Thread: Early voting

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Who's docking pay? They can't penalize you for not being there, they don't have to pay you.
    There could be a law that said they had to though. And your employer is penalizing you for voting by not giving you the time to perform your important civic duty if you have to choose between pay and voting.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2016-11-07 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Give me one reason why we should make voting less accessible to the populace?
    Because Republicans are losing elections. There I summed up the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I think there should be a way to vote online.
    Good god no! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Because Republicans are losing elections. There I summed up the thread.
    This should be right under the OP's post.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Sounds pretty stupid. Democratic election, we always complain when theres low voter turn outs... lets reduce it further lol? Does a human with a functioning brain can even say those things without chuckling.

What is worse is the parrots like the OP even buying into that shit.

This instantly triggers into my mind.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-11-07 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    There could be a law that said they had to though. And your employer is penalizing you for voting by not giving you the time to perform your important civic duty if you have to choose between pay and voting.
    There could be, but there isn't and isn't likely to be. Especially given the fact that you can do so through the mail, which would allow employers to sue for unnecessary hardships.

All US citizens should vote but it should have to be done in person (with few exceptions like the elderly or military) but expand voting to the Monday and Tuesday of election week.

State issued ID should be required and any individual who can not afford one should receive it for free

SSN should also be required to vote to reduce chance at voter fraud

any registered voter now deceased should immediately be removed from the registered voter registry

any person caught committing voter fraud should receive a minimum jail sentence of 1 year plus have their right to vote revoked for at least 2 election cycles

I know both sides of the election get caught with voter fraud, but in many cases little comes from it. So i think that you put more requirements to vote but assist all people in achieving those requirements so long as they are legally fit to do so.

Just do like serious employers do, require a passport in order to prove the person is a US citizen, then issue a voter ID card for free. Have a national database where individuals can log in and check their vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlinn View Post
    All US citizens should vote but it should have to be done in person (with few exceptions like the elderly or military) but expand voting to the Monday and Tuesday of election week.

State issued ID should be required and any individual who can not afford one should receive it for free

SSN should also be required to vote to reduce chance at voter fraud

any registered voter now deceased should immediately be removed from the registered voter registry

any person caught committing voter fraud should receive a minimum jail sentence of 1 year plus have their right to vote revoked for at least 2 election cycles

I know both sides of the election get caught with voter fraud, but in many cases little comes from it. So i think that you put more requirements to vote but assist all people in achieving those requirements so long as they are legally fit to do so.
    IIRC there have been 31 cases of voter fraud since GWB was elected. Out of over a billion votes cast. Voter fraud is a complete non-issue in the USA (and it carries a 5 year prison sentence as a federal felony, which if I remember correctly bars you from voting for life). The real fraud is the way that the GoP has gerrymandered the voting districts to be heavily weighted in their favour in the last decade.

Having myself taken advantage of early voting last Friday, I can honestly say that that's the only way for me now on. Took a whole 15 min, including the drive, during lunch.

I do like the making it a holiday idea though. Not everyone has the opportunity to actually leave the workplace and doesn't want to stand in line for hours in god knows what kind of weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    IIRC there have been 31 cases of voter fraud since GWB was elected. Out of over a billion votes cast. Voter fraud is a complete non-issue in the USA (and it carries a 5 year prison sentence as a federal felony, which if I remember correctly bars you from voting for life). The real fraud is the way that the GoP has gerrymandered the voting districts to be heavily weighted in their favour in the last decade.

Thats not true at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R_aT6ucGNQ

When the President of the United States said Illegals can vote, then there is fraud right there.

Ah, here come the Trumpsters, upset that those rowdy blacks and hispanics can not only vote, but are voting for somebody other than Lord Donald. Disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstream View Post
    Having myself taken advantage of early voting last Friday, I can honestly say that that's the only way for me now on. Took a whole 15 min, including the drive, during lunch.

I do like the making it a holiday idea though. Not everyone has the opportunity to actually leave the workplace and doesn't want to stand in line for hours in god knows what kind of weather.
    If the queues are so long, why not set up more polling stations?

I think there should be a way to vote online. I think voting day should be a national holiday, and I think anyone who can vote(legally) should be able to with little to no lines/wait time.
    I voted "online" this election. Print out, Vote, Sign, Scan in, Email, Done

I'm against "early voting" because it's expensive. If people want to vote early, then vote by mail / absentee ballot. As it is, elections in big cities cost millions to carry out without the idea of keeping the polls open for weeks. I also don't think we should be spending money on these stupid electronic voting machines when we get the results only slightly slower by paper, but get the added benefits of authentication and accounting.

Basically, if people are too lazy to go vote on election day, or too lazy to fill out and return a mail-in ballot up to two weeks beforehand, then why should we spend all this money on the off chance that they'll one day within the 2 week period decide to come vote in person? The cost-benefit on it is just bad.

Also to all the people saying they'd rather vote online, that's a terrible idea. There's no such thing as non-repudiation in electronic transmissions... I'll let Computerphile explain:
    Last edited by Chetnik; 2016-11-07 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    I'm against "early voting" because it's expensive. If people want to vote early, then vote by mail / absentee ballot. As it is, elections in big cities cost millions to carry out without the idea of keeping the polls open for weeks.

Basically, if people are too lazy to go vote on election day, or too lazy to fill out and return a mail-in ballot up to two weeks beforehand, then why should we spend all this money on the off chance that they'll one day within the 2 week period decide to come vote in person? The cost-benefit on it is just bad.
    Don't worry people. I got this one.

So we should put a price on Democracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Don't worry people. I got this one.

So we should put a price on Democracy?
    What's wrong with what I said? Are mail-in ballots not acceptable enough for early voting? There are states that don't even have in-person voting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    What's wrong with what I said? Are mail-in ballots not acceptable enough for early voting? There are states that don't even have in-person voting anymore
    Uh...what state?

We have things like biometrics, encryption, and Two Factor verification that make it really hard to create fraud.
    All of which has diddly squat to do with the video I linked. Try again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Give me one reason why we should make voting less accessible to the populace?
    This 10 char. Oh wait there is an entire party in i 2-party system trying to limit voting already.

Gee, I wonder why anyone would do that
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.