Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    This is like saying: I support beeing stuck in time with a document design hundreads of years ago completely detached from reality.

Aww man... i have to stop this. I am really sad for the part of america in the coasts that have to be dragged along by the less educated interior states. I would be so frustrated if i was living there...
    The sad thing is that the framers of the constitution intended for it to adapt based on time (especially the original conservative Thomas Jefferson) but modern day conservatives take the opposite position.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    What? The constitution gets amended all the time.
    Not recently, the new move is to appoint Supreme Court Justices who read below a 3rd grade level to pretend it says different things, and then completely make things up.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only white males could vote? For one.

So then you have no argument to support the EC, then?
    That is a valid one which needed to be amended. State rights is my reason for supporting EC.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Well Wyoming only has ~500k people, so 500Kx5=2.5M, California has 34M+ people, so even if a vote in California is worth 1/5th of a vote in Wyoming, you still have 12 times the number of votes! So fucking cry me a river.

Also: I'll tell California the same thing I tell Texas: shut the fuck up and sit down ya whiny pussies.
    Why should a Californian's vote be worth less than someone from Wyoming?

7+ Year Old Account
    Also: I'll tell California the same thing I tell Texas: shut the fuck up and sit down ya whiny pussies.
    Yessir, sorry sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Yessir, sorry sir.
    not me.

Cant stop, wont stop. Must turn Texas purple!

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well there's 27 amendments. So, I guess it depends on your definition of often.
    Yeah. I think you would be shocked at how often it was attempted or seriously considered and never made it. 27 amendments in over 200 years is not indicative of something happening often.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    To me that does not make any difference. It works now fine from my view point. You are free to pursue the right to get it amended. I also fully support that.
    That's fine if it does work from your view point. That doesn't mean everyone agrees.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-11-10 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah, California isn't going to leave.

Though it would mean that they no longer have to help prop up the southern welfare states who constantly take money from the federal government to stay afloat.

As for the people wanting to split up California into different states, make no mistake... it's because they want to annex the primarily poor, conservative central California out. If Silicon Valley and Central California were separated, you'd instantly have the wealthiest state in the union next to the poorest state in the union.
    Makes one wonder what the American economy would look like absent super liberal states like California, New York, Illinois, Washington, and Massachusetts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    not me.

Cant stop, wont stop. Must turn Texas purple!
    Oh great, now I've been publicly shamed into standing up. Fine!

#CalExit2016! Make it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is a valid one which needed to be amended. State rights is my reason for supporting EC.
    States rights over the people's rights?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Why should a Californian's vote be worth less than someone from Wyoming?
    Well I mean if you want to guarantee New York, Denver, LA, San Francisco, Miami, Austin and a few other very large VERY liberal cities pick the president every election, okay.

TLDR: Because they're smelly!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BannedForViews View Post
    It seems fucked up because you are ignorant. Voting is not compulsory. Because it is not, a popular vote has significantly less representative power than the electoral college does.
    That is not democracy though.

Just saying that for the nation who likes to be touted as the leaders of the free world, they have a funny idea of how much everyone's freedom should be worth. Democracy is for every vote to be worth the same.
    It's messed up wether you like it or not. But the democrats should have tried to change the system while Obama was in office. It's not the first time this happens. It was messed up the first time, but this time it was just daft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I mean if you want to guarantee New York, Denver, LA, San Francisco, Miami, Austin and a few other very large VERY liberal cities pick the president every election, okay.

The easiest way to remedy that is make EV proportional.

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    Makes one wonder what the American economy would look like absent super liberal states like California, New York, Illinois, Washington, and Massachusetts.
    Dead and irrelevant on the world market.

More people live in those areas, so would it really be that odd?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    The easiest way to remedy that is make EV proportional.
    How would that remedy things? There are still 20 million democrats in california and....not that many republicans in 15 other states combined.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    More people live in those areas, so would it really be that odd?
    No, it wouldn't, but that's why I find it funny. The Electoral College is the ONLY reason in this day and age that we get Republican Presidents. If it were eliminated, as many Republicans wish, Democrats would hold the Oval Office until doomsday.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Technically speaking if votes would be distributed proportionately California should get 65+ votes or something.

Also if you voted for Trump...you should be ashamed of yourself.
    You should be ashamed of yourself. Your country just had a some what peaceful democratic election. If you didn't vote for Trump then you didn't lose. The only thing that really happened is you got a president not of your choosing. The same thing has happened to me in my country for three elections but I don't get my pitchfork and abuse other randoms online about it. Attitudes like yours is the exact reason the rest of the world hates you. Man the fuck up and do your part to make america great again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    How would that remedy things? There are still 20 million democrats in california and....not that many republicans in 15 other states combined.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it wouldn't, but that's why I find it funny. The Electoral College is the ONLY reason in this day and age that we get Republican Presidents. If it were eliminated, as many Republicans wish, Democrats would hold the Oval Office until doomsday.
    because it would give Republicans in Cali a voice and representation, instead of "you're not important cause you're vastly outnumbered. Sorry". Which means a split EC and putting dominant states now in play a bit more.

While representing rural states is important, it should never make being more populated a detriment like it does now

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Which would still work if the number of electoral college votes was proportional to population in the states. As it is now, the rural states have more voting power than the larger states. People in CA just want the same individual electoral voice as someone who lives in Wyoming or Alabama.
    or maybe all states should have an equal number of electorals so California would have 3 like North Dakota. the system was designed a certain way and it does what it's suppose to do.
    Last edited by Fang7986; 2016-11-10 at 05:05 AM.