Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

IPS vs TN Panel - Monitor help

Hi all,

I plan to purchase a new monitor. Although I was initially planning to buy an Asus MG279Q (1440p 144hz IPS panel) for $550, I stumbled upon Acer XG270HU, which is only $380 because of a Black Friday deal. The only difference between these 2 is that Asus is an IPS panel while Acer is a TN panel. The price difference between these two is $ 170.

My question is whether an IPS screen is worth the $170 extra. Although I have no specific budget, buying something that provides greater value is always welcome.

Thanks all,

PS: Is there any chance that the Asus will go in sale this week?

IMHO TN's are superior to IPS as PC displays, the only real downside to TN is viewing angle and for a monitor this is not a problem for anyone that uses their PC in a normal way. With IPS displays nearly all of them have what is called "ips glow" where some parts of the screen appear to be glowing and can be far more distracting than TN color shift. 379.00 is a good price for a 1440p 144hz display, go for it man.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    IMHO TN's are superior to IPS as PC displays, the only real downside to TN is viewing angle and for a monitor this is not a problem for anyone that uses their PC in a normal way. With IPS displays nearly all of them have what is called "ips glow" where some parts of the screen appear to be glowing and can be far more distracting than TN color shift. 379.00 is a good price for a 1440p 144hz display, go for it man.
    Would you recommend ASUS PG278Q over the ASUS PG279Q for new 10 series Geforce Nvidia Cards. I am thinking if I am going to keep a monitor for another 6-8 years I may aswell throw some money at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79r5rxS276Y
    Last edited by Hightotemz; 2016-11-22 at 07:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm using an Acer 1440p 25in ips deal and my screen doesn't have that glow. Sticking with IPS screens myself as the TN color shifting annoyed me to no end on the last two monitors I owned.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

I assume you mean mg278q, and again that would depend on the person. Some people say IPS glow does not bother them, some people simply cannot stand it. Thats why i think TN is a safer recommendation to people. Gsync/freesync is marketing BS and no one should buy a display based on the graphics card they have, adaptive sync tech will only start to become relevant with 4k displays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, using an Nvidia GPU atm (even though I'm an AMD fanboy :P) and I'll never buy a Gsync monitor. Only a fool locks themselves to a brand and a specific item.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by stripesrus View Post
    Hi all,

I plan to purchase a new monitor. Although I was initially planning to buy an Asus MG279Q (1440p 144hz IPS panel) for $550, I stumbled upon Acer XG270HU, which is only $380 because of a Black Friday deal. The only difference between these 2 is that Asus is an IPS panel while Acer is a TN panel. The price difference between these two is $ 170.

My question is whether an IPS screen is worth the $170 extra. Although I have no specific budget, buying something that provides greater value is always welcome.

Thanks all,

PS: Is there any chance that the Asus will go in sale this week?
    I have used TN and IPS, and now I use only ISP, the " IPS Glow " I never notice on my Asus monitor. Compaired to TN IPS has better viewing angles and must better color reproduction, some will try to use response time as a defense for the outdated TN standard but with modern monitors they run neck and neck with response time. For me the switch to IPS was well worth the cost.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    I have used TN and IPS, and now I use only ISP, the " IPS Glow " I never notice on my Asus monitor. Compaired to TN IPS has better viewing angles and must better color reproduction, some will try to use response time as a defense for the outdated TN standard but with modern monitors they run neck and neck with response time. For me the switch to IPS was well worth the cost.
    Which IPS monitor do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    Wrong.

The reason you even see IPS displays in monitors is because of how popular they became on TV's. If most people's living room's had couches in the center of the room, you wouldn't even have seen a single IPS PC monitor on the market.

TN is the matured PC display tech, modern ones are basically perfect. Some people think OLED is the future, but we are very far away from that and until then a good TN is as good as it gets for an all around PC monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    IPS glow is noticed the same way TN's color shifts are, which are both viewing angle offset. IPS glows has no specific parts of the screen or anything that display that property, just like TNs it's a panel wide thing. The main difference for IPS glow only manifest itself on dark scenes and requires a steeper viewing angle to be noticeable. IPS glow is also capable to be removed as opposed to TN viewing angle shift with an addition of an Advanced True White Polarizer (A-TW Polarizer), however very few panels use these despite LG having some more planned, supposedly. Of note the low glow panels I can think of are Eizo EV2450 and Dell U2414H, and the only no glow I know of is Eizo EV2736W.

People commonly confuse IPS glow with backlight bleed, which is a potential problem with every LCD type panel. It's very very crucial to not confuse these two.

To the OP, it's not just panel difference between the two for those monitor. Acer is a lot more stripped of functionality and ergonomics compared to the Asus one. I personally wouldn't pick any but if I must between the two it'd be the MG279Q.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-11-22 at 08:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me ISP gives better colour representation.
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    IPS glow is noticed the same way TN's color shifts are, which are both viewing angle offset. IPS glows has no specific parts of the screen or anything that display that property, just like TNs it's a panel wide thing. The main difference for IPS glow only manifest itself on dark scenes and requires a steeper viewing angle to be noticeable. IPS glow is also capable to be removed as opposed to TN viewing angle shift with an addition of an Advanced True White Polarizer (A-TW Polarizer), however very few panels use these despite LG having some more planned, supposedly. Of note the low glow panels I can think of are Eizo EV2450 and Dell U2414H, and the only no glow I know of is Eizo EV2736W.

People commonly confuse IPS glow with backlight bleed, which is a potential problem with every LCD type panel.
    The thing is from my experience people are far more likely to be annoyed with IPS glow than TN color shift. Of course there are exceptions and the reverse is true, but generally i believe most people will be more comfortable and less likely to return a TN display.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lordzed83 View Post
    To me ISP gives better colour representation.
    This has nothing to do with panel type, TN can display just as many colors as an IPS. You probably have just seen cheap TN panels with bad calibration or more likely a very poor screen coating. High end TN have less intrusive coatings that make the lower end screens colors look washed out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrong.

The reason you even see IPS displays in monitors is because of how popular they became on TV's. If most people's living room's had couches in the center of the room, you wouldn't even have seen a single IPS PC monitor on the market.

TN is the matured PC display tech, modern ones are basically perfect. Some people think OLED is the future, but we are very far away from that and until then a good TN is as good as it gets for an all around PC monitor.
    No TV uses IPS, they use VA of some sort. Which has a better viewing angle property than TN but worse than IPS. However it has less off angle glow but still suffers a bit of off angle gamma and color shift.

Also OLED is overhyped for desktop use. The only scenario I would prefer to use OLED (provided they can get the energy usage down more) are mobile (not talking laptop) platforms. Otherwise Crystal LED (rip) or Plasma would be better for image quality. Cons on all panels however.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-11-22 at 08:34 AM.

No TV uses IPS, they use VA of some sort.
    What? Almost all of LG's LCD screens are IPS and vizio has quite a few in their high end range as well. My point was more about viewing angles tho, if it wasnt important for living rooms you wouldnt see those types of features trickle down to monitors because it matters so much less.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-11-22 at 08:41 AM.

The thing is from my experience people are far more likely to be annoyed with IPS glow than TN color shift. Of course there are exceptions and the reverse is true, but generally i believe most people will be more comfortable and less likely to return a TN display.

- - - Updated - - -

This has nothing to do with panel type, TN can display just as many colors as an IPS. You probably have just seen cheap TN panels with bad calibration or more likely a very poor screen coating. High end TN have less intrusive coatings that make the lower end screens colors look washed out.
    Are you able to recommend some good TN monitors. Either 1080 or 1440 is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hightotemz View Post
    Which IPS monitor do you have?
    I use an Asus ProArt
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by Hightotemz View Post
    Are you able to recommend some good TN monitors. Either 1080 or 1440 is fine.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/PK8H...monitor-24gm77
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/rY98...monitor-xg2401
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/yRs8...onitor-xl2430t

1440p 144hz screens are a bit overpriced so i cant recommend any, except the one that is on sale right now at 379:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/t4Cr...tor-umhg0aa001

Of all these i think the LG is the best one because it has motion blur reduction built in (the benq does as well, but its a lot more expensive, this reduces the monitors max brightness but gives a neat smoothing effect to everything that mimics CRT gaming:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/motion_blur.htm

Motion blur reduction is much more noticeable than gsync or freesync ever will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? Almost all of LG's LCD screens are IPS and vizio has quite a few in their high end range as well.
    However Sony, Sharp, Samsung, and such use VAs, and IPS just aren't popular due to poor contrast. Just cause some companies use it does not mean it's very popular in the TV space.

However Sony, Sharp, Samsung, and such use VAs, and IPS just aren't popular due to poor contrast. Just cause some companies use it does not mean it's very popular in the TV space.
    You said:
    No TV uses IPS, they use VA of some sort.
    Also, check my edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Yeah, using an Nvidia GPU atm (even though I'm an AMD fanboy :P) and I'll never buy a Gsync monitor. Only a fool locks themselves to a brand and a specific item.
    buying a Freesync monitor you "lock" yourself to AMD GPUs tho lul

and Gsync has some advantages over Freesync (such as what Ive listed below, as well as working in windowed modes)

o/t: I would buy IPS (TN colors and angles are just trash IMHO) and try to get Gsync or at least Freesync .. but keep in mind if you go for 1440p 144Hz IPS then its nigh-impossible to get a Freesync model with a full working 30(40)-144 Hz range .. the only one is XF270HU (40-144), but it has scalar problems and ghosting problems (subpar implementation of Freesync VRR here .. this happens since AMD doesnt QC Freesync monitors (they leave it up to the monitor maker) like Nvidia does Gsync ones) .. other 1440p 144Hz IPS Freesync monitors (like MG279Q or the Eizo one) only work in Freesync ranges of 30(40)-75 Hz OR 57-144 Hz .. Gsync equivalents have no such issue, they all work perfectly in 30-144(165)Hz Gsync ranges, but they are also more expensive

if you dont care about Gsync/Freesync though then this doesnt matter, just buy a 144Hz IPS IMO (or even VA)