Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Nathanos, how big of an alliance hero was he?

Hey people,

I was reading about Nathanos and it sounded like he was quite important. I knew he was an exceptional figure to be accepted to Farstriders and all, but how important and how famous was he?

Do we have proper info about this?

I mean, compare him to someone we "know", like Uther, Kael, Bolvar etc

Also: Is this "fame" created in WoW or did he actually exist as a name in the previous games?

Thanks for the replies <3

Quote Originally Posted by themaelstorm View Post
    Hey people,

I was reading about Nathanos and it sounded like he was quite important. I knew he was an exceptional figure to be accepted to Farstriders and all, but how important and how famous was he?

Do we have proper info about this?

I mean, compare him to someone we "know", like Uther, Kael, Bolvar etc

Also: Is this "fame" created in WoW or did he actually exist as a name in the previous games?

Thanks for the replies <3

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Order_Must_Be_Restored

Do you know how many ranger lords exist in this world? How many human ranger lords have ever existed?

Nathanos' accomplishments were unprecedented. He was a tactical genius, responsible for Alliance victories spanning a decade of conflict.

And now... the champion of the Forsaken.

No. This cannot be. Order must be restored.

Gather an army, <name>. Return to the Plagues with your army and destroy the Blightcaller.

I wish you luck, <name>. Truly, you will need it for this battle.

The reason I'm asking is because I read this actually.

It's vague as fel :P

Well that is pretty much it though, Nathanos was created with classic Wow after all.

I consider him pretty big as he is the only Human Ranger Lord and is described as key to many victories in the alliance.

He didn't exist in previous games (as far as I know)

He was amazing enough for Sylvanas to keep him by her side when Kaelthas said to get rid of him.

His parade was rained on when he 1v1'd Ramstein in his own home. I would love to get more details like if Nathanos killed him but Ramstein was re-animated or was it just a straight slaughter.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by thesentinelblue View Post
    I consider him pretty big as he is the only Human Ranger Lord and is described as key to many victories in the alliance.

He didn't exist in previous games (as far as I know)

He was amazing enough for Sylvanas to keep him by her side when Kaelthas said to get rid of him.

His parade was rained on when he 1v1'd Ramstein in his own home. I would love to get more details like if Nathanos killed him but Ramstein was re-animated or was it just a straight slaughter.
    I'm pretty sure I remember somewhere saying Ramstien ripped off his face and gutted him, or something like that. Abominations are scary as fuck
    Last edited by Friendlyimmolation; 2016-11-03 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Nathanos was apparently a great hero of the Alliance, but I'd say no more so than anyone else. Definitely not on the level of someone like Maxwell Tyrosus or any of the other leaders of the Silver Hand and its splinter factions.

I'd say he was simply one of Sylvanas' lieutenants in the Second War and was perhaps a liaison of some sort between the elven and human forces. Maybe he had a leadership role of some kind in Lordaeron's resistance to the Scourge's onslaught in the early days of the Third War, but I can't imagine he made any significant headway. Likely just helped civilians escape south to the Hinterlands to get farther away from Lordaeron via the Wildhammers, and maybe he utilized the elves at Quel'danil in some way with that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    I'd say he was simply one of Sylvanas' lieutenants in the Second War and was perhaps a liaison of some sort between the elven and human forces. Maybe he had a leadership role of some kind in Lordaeron's resistance to the Scourge's onslaught in the early days of the Third War, but I can't imagine he made any significant headway.
    He was literally the only human ever to be made a ranger lord of Quel'Thalas.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    And not just that he was the only human to ever even JOIN the Farstriders, and he was described as naturally gifted and he soared through the ranks at a pace few other Farstriders have. Currently he is also the highest ranking military commander of the forsaken, below Sylvanas herself of course, and the second-in-command of the entire Forsaken population. He is literally second in line to the Forsaken throne... And if the rumours are to be believed... He is essentially a Prince-Consort to Sylvanas, now you know why she is so sad about her people not being able to procreate.

He was a big enough deal that the Alliance thought that it was a travesty for him to be re-animated as an undead. Hence the world raid quest to kill him back in the old days.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I know, but Quel'thalas wasn't exactly the biggest supporter of the Alliance.

Sure, being the only human to serve Quel'thalas/Lordaeron, especially as a Ranger-Lord, is neat and all, but I can't imagine Sylvanas would care enough about the Alliance-serving deeds implied by Bolvar/Varian in that quest to promote him to Ranger-Lord.

My guess would be that he joined the Farstriders, was super skilled, and helped them out a lot against the Amani, which Sylvanas would very much care about. That would be a surefire way to earn her trust and prove his loyalty both to her and to Quel'thalas, by serving decisively against their most hated enemy.

Not saying service against the orcs during the 2nd War couldn't have had something to do with it, but I doubt Sylvanas would care enough about him killing orcs to promote him for that. Sylvanas was mad at the orcs for killing her family members, but her hatred didn't last forever, as she now works with them. Conversely, she still hates the Amani, or at least she did in WC3. I believe there's a mission with a side-quest where she comes across forest trolls and says "Forest trolls! I hate them even more than those cursed dreadlords. Slaughter them all!" And from her perspective, she'd likely hold the dreadlords just as responsible for Quel'thalas' destruction as she does Arthas. So that's pretty intense hatred.

It's like the Alleria argument. Alleria isn't some paragon of the Alliance, despite Stormwind building a statue of her. She doesn't like humans in general, except those she's formed personal bonds with. And neither is Sylvanas.

I'm just trying to think of things he'd have done specifically for Lordaeron that would merit Bolvar/Varian's praise for him.
    Last edited by Koryn123; 2016-11-03 at 08:03 PM.

He was one of the many of the top military in quel'thalas but he didnt accomplisht anything significant beside to join a military force of a nation of elves which despite the humans most of the time, he is maybe is equal famous like others secondary characters in his time like tirion(before kill the lich king), maxwell, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Order_Must_Be_Restored

Do you know how many ranger lords exist in this world? How many human ranger lords have ever existed?

Nathanos' accomplishments were unprecedented. He was a tactical genius, responsible for Alliance victories spanning a decade of conflict.

And now... the champion of the Forsaken.

No. This cannot be. Order must be restored.

Gather an army, <name>. Return to the Plagues with your army and destroy the Blightcaller.

I wish you luck, <name>. Truly, you will need it for this battle.
    You can have him back, all the stormheim questline made me hate him to oblivion

7+ Year Old Account

hey >_>
    /10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

He was made a Ranger Lord on behalf of Sylvanas' request.

A questline by Varian used to say how he accomplished much for the Alliance when it comes to victories in the battlefield, but it is not stated which battle(s) he was a crucial part of. I take it as simple IC exaggeration as there is absolutely no mention of him in any lore regarding crucial battles. As far as I know, he was already killed by Alliance adventurers, but Blizzard magically brought him back in Cataclysm.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess would be that he joined the Farstriders, was super skilled, and helped them out a lot against the Amani, which Sylvanas would very much care about.
    Going by that example, she should have cared about every single human being out there because it was the humans that saved Quel'thalas during the Troll Wars.

The more probable story is that they were lovers. The Windrunner sisters got a weak spot for humans.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2016-11-04 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Come along... "hero"

"you can't attack that target"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Sylvanas was mad at the orcs for killing her family members, but her hatred didn't last forever, as she now works with them.
    That has got the least to do with her character, but rather with Blizzard being unable to form the Horde as a playable faction if it was in any other way. That is why they just jump across the character's personality and alter it to fit into the game.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    The fact that he treats the player character like shit makes him unique and liked by alot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    The fact that he treats the player character like shit makes him unique and liked by alot of people.
    At least the character working for him had some motivation because they were also loyal to/working for Sylvanas.

Unlike Tyrande who treated players like dirt, leaving Horde players absolutely no motivation to help her, as they don't have any tie to Malfurion. Unless they're a druid, then they have some small tie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    He was made a Ranger Lord on behalf of Sylvanas' request.

A questline by Varian used to say how he accomplished much for the Alliance when it comes to victories in the battlefield, but it is not stated which battle(s) he was a crucial part of. I take it as simple IC exaggeration as there is absolutely no mention of him in any lore regarding crucial battles. As far as I know, he was already killed by Alliance adventurers, but Blizzard magically brought him back in Cataclysm.

- - - Updated - - -

Going by that example, she should have cared about every single human being out there because it was the humans that saved Quel'thalas during the Troll Wars.

The more probable story is that they were lovers. The Windrunner sisters got a weak spot for humans.
    The humans of Strom were still their own army. Nathanos wasn't there as some Lordaeron soldier just there to help the Farstriders, he actively joined the Farstriders and worked his way up the ranks just like any elven ranger, proving through his hard work, determination, and loyalty, that he deserved to be a ranger lord.

I suppose we just have to assume he did a lot for Lordaeron during the Third War, and as he likely served under Sylvanas during the Second War, Varian/Bolvar was just tossing in those years of non-Lordaeron military service with the time he was doing stuff for Lordaeron.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    Come along... "hero"

"you can't attack that target"
    To be fair, not trying to give us BJ was a nice change for once. And hey, the fact that he cringes at "hero" thing makes him a very realistic character.