarious, so wisdom and discretion are necessary in their usage. But there is nothing inherently wrong with striking a child anymore than the discomforts of other punishments, provided the actions are reasonable and appropriate for the acts of the child and the boundaries you wish to set. Nothing stops me from hugging my child and saying "I love you" after I've given him a good spanking for whatever it is he's done. That's something I think people forget still exists, but sadly I think many have forgotten about that coach that rode them hard to improve but still fostered a healthy relationship with them and don't realize negative and positive work together quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    no. when i was no more than 7 or 8 my dad hit me with the whip of a fishing rod just for being cheeky (no swearing at all) to my mum & its something you never forget. i lost all respect for him that day.
    This is probably a case of your dad getting boiled over and i'm sure it wasn't the only thing you did that day to piss him off. You cant sit here and say since your dad hit you like this that spanking your kid is bad period, that would make you narrow minded and stupid. Also, if you still have zero respect for your dad because of this incident then you need to stop holding grudges and move on with your life, your feelings got hurt boo hoo get over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bollocks. This is simply an assertion that many people can dispel easily.

I was hit occasionally as a child (I even got a shoe across the arse once for throwing stones at cars). I have a great relationship with both my parents. I eat Christmas dinner with them every year, I've been on holiday with them (as an adult), and I just bought them a new bed that they couldn't afford because my dad has hip problems and the old one was keeping him awake with pain.

Poof. There goes your assertion.
    It doesn't have to be true in all cases. My dad hit me a few times - not too hard, just 'standard parenting', and I had a rocky relationship with him because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Or we just had great childhoods where our parents didn't need to smack us because they actually knew how to parent so we turned out fine.
    Like i said, all kids are different and some kids never need a spanking. You cant say NO kid should be spanked that is a statement that is beyond ignorant.