Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Haha, you can lie to me for your own ego's sake if you want to.

You ignored it because you know damned well its a reality of your ideology, one you cant muster a defense for, and so to acknowledge it means you would have to suffer a scratch that impenetrable armor of ignorance you wear.
    "Liberal indoctrination being incompatible with the workforce" is a reality of my ideology, apparently. Couldn't have anything to do with things like wage suppression, employment market saturation, or an aging population...it's just 'dem libruls'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Apparently he has a bachelor's degree in the social sciences from the University of Oregon.
    /thread

10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone with a degree finds a job in their field, as having a degree doesn't necessarily mean that you are of interest to potential employers - it is also about what you actually did while studying, as well as how good you are at job searching. So, of course, there are people with degrees working at Starbucks or Subway. I doubt it is the norm though.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Guy working at Subway with a bachelor's degree in transgender poly-sci femi-ethnic relation playground construction; is this the new norm?
    I did laugh at this, admittedly.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Millennials are harder working than the two generations before them, and more frugal than the two generations before them. The problem is the economy, not millennials. It isn't 1958 anymore. There aren't strong unions fighting for workers' rights. There isn't a culture of worker investment in corporations today. Workers are considered expendable. The older generations aren't retiring at the rate they used to, which is blocking millennials out of higher positions. Where did this garbage situation come from? Hint: It didn't come from millennials, because these are trends that started in the 70s, and really blossomed in the 80s. The two previous generations, primarily the boomers, burned the bridges that the greatest generation built for them.
    I'm glad you said the part in bold.

The company I'm with is actively incentivizing older employees to stay on with some pretty impressive compensations.

That's a switch from the previous ways of business where firing the old guy to get the young blood to do his job cheaper was the move.

Now I'm all for accepting there's more than one cause to and solution for a problem.

Sure you could say that there's problems inside the workplace that make it hard for millennials once they get there.

But my whole point is these radicalized individuals are doing everything they personally can to make themselves toxic to the point where they wont even get to the part to experience the things you were talking about.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    But my whole point is these radicalized individuals are doing everything they personally can to make themselves toxic to the point where they wont even get to the part to experience the things you were talking about.
    Which is unsubstantiated because there's no evidence to suggest as such. Especially considering how productive millennials tend to be when they actually -get- employment.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Based on this information, you're making quite a few assumptions.

He stated that he's applying for Master's Programs, so maybe the Subway Job was the best fit for him before he gets accepted and goes. There could be better jobs out there, but would require a bigger commitment that he can't make.

When it comes to professional jobs, i've noticed many things.

1. I was a dumbass for not doing internships.
    2. Temp/Contract is where it's act, but only because it's the ONLY WAY.
    3. Networking Matters. Like, a LOT. My recent assignment ended but I was able to secure an interview in Richmond for a much better job, but only because an old friend knew someone that knew someone that could expedite my application/resume.
    4. Certifications in something as simple as the one Microsoft gives up for passing a test in Excel makes you stand out. Like, A LOT.
    The difference in callbacks i've gotten between Janurary and now is massive.
    5.Iowa sucks ass for young people, but I imagine it's the same in many other places. You need to be open to relocation to other cities and States to up your chances. Easier said than done, I know.
    I made no assumptions, I genuinely wanted to know if this was the norm. Hence the thread. Those are all good points regarding professional work, however.

The company I'm with is actively incentivizing older employees to stay on with some pretty impressive compensations.

That's a switch from the previous ways of business where firing the old guy to get the young blood to do his job cheaper was the move.

Now I'm all for accepting there's more than one cause to and solution for a problem.

Sure you could say that there's problems inside the workplace that make it hard for millennials once they get there.

1. I don't care about where you work, at all, ever, for any reason. Learn the difference between anecdotes and data.

2. People aren't retiring because the economy sucks, the 401K system has turned out to be a joke, and the 2008 collapse obliterated a lot of pensions. It has nothing to do with old blood versus young blood.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, the fact that you ignored that the data shows that humanities and social science degrees are not much more popular than they used to be, which is the underpinning of your entire argument, shows how intellectually dishonest and bankrupt you are. Your entire argument rests on something which has been demonstrated to be false.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't have a STEM degree this is fairly common. Its better that he actually is working at Subway...most of the people I know just look for jobs forever while living at home with no job at all. The social sciences are a great stepping stone to grad school. Personally I earned my BS in a social science and then did my grad school in GIS which is considered STEM by some people, but it gets me above most of the other bachelor social science job hunters.

Figure everyone* has a college degree now. Its no longer about the degree, but more about what you get it in.

Edit: It also depends on where you're looking for jobs. My wife and I plan on moving to one specific city so we know it will be tough to get jobs, but we expect it and have prepared for a long job hunt. If you are willing to move jobs come a lot easier.
    Last edited by Aeriedk; 2016-11-01 at 06:50 PM.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I made no assumptions, I genuinely wanted to know if this was the norm. Hence the thread. Those are all good points regarding professional work, however.
    My mistake then.

But yes, a lot of grads feel they're underemployed. Whether or not they are is kind of a hit-and-miss.

Just because you get an undergrad doesn't mean you'll be productive in certain settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeriedk View Post
    If you don't have a STEM degree this is fairly common. Its better that he actually is working at Subway...most of the people I know just look for jobs forever while living at home with no job at all. The social sciences are a great stepping stone to grad school. Personally I earned my BS in a social science and then did my grad school in GIS which is considered STEM by some people, but it gets me above most of the other bachelor social science job hunters.

Figure everyone* has a college degree now. Its no longer about the degree, but more about what you get it in.
    There aren't as many good paying jobs that are open. It's that simple. If there aren't as many good paying jobs, less people will be able to find good paying jobs. It isn't complicated.
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    "Liberal indoctrination being incompatible with the workforce" is a reality of my ideology, apparently. Couldn't have anything to do with things like wage suppression, employment market saturation, or an aging population...it's just 'dem libruls'.
    If you owned a business in a national climate that was already extremely hostile to business...

breaking your ass to generate revenue while having to navigate a complex ever changing regulatory system and tax code...

living under the looming threat that some day some thug in Washington is going to make you pay your employees wages that will flat out shut you down...

all the while hearing about how you're a greedy pariah who doesn't want to give people they things they're "entitled" to...

then on top of all of that your applicant pool consists of a bunch of belligerent militant radicals who think capitalism is the devil, who think they know everything because they watched the Daily Show last night, and who will walk in on day with without any sense of professionalism and start making demands based of "muh rights"...

...would you want to hire those people?
    MAGA

10+ Year Old Account
    If you owned a business in a national climate that was already extremely hostile to business...
    "A national climate that was extremely hostile to business"? Lolwut?

breaking your ass to generate revenue while having to navigate a complex ever changing regulatory system and tax code...

living under the looming threat that some day some thug in Washington is going to make you pay your employees wages that will flat out shut you down...

all the while hearing about how you're a greedy pariah who doesn't want to give people they things they're "entitled" to...

then on top of all of that your applicant pool consists of a bunch of belligerent militant radicals who think capitalism is the devil, who think they know everything because they watched the Daily Show last night, and who will walk in on day with without any sense of professionalism and start making demands based of "muh rights"...

I mean, I can't hire someone who doesn't actually exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    He doesn't have a STEM degree so yeah that's pretty expected.

1. I don't care
    Then don't fucking quote me, son.

By the way, the fact that you ignored that the data shows that humanities and social science degrees are not much more popular than they used to be, which is the underpinning of your entire argument, shows how intellectually dishonest and bankrupt you are. Your entire argument rests on something which has been demonstrated to be false.
    Why should I give a fuck about some link to NPR?

I wasn't ever talking about "humanities and social science degrees" in the first place.

You brought that shit up and built it into a little sandcastle and you think it means you've won the internets because I ignored something that was irreverent to my point?

Pfff...

Take your "intellectually this and that" comment and shove it because you couldn't even follow a simple topic.
    MAGA

I own a business in one of the most complex and regulated industries imaginable, and our taxes involve international work with multiple contractors and our own employees. It's really, really, really not that difficult. What you are describing is what a non-business owner's understanding of being a business owner is like. Frankly, this is easier than any job I've ever had as an employee. I have never encountered any of the bizarre situations you describe above.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account

Neither of these are true in any practical sense. Regulations have always changed. The tax code's always been complex. The USA is not, by any rational measure, "extremely hostile to business".

Flat-out doesn't happen, and the argument that it could straight-up ignores both the entire history of minimum wage increases and economics theory.

Well, "those people" are products of your overactive imagination.

Let me explain , if you go to college and you take classes like Gender studies or other SJW BS ... This is the job that awaits you after that good luck fighters uhu!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Because public broadcasting is known to be considerable more impartial than the alternative as a source of political information.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    Let me explain , if you go to college and you take classes like Gender studies or other SJW BS ... This is the job that awaits you after that good luck fighters uhu!!
    'SJW BS' including...what. History, political science, economics?

Then don't fucking quote me, son.

I wasn't ever talking about "humanities and social science degrees" in the first place.

You brought that shit up and built it into a little sandcastle and you think it means you've won the internets because I ignored something that was irreverent to my point?

Pfff...

Take your "intellectually this and that" comment and shove it because you couldn't even follow a simple topic.
    Oh, I love when they get mad when facts get in the way. It's almost cute.

The types of degrees you are talking about are not much more popular than they used to be, and in many categories they were more popular decades ago, such as History. Reality does not conform to your paranoid ramblings. You are wrong. Deal with it.
    -ynnady