Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

So no interesting disc changes in 7.1.5 :(

So I think we are actually doing quite fine as soon as we hit a decent gear level and once you have mastered the mechanics.
    Still I'm quite disappointed that blizzard does basically nothing.
    We have a bunch of useless and uninteresting talents.
    A bunch of pointless artifact traits.
    Some mechanics that are really hard to master and impossible to deal with in a good way without a lot of UI customization, scaring away all the new players.
    A bunch of sub par skills forcing us into the one thing we do really well, which is burst aoe.
    I was hoping for more...

Um.. what? Can't play a spec well until you've mastered its mechanics? Well shit, stop the press, we've got a big story here boys.

Disc is fine at the moment, I'm glad they didn't change much, cause we're in a great position at the moment. Sadly they (mostly) failed on Shadow Covenant, but the new legendary cape is really solid, so that's nice.
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

Deleted
    It's fine because we can do one specific thing really well.
    We used to excel at spamming bubbles to mitigate lots and lots of damage but presumably you think that was also great?
    Almost every disc I knew gave up and changed class or spec. Does that not tell you something?
    That it eventually becomes fine is not enough.

- - - Updated - - -

And while the cape is good (actually the new trinket is potentially even better) that only helps a really small portion of an already underused spec.

Quote Originally Posted by noctoz View Post
    We used to excel at spamming bubbles to mitigate lots and lots of damage but presumably you think that was also great?
    Almost every disc I knew gave up and changed class or spec. Does that not tell you something?

- - - Updated - - -

And while the cape is good (actually the new trinket is potentially even better) that only helps a really small portion of an already underused spec.
    In fairness blizzard did intimate that they were ok with no one playing disc, and folks are free to go holy. That seemed to be their position.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you referring to the DPS trinket or the healing trinket? Both look tasty for Disc.

- - - Updated - - -

Tells me that they were all playing disc because it was a face roll, no skill, extremely badly designed spec that had enormously problematic implications for the balance of both PvE content and other healers, and those players couldn't handle when it got changed to require some degree of thought and ability.
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsies View Post
    Are you referring to the DPS trinket or the healing trinket? Both look tasty for Disc.
    I was looking at the healing one (Velen). When you are bursting the group back up there will be some amount of overhealing that will now be redistributed.
    Maybe it can be used to boost single target as well by putting up atonement on non damaged players.

I was looking at the healing one (Velen). When you are bursting the group back up there will be some amount of overhealing that will now be redistributed.
    Maybe it can be used to boost single target as well by putting up atonement on non damaged players.
    I dont feel very enthusiastic about it. The classic burst healing model doesnt look like it would benefit a lot and with mana being as it is i am.hesitant to drop a mana trinket. Wel see what the big playas have to say about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atonement View Post
    Tells me that they were all playing disc because it was a face roll, no skill, extremely badly designed spec that had enormously problematic implications for the balance of both PvE content and other healers, and those players couldn't handle when it got changed to require some degree of thought and ability.
    Or maybe they just never asked to become some sort of special snowflake hero. I can agree with the fact that disc used to be pretty easy, myself I'm enjoying the current iteration more - and I have no intentions of rerolling, but to judge everybody else that simply wanted to play a regular healer, not one that needs a "hardcore" brand stamped on them, is a bit meh. Or maybe they weren't so keen on the whole atonement business, nothing wrong with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    SW:P was nerfed for a third time, so it'll be less than useless now.
    Oh and our trait Forbidden Flame had a nice nerf.

So we have that going for us

10+ Year Old Account
    The forbidden flame change is so meaningless. Wow instead of doing 800k raw hps on most bosses, you'll do 795k. What a difference!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supliftz View Post
    The forbidden flame change is so meaningless. Wow instead of doing 800k raw hps on most bosses, you'll do 795k. What a difference!
    If it's so meaningless, makes you wonder why Blizzard even bothered doing it then? They must have data showing it will have a larger impact
    than your example of 800k to 795k.

Shadow Covenant looks like an even more enticing trap for newbies to fall into. "This time it's instant guys! It must be good!"

I see this talent being useful only when you're completely zoned out or tabbed out of WoW, then you tab back in, realize the group is at 20% Hp. Panic and go "Oh SHIT" and spam Shadow Covenant like a derp assuming it has no cooldown.
    Maybe it could find a use if it doesn't replace PW:R. Can't think of one right now.

PTR Shadow Covenant in fact has no CD and doesn't replace PW:R.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    If it's so meaningless, makes you wonder why Blizzard even bothered doing it then? They must have data showing it will have a larger impact
    than your example of 800k to 795k.
    Because it was the strongest healer paragon point previously, because it was 5% total hps increase, on top of a 5% dps increase.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    PTR Shadow Covenant in fact has no CD and doesn't replace PW:R.
    Irrelevant. Mana doesn't exist in a vacuum. Mana spent on SC is using mana that could be spent on PW:R.
    Last edited by Supliftz; 2016-11-17 at 02:30 AM.

Mm, Blizz continues to make me facepalm with this supposed buff to SC.

They're trying so hard to fix something that is just inherently broken.

On shadow convenant, if they also reduced the duration of the healing absorb to 3/4s, greatly increase the heal amount and absorb, I can see it working as an emergency AE throughput that can be rewarding when used smartly, but punishing when spammed. Currently still too weak that be considered over grace+sm spam for topping grp in 5mans (outside of 5attonement penance every 9s).

I don't even play Disc and probably wouldn't even if it was changed significantly. I didn't play it back when it was based on shield spam either. I want it changed because it would be a quality of life improvement for puggers if the class's gameplay wasn't so counter-intuitive that seemingly more than half the players completely drop the ball, until it's wipe, wipe, wipe, FINE, let me re-spec to healer and we'll 2-heal this dungeon. Very slowly. Oh wait, that's not an option in M+.

I know they can be good if played right. But it's so rare for them to be played right, I simply don't trust disc priests currently and that's why no real changes is disappointing.

Yes, I am actually arguing for making the game more noob-friendly, but ideally in a non destructive way. Disc priest's skill ceiling should remain high but right now their skill floor is pretty atrocious and I think that's a problem.
    Last edited by Raxz; 2016-11-17 at 04:55 AM.

Disc has zero room for error and heavily punishes you for a single mistake like fat-fingering Plea at 20 stacks. The problem is not "disc is hard", it's "other healers can make mistakes and still do well". You mess up one burst phase and you're behind the entire fight, but a shaman still has his trusty Chain-Heal to save the day

Disc can't easily be fixed without becoming OP. Atonement duration or application changes are the only way to make it more forgiving, yet also make it broke as fug.

There are some other changes that would make it more forgiving (would need addtional balancing, obviously):
    Dispel applying atonement would be nice.
    Another cheap dot with a long duration that can be up on a limited number of targets only (1-2).
    Another longtime atonement applicator that can be up on only a few targets (2-3).
    An ability that resets the duration of all atonements and isn't on the gcd, or one that applies atonement to everyone for a few seconds.