Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Just how dead was this game during the final months of wod?

I didn't play at all from december 2015 to legion release. For anyone who remained subbed, how dead and empty was the game? It felt much deader than normal even in december, I can only imagine what it was like in may/june when hfc had been out 12+ months/

I'm playing on quite populated realm (Ragnaros EU). There're quite many people in Orgri and Warspear, game never felt dead.

Dunno how it felt on low-pop realms though...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    I'm playing on quite populated realm (Ragnaros EU). There're quite many people in Orgri and Warspear, game never felt dead.

Dunno how it felt on low-pop realms though...
    Mal'ganis US here, once one of the most populated servers but since wod has been medium at peak hours and low off peak

Based on the current pace of activity drop, give it a couple months and you can see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by hyphnos View Post
    Based on the current pace of activity drop, give it a couple months and you can see for yourself.
    Yeah wow is dying, the sky is falling, yaddayadda. *yawn*

Not at all really. The people who quit were mostly casuals who didn't do anything anyway, IE the same people that would quit this early into Legion.
    The way realms work now, even if there was less than a million people playing it would still be WAY more than you need to play the game.
    Just look at Nost.
    15 thousand people online, so 7k a faction, and it seemed so packed you couldn't possibly be alone anywhere in the world.

That says a LOT about how few people are actually needed for Blizzard to keep this population viable.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

How dead? "We'll stop reporting subscription numbers because it has gotten to a point it's just bad marketing"-dead.

Not that Blizzard top suits would exactly be worried though, profits were still quite high, especially with people having to change servers to feel like they were on a MMORPG.

Hopefully it won't reach said levels in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    Mal'ganis US here, once one of the most populated servers but since wod has been medium at peak hours and low off peak
    Mal'Ganis here as well. If you played alliance on this server it was more barren then a ghost town.

Actually during the invasion period my realm was quite active.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Yeah wow is dying, the sky is falling, yaddayadda. *yawn*
    I didn't say any such thing. I said that the activity level is headed, very rapidly, toward the level it was at the end of WoD. WoW didn't die or the sky fall at the end of WoD. It's a simple matter to look at the graphs and see what it looked last spring and early summer and see that activity levels are almost that low already.

It's called using data to answer the question posed. We have a benchmark at the end of WoD and an activity level that is very nearly that low already and exactly zero evidence that anything other than an expansion release will take activity back up to where it was when Legion hit.

Wasn't really dead on my server a lot still played but it was mostly just garrison stuff and HFC. Mot much in the way of communication etc.
    Unlike now legion lots going on people in zones etc.

Definitely more players though a lot more.

I didn't say any such thing. I said that the activity level is headed, very rapidly, toward the level it was at the end of WoD. WoW didn't die or the sky fall at the end of WoD. It's a simple matter to look at the graphs and see what it looked last spring and early summer and see that activity levels are almost that low already.

It's called using data to answer the question posed. We have a benchmark at the end of WoD and an activity level that is very nearly that low already and exactly zero evidence that anything other than an expansion release will take activity back up to where it was when Legion hit.
    Yeah, and next you'll post something from warcraftrealms and refer to that as "data". There won't be any significant drop before nighthold. That will set in once the final raid tier is out.

Deleted
    I was still subbed because I made more Gold from doing the Garrisons than a Token cost. So for like a Year I just did Garrisons on 10 Chars for 10min a Day and thats it.

It never felt dead to me, sure it wasn't as bustling with activity as previously but there were still people.

I don't know what the subscriber count was nor do I really care in all honesty.

where are you getting this data?

Wasn't there for it, lol. US-Sargeras is PACKED right now though.

way more than any other sub MMO in the world, just like it always was

also there was huge activity in the pre Legion event

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    The reason for that is that some time ago they greatly increased the servers capacity.

Mal'ganis (and almost every other server) went a couple of notches down (full to high, high to medium, medium to low) overnight.
    It's still a very crowded realm even if it says 'low'.

If I had never looked at reddit, the forums, mmo-c or other places and only played WoW at the end of WoD on Lightbringer-US/Alliance I would have never known there was a sub drop.

Deleted
    I played pretty much all of WoD on Sylvanas EU, i think at the end of mop it was a high/Full server. WoD didn't have much content at all, i noticed less and less players in Stormshield from around February all the way to Legion launch it was pretty much a ghost town. The pre patch gave life again into the server but the Draenor zones where pretty much deserted. (Stormshield was the main hub for Alliance beside the garrison)

Now to the Garrison, i only went outside of it when my sorry ass warlock had to move to the BRF summoning stone and get to stormshield to buy pvp gear. I spent around 20 minutes in Tanaan Jungle and the outside areas i only was in during leveling.

There was so little outside content in wod and therefore the activity died off in the world. Wasn't that great of a time :P