Poll: Can you drive a manual transmission?

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Why learn to play piano, right? Just get a self playing version.
    You make a cogent point there. For most people, learning to play a piano is a silly waste of time. Why indeed.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    automatics are very rare in Europe, mostly its in the e-class of old men. It has a bad reputation for beeing used by old, slow and non- or inattantive people.

The only younger automatics driver i personally know only has one leg (the right one), the left one is a prothesis. Thats the only reason to go auto on a car I can comprehend.

What is really important to guys in my countrie is the control about traction. if u live in the snowy mountains of austria, and u want to go somewhere in winter, when its ice, snow, in the mountains, having a automatic transmission means u get stuck pretty soon.
    You have no control on how to start going, (sometimes im required to drive from stand at a crossing in 3rd gear with clutch-gaming to not have the tires loose traction when driving to my grandpas house for example) and will burry your car on a snowy road on the slightest slope u have to stop. Most autos are very bad for environments where u want some control about traction, thats why nobody uses them.

I like manuals better...a lot better. but if I were to sit in traffic, in a city....everyday.... I would have felt retarded not getting an automatic. so much more relaxing not having to rev the engine and clutch every three feet. its a lot less polluting as well..in a city, for the same reason. talking about that..how on earth is still diesels legal in most countries? they are pollution bombs deluxe as they give off many times the amount of nox and shit then a petrol car
    Last edited by wooters; 2016-11-21 at 12:13 PM.

Deleted
    The real question is, if you're not power shifting and trail braking are you even driving at all!?

Engine braking is a huge reason why I drive a manual and I also like to actually drive my car as opposed to it just being transport

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    So yeah it's quite a contrast that we have really strict tests that are fairly easy to fail, and then in the US you don't even need to know how to drive a manual to get a licence!
    You can take an auto only test in the UK, it's identical to the manual one except they don't care what gear you're in (unless going downhill).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wooters View Post
    how on earth is still diesels legal in most countries?
    They are considered less polluting than petrol cars so popular due to the cheaper emissions taxes/charges. Also the higher MPG means lower fuel costs and most countries don't have the USA's super cheap fuel.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    There's really no reason for them anymore, as automatics are just as efficient now.
    Automatics are significantly more expensive, first to manufacture and more noticeably to repair when they break.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    They are considered less polluting than petrol cars so popular due to the cheaper emissions taxes/charges. Also the higher MPG means lower fuel costs and most countries don't have the USA's super cheap fuel.

they give more MPG yes. but they pollute a lot....more. they are about the same or better as petrol engines...if you talk about gasses that are bad for global warming. but for giving out stuff that hurt living things on this planet.....they release 5-20+ times as much of that as a petrol engine. you know..pollution that triggers cancer, allergies, lung issues, death.. apparently, politicians care more about a tiny advantage in global warming, then poisoning their own population lol. the whole thing really highlight their cluelessness nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    It's kinda sad to see nationalism blinding you from the fact that your country is flawed.
    Nationalist? Haha, stop it, I'm choking! OMG.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wooters View Post
    I like manuals better...a lot better. but if I were to sit in traffic, in a city....everyday.... I would have been retarded not getting an automatic. so much more relaxing not having to rev the engine and clutch every three feet. its a lot less polluting as well..in a city, for the same reason. talking about that..how on earth is still diesels legal in most countries? they are pollution bombs deluxe as they give off many times the amount of nox and shit then a petrol car
    I agree about the traffic. But I tend not to get into those situations thanks to Google and a really smart on the fly navigation system. As for diesel... well, up until now they promised us it wouldn't be much worse for the environment. We'll see how this develops, but I think the car industry is going to be in for a shock once the Government implements new test procedures. And that'll have ramifications for everyone else, too.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Automatics are significantly more expensive, first to manufacture and more noticeably to repair when they break.
    However, automatics typically last the life of a car without needing repair. Clutches in manual transmissions, on the other hand, do not. Clutch replacement in the US typically costs around $700-900.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    their attention is preoccupied by shifting).
    If someones attention is occupied by shifting then they should not have a license. Shifting should be as normal and automatic as breathing, otherwise you fail.
    Case: Corsair 750D MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 MARK1 CPU: i7 6700K (4.7GHz) CPU Cooling: Corsair H115i
    PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W Platinum GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified 6GB SSD1: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro
    SSD2: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro RAM: Corsair 32GB DOMINATOR Monitor: Asus 27" VG278H 120Hz

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Well then why is it bad that i said the UK lives in the past?
    Because that's nothing but a petty insult. It's not based in reality, it's just a cheap shot at a country that, as a whole, seems to not value automatics as much as manuals. For whatever reason they may have. There isn't even a point to your post, it's just there to insult the British. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    You make a cogent point there. For most people, learning to play a piano is a silly waste of time. Why indeed.
    Learning to play a piano isn't a silly waste of time. Unless you are autistic or somehow else emotionless. Playing an instrument is an awesome thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Learning to play a piano isn't a silly waste of time. Unless you are autistic or somehow else emotionless. Playing an instrument is an awesome thing.
    It's an obsolete display of social status, a fossil from an era when it demonstrated membership in a certain social class.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    However, automatics typically last the life of a car without needing repair.
    That depends on the life expectancy of the car. Most automatic transmission would probably have failed by 200 000 miles, and if you're unlucky, as early as 30 000. A clutch should last about 100 000 miles. So I would say that expecting 2 clutch changes for every autobox repair is being generous, and the cost of such a repair (or replacement) can be 5-10 times the cost of a clutch replacement (I know a few people who have had to replace multitronic gearboxes on their vaunted Audis, and still more who have needed hefty repairs to the fancy Merc autos).

On average, the cost of maintaining an auto is going to exceed that of a manual over the long term. Even if you plan to scrap your car before the expected end of life of the auto box, you still run a significant risk of a costly premature failure. Unless you're going to get rid of your car before the warranty expires, I reckon on average you'll pay more in maintenance for the auto. But bear in mind, you shouldn't lose a clutch if you're getting rid of your car that soon either.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Are you required to learn to use a slide rule to get a university degree too?
    it would be a good idea cos kids nowadays can't reason for shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...115-story.html
    Manual transmissions are now only offered on 27% of American models (down from 47% 10 years ago), and only 3% of cars sold have one.
    Who here knows how to drive a manual?
    I haven never in my 45 years on earth used automatic transmission. I only know how to drive with manual transmission. I would need to learn to use automatic. But I'm from Germany. Automatic here is no as popular as it is in USA. My first automatic will be my next car in 1-2 years because I play to buy a electric one.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

It's an obsolete display of social status, a fossil from an era when it demonstrated membership in a certain social class.
    eh no, playing music develops your brain and kinda prevents you from developing into single-tracked autistic automaton. It may be too late for you tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapporius View Post
    eh no, playing music develops your brain and kinda prevents you from developing into single-tracked autistic automaton. It may be too late for you tho.
    There are plenty of other ways to develop your brain. Many of them involve learning skills that are actually useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer a manual transmission when I'm living in a place that has interesting roads, unlike Houston.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Or simply don't like piano or don't find any sort of emotional stimulation in music or have other things you'd rather do more or...
    There are plenty of other ways to develop your brain. Many of them involve learning skills that are actually useful.
    My point about autism still stands. If you think playing an instrument is about display of social status, you really are missing something. But to continue this discussion is pointless and way off topic, it's like discussing Schrödinger's cat with your dog.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    As someone who was forced to learn playing the piano from 6 to 16, I can only wonder about your comment.

You need a serious lack of empathy to believe learning how to play the piano is worthwhile for everyone. Everyone has a different taste in music.