15+ Year Old Account

Low FPS with new graphic card

Hello guys,

Recently I bought myself a new GPU when my old one died. But it seems I can't get it to work as it should. In game wherever there are bit more effects on the screen (raids, battlegrounds, etc.) I get huge FPS drops (from 60 to 25-30). I tried lowering details and resolution as much as I could (ended with all details at low) but it still happens.

I'm starting to think it's not about GPU but another component which needs upgrading.

My setups is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA P55 UD3
    Processor: QuadCOre Intel i7-860 @2800 MHz
    RAM: Kingstone 4x4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
    GPU: Strix NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB

I'm running OpenHardwareMonitor to check if there is an overload when the drop happens, but each time everything was working at around 60% of usage.

I'm clueless what to do here.

Thanks in advance.

Forgot to add, I'm running Win10 latest update.
    Last edited by Demetrion; 2016-11-12 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrion View Post
    Hello guys,

Recently I bought myself a new GPU when my old one died. But it seems I can't get it to work as it should. In game wherever there are bit more effects on the screen (raids, battlegrounds, etc.) I get huge FPS drops (from 60 to 25-30). I tried lowering details and resolution as much as I could (ended with all details at low) but it still happens.

I'm starting to think it's not about GPU but another component which needs upgrading.

My setups is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA P55 UD3
    Processor: QuadCOre Intel i7-860 @2800 MHz
    RAM: Kingstone 4x4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
    GPU: Strix NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB

I'm running OpenHardwareMonitor to check if there is an overload when the drop happens, but each time everything was working at around 60% of usage.

I'm clueless what to do here.

Thanks in advance.
    well i can tell you your using an old as shit cpu. Thats like first gen i7 so your most likely getting throttled by that. The ram amount is decent yet again old. Your pretty much running on 6-7 year old hardware there. You need a complete rebuild minus the gpu. Id say use this blackfriday and do a whole new tower build.

Deleted
    Got the same problem with a GTX680, sometimes usage of GPU is only under 50% and sometimes ~100%, something is wrong with GPU Usage with Nvidia Cards, Blizz forum is full with that Problem. What only worked for me, Windows Energy Mode to High and play WoW in Fullscreen, since that i have most of the time a 100% GPU Usage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    well i can tell you your using an old as shit cpu. Thats like first gen i7 so your most likely getting throttled by that. The ram amount is decent yet again old. Your pretty much running on 6-7 year old hardware there. You need a complete rebuild minus the gpu. Id say use this blackfriday and do a whole new tower build.
    I was thinking the same first, but shouldn't it show me that it's being overloaded (the CPU or RAM) when the FPS drops on the OpenHardwareMonitor? Sadly, in my country, BlackFriday doesn't exist and PC hardware is really expensive so it will have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by InTeNsO View Post
    Got the same problem with a GTX680, sometimes usage of GPU is only under 50% and sometimes ~100%, something is wrong with GPU Usage with Nvidia Cards, Blizz forum is full with that Problem. What only worked for me, Windows Energy Mode to High and play WoW in Fullscreen, since that i have most of the time a 100% GPU Usage.
    I'll try that now and see will I get better results!

Deleted
    get some good non-stock cooling system and oc that cpu, should be able to get it to ~3.5Ghz without even touching voltage, if you are lucky and toy with it long enough you should be able to get up to 4Ghz

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    get some good non-stock cooling system and oc that cpu, should be able to get it to ~3.5Ghz without even touching voltage, if you are lucky and toy with it long enough you should be able to get up to 4Ghz
    hes running on 7 year old hardware at this point, u can only compensate for that so much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrion View Post
    I was thinking the same first, but shouldn't it show me that it's being overloaded (the CPU or RAM) when the FPS drops on the OpenHardwareMonitor? Sadly, in my country, BlackFriday doesn't exist and PC hardware is really expensive so it will have to wait.

I'll try that now and see will I get better results!
    someone that better knows the tech aspect of throttling can explain but it has to do with whats on your mobo and your cpu just not being able to fully handle all of it. regardless of what its showing you need to replace everything in your rig aside from your gpu.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Overclocking an old CPU that you had for ages is not the best of ideas.. they don't respond very well to it, even with a non-stock cooler.
    It does work sometimes, but i imagine the chance to screw your CPU over higher than actually overclocking it without any issues.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    Overclocking an old CPU that you had for ages is not the best of ideas.. they don't respond very well to it, even with a non-stock cooler.
    It does work sometimes, but i imagine the chance to screw your CPU over higher than actually overclocking it without any issues.
    That's... not at all true.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    My old i7-860 is still running a 4.5 GHz OC without any probloms, so there is no problem in oc'ing that cpu. It's running on a H50 in push/pull
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Could it be recount causing your performance issues? Common issue everyone seems to have.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You are running on the first gen. i5/i7 system. The 800/900 series, so i would say that it's time to do a upgrade, unless you oc that cpu, and that will still not get you much, because of how old that system is.

I would say new Mobo, Cpu and RAM.

My old i7 860 at 4,5 GHz is not doing well in WOW at all. In raids im getting 30-40 fps on settings 6. In open world it's doing about 60-70 fps, but do dip to 45-50 some times. This is with a gtx 5800
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: