Deleted

WarcraftLogs - See mana used to heal me?

I'm looking to gauge my performance with WarcraftLogs to help improve myself, we're struggling a little with the tank damage from Mythic Elerethe.
    I'm pretty much always taking more damage than my co-tanks, and topping "External Healing Required" on warcraftlogs. This is not just on Elerethe, but also Nyth and the benchmark of Heroic Ursoc.

I'm just not sure if this is mismanaging brews or just the BrM playstyle.
    I know we take more raw damage, but Celestial Fortune and our super smooth damage helps aid it. If we drop slowly, healers never have to Flash Heal us and can be super reserved on mana, even if we need more actual healing.

What other metrics can I see on warcraftlogs for tank survivability? The KRSI rankings are usually a poor indication and raw healing needed is also a bit iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamancer View Post
    I'm looking to gauge my performance with WarcraftLogs to help improve myself, we're struggling a little with the tank damage from Mythic Elerethe.
    I'm pretty much always taking more damage than my co-tanks, and topping "External Healing Required" on warcraftlogs. This is not just on Elerethe, but also Nyth and the benchmark of Heroic Ursoc.

I'm just not sure if this is mismanaging brews or just the BrM playstyle.
    I know we take more raw damage, but Celestial Fortune and our super smooth damage helps aid it. If we drop slowly, healers never have to Flash Heal us and can be super reserved on mana, even if we need more actual healing.

What other metrics can I see on warcraftlogs for tank survivability? The KRSI rankings are usually a poor indication and raw healing needed is also a bit iffy.
    Given monk's relatively low self healing, one would imagine that you should be requiring less external healing, not more... I'm not a BRM expert but I've played it, and I know healing and I just don't really agree with your conclusion that this is fine.
    edit: this is clearly wrong, I'd say I was high when I wrote it but I'm out of weed

Focus on your buff uptimes and cooldown usages per time when looking at logs. Take an educated guess of how much stagger damage you might have been able to purify and compare your actual purify amount to that.

Depending on your healing comp, you're not really aiming to avoid having healers flash heal you. A holy priest with the talent that duplicates 50% of FH healing for example is almost certainly not going to bother casting Heal on you unless there is absolutely nothing else to do. Mana expenditure is much MUCH more severe for burst AOE healing; spamming flash heals isnt even that bad.
    Last edited by dennisdkramer; 2016-11-09 at 11:40 PM.

Deleted
    I'm not sure I understand your first point, if I have relatively low self-healing then would I not need more external healing?
    As I understand it "External Healing Required" is the amount of healing that people other than myself have put into me. More self healing would reduce, not increase, this number.
    Interesting point about the FH vs AOE heal spells, I don't play healers so I assumed the disparity between types of heal (slow vs fast) was larger.

CF is reflected as your healing in logs. So "external healing required" ~ "external mana required"

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, in theory you could receive more external healing than another tank and still be less of a burden (in terms of mana) to your healers, if your healers are able to get by healing you with efficient heals. E.g. if a druid can keep you up with HoTs (= efficient heals) and never has to spam his direct heals (= inefficient but high HPS heals) he can put a lot of healing into while spending relatively little mana. If the other tank doesn't need healing all the time but whenever he needs it, it needs to come quickly (i.e. require the direct heals), healing the other tank might require more mana overall for less total healing.

But TBH, I doubt that there is a significant difference in "average healing per mana" between tanks in practice and that comparing total external healing required is as good as comparing total healer mana required.
    "We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick. This is my brick." - Tim Cook, CEO of Apple

Armory: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman
    WoWProgress: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman

I'm not sure I understand your first point, if I have relatively low self-healing then would I not need more external healing?
    As I understand it "External Healing Required" is the amount of healing that people other than myself have put into me. More self healing would reduce, not increase, this number.
    Interesting point about the FH vs AOE heal spells, I don't play healers so I assumed the disparity between types of heal (slow vs fast) was larger.
    Yes you're right I had that first point backwards

look at damage taken, and look for evil damage spikes. not an exact measurement, but that combined with "external healing taken" is a bit on the way

If you go to the Healing tab and select yourself from the "All Friendlies" dropdown (left side above the graph) you can mouse over each healer and see what abilities they used to heal you. Additionally you can manipulate the "Done By Source" (right side above the graph) dropdown to "Done By Ability" to see the number of casts for each ability that healed you. You can also add like #type=healing&target=9&by=ability to the web address, but the target=9 would need to be your specific number according to the report.

As other metrics for tanking, you can research pins and use them to highlight damage taken under cooldowns/debuffs/buffs and you can "Zoom" a fight to a specific portion of the fight to see what you could have done better.

Tank death problems on spider are usually due to poor add and web management than anything else. Tanks, nor the raid for that matter, should be taking significance damage if the mechanics are done right. Your only big damage pieces of spider are from vile ambush and whatever the shared damage thing is on the 2nd platform. Even gathering clouds is negligible if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Even gathering clouds is negligible if done right.
    Gathering clouds countered by exploding keg - so it's time to shine for BrM, saving the whole raid

Deleted
    Gathering clouds is countered by Exploding Keg? I thought it was a spell-like ability.
    Also, thanks Targom, I'll give that a look.
    Last edited by mmoc9f7c89e5a2; 2016-11-11 at 03:43 AM.

Gathering clouds is countered by Exploding Keg? I thought it was a spell-like ability.
    Also, thanks Targom, I'll give that a look.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...translate=true