Poll: Can you drive a manual transmission?

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I love the poll. "Can you drive a manual?"

I'd be scared to drive an automatic, in fact. Never have. Manual, I can do magic with a manual. I can make a manual scream from sweet orgasm. That's how good I can handle a manual gearbox. Then again, I am Finnish, so that's a given.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...115-story.html

Manual transmissions are now only offered on 27% of American models (down from 47% 10 years ago), and only 3% of cars sold have one.

Who here knows how to drive a manual?
    Is that those mythical "stick-shift" vehicles? I thought they'd be extinct considering we're nearing self-driving car territory at this point. Apparently they're like normal cars, but obnoxiously harder to use.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-11-19 at 04:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Is the fact that the US teaches their new drivers to drive automatics a part of the reason why US drivers aren't very good, and why the best professional US drivers can only turn left?

I mean, I must've missed the amazing US F1 or WRC drivers. Cos...NASCAR! REMEMBER TO TURN LEFT!

It's actually funny this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._rally_drivers

Travis Pastrana is the only name I recognize from there, and that's not because he's actually a rally driver.

This is what we do in Finland when we're like 10:

Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-11-19 at 04:51 AM.

No, why would I want to? What is the benefit?

Deleted
    Just imagine the WRC with some ridiculous fucking automatics.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a few points wherein manual transmissions are superior to automatic, mostly when it comes to heavy loads and pulling, even still, manuals are becoming rarer even in the trucking industry, as automatic transmissions become better able to maintain pressure.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    There are a few points wherein manual transmissions are superior to automatic, mostly when it comes to heavy loads and pulling, even still, manuals are becoming rarer even in the trucking industry, as automatic transmissions become better able to maintain pressure.
    No, manuals are actually becoming rarer only in the United States.

Draw your own conclusions on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    No, manuals are actually becoming rarer only in the United States.

Draw your own conclusions on that.
    That the advantages of manual transmissions really aren't applicable to the US, Asia, or Oceania?

would never fork out extra for the automatic transmission because I prefere driving manual, automatics are usually some 3500$ extra here but they've never really gotten hold of people, my dads camaro is with automatic and it somehow fits the old guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Is the fact that the US teaches their new drivers to drive automatics a part of the reason why US drivers aren't very good, and why the best professional US drivers can only turn left?

I mean, I must've missed the amazing US F1 or WRC drivers. Cos...NASCAR! REMEMBER TO TURN LEFT!

It's actually funny this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._rally_drivers

Travis Pastrana is the only name I recognize from there, and that's not because he's actually a rally driver.

This is what we do in Finland when we're like 10:

That's some ugly 10 year olds.

IMO in about 20 years "manual" will refer to a car you have to drive yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    would never fork out extra for the automatic transmission because I prefere driving manual, automatics are usually some 3500$ extra here but they've never really gotten hold of people, my dads camaro is with automatic and it somehow fits the old guy.
    There's a few reasons you tend to see more automatics in the US, Asia, etc; namely that vehicles and petrol tend to cost more in Europe, and the fact that cars aren't as commonplace there means that driving a manual isn't as onerous as it is in say, Sydney, or Chicago.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thinking of getting a Civic SI but not sure if it will be fun as the traffic here sucks and the drivers are terrible.

Yes I know how to drive one as I drove a manual to pass my drivers test.
    Last edited by Ave07; 2016-11-19 at 08:26 AM.

Electric drive will kill both before automatic can take over.

Deleted
    driving an automatic is so boring, it's like driving in a video game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hookus View Post
    driving an automatic is so boring, it's like driving in a video game
    Consider that there exists people who don't like actively driving.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have been driving cars with manual transmissions for the last 23 years, so yeah.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    I'm American, and, to me, driving a stick is preferential to an automatic. You can get better gas mileage and assume a better control of the road with a stick-shift, among other things. Granted, I've been considering getting one of those self-driving cars, recently. I may like driving stick, but I'd rather not drive at all if I had the chance.
    And give up control over the vehicle? You're such a girl...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither manual or automatic are really the norm in Australia, it's more of a preference thing and you do get an "Automatic Only" licence if you learn in an Auto.

I drive a manual because I prefer the control, and after all my time spent driving shifting gears is an instinct and not a burden. If I drive someone elses Auto I have this constant anxious feeling that something is missing.

Also the hills in Queensland really suit a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    I can drive manual, but I really prefer not to. Extra effort for no real gain; my motorcycle being the exception, of course. On a bike the extra control for manual gear control actually matters.
    Completely agree. I've owned several manual cars in my life but it's likely I'll go back to automatic on my next one, as manual is a sizable pain in the ass.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, especially if properly sharpened and in the hands of a well trained ninja.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    I have a 6 speed. I won't drive anything but a manual transmission.

I was born, raised, and live in America. I guess that puts the in the "not quite so true" category.
    How so? Show me a non-American who only knows how to drive an automatic.

I didn't say Americans can't drive a manual, I said all non-Americans know how to drive a manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.